Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times

Advertisements

My educational background is in Physiology, Anatomy, and the Health Sciences. I have been looking at getting training as an EMT or possibly a Paramedic. I know the pay is crap, but I think this job could be a good fit for me in my situation.

The question is, how is the job field now in this area? From what I grasp, there are cut backs in Medicare in a lot of areas. Is this true for EMS as well? I'm also aware that in some places it's only volunteer. Well that can't work for me. If I'm getting paid peanuts that's fine I guess, but I need at least peanuts.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
In my experience, very few depts hire full time EMTs. They hire paramedics or dual trained firefighter/emts, but rarely just EMTs.

Private ambulance companies hire lots of EMTs.

Volunteer Fire Depts obviously use a lot of EMTs. Most pay by the run or something like that, but the amount is generally not considerable. Some vollies make pretty decent money because they run a lot of shifts, but it is not something you are going to want to live off of.

A realistic option is to work for an ambulance service to get paid, volunteer at a local FD to get some trauma experience, and then see from there what you want to to, decide if you want to continue your EMS education, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
In my experience, very few depts hire full time EMTs. They hire paramedics or dual trained firefighter/emts, but rarely just EMTs.

Volunteer Fire Depts obviously use a lot of EMTs. Most pay by the run or something like that, but the amount is generally not considerable. Some vollies make pretty decent money because they run a lot of shifts, but it is not something you are going to want to live off of.

A realistic option is to work for an ambulance service to get paid, volunteer at a local FD to get some trauma experience, and then see from there what you want to to, decide if you want to continue your EMS education, etc.
So Paramedic would be a better option? Do you know if any partial "on-line" classes exist or accelerated programs?

Thanks for the insight.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post

Joe do you know of any way to get some of the educational info cheaply (or free) so I can start learning this information? EMT or Paramedic. Maybe old editions to textbooks. whatever.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I think they both have a large, in-person clinical component more than book or online learning. That said, the training for paramedic is quite a lot longer and more intensive- I think a very solid intense year. I think EMT is something like 14 weeks. Maybe one could get an EMT and get some kind of job and have tuition reimbursement or some sort of support or credit for becoming a paramedic.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I know a guy who was an EMT and could not get a job. He said that here the Fire Dept responds first as there are more fire stations than ambulances. So you have to be a fireman first and w/o connections he could not get hired.

He then took paramedic training at a college but they discouraged him as they didn't think he had good enough skills. He had to go on a LOT of runs with the ambulances doing basic life supper skills.

He is now doing quite well as a junior at the university studying math. Not a stupid kid by any means!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think they both have a large, in-person clinical component more than book or online learning. That said, the training for paramedic is quite a lot longer and more intensive- I think a very solid intense year. I think EMT is something like 14 weeks. Maybe one could get an EMT and get some kind of job and have tuition reimbursement or some sort of support or credit for becoming a paramedic.
Thank you for the advise. I just bought a book. Can't start EMT classes until May (3 mth program), but I can take some time and study to get ahead and engrave the rote info in my brain. Maybe I could get someone to help with education to go onto Paramedic later on.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
So Paramedic would be a better option? Do you know if any partial "on-line" classes exist or accelerated programs?

Thanks for the insight.
It may vary somewhat, but Paramedic takes about 3-4 years in my state. EMT-B takes about 15 weeks, but you need at least a year of volunteer/paid work as an EMT-B to enter the EMT-I or Paramedic program. Paramedic is then an additional 2 years.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I know a guy who was an EMT and could not get a job. He said that here the Fire Dept responds first as there are more fire stations than ambulances. So you have to be a fireman first and w/o connections he could not get hired.

He then took paramedic training at a college but they discouraged him as they didn't think he had good enough skills. He had to go on a LOT of runs with the ambulances doing basic life supper skills.

He is now doing quite well as a junior at the university studying math. Not a stupid kid by any means!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thanks. As far as I'm concerned, I've found a brick wall in just about every where I have turned. This economy is awful and in a huge bubble, and it looks like a potential War with Iran is brewing. So Emergency Medicine it is I guess. At least I'll have a hands-on unique skill that is valuable. Looks like I'll be sleeping in the Van homeless waiting for my volunteer shift.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It may vary somewhat, but Paramedic takes about 3-4 years in my state. EMT-B takes about 15 weeks, but you need at least a year of volunteer/paid work as an EMT-B to enter the EMT-I or Paramedic program. Paramedic is then an additional 2 years.
3-4 years? That must be from a General college or university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search