Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

Note: Didn't know if I could post this here or not, so please feel free to delete (like I really have a choice )

I'm trying to change into a career that uses my education more than retail background.
=====================================

DON’T KNOW WHAT TO REALLY WRITE HERE

Summary of Skills

- 12 years retail leadership experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong communication skills
- Individual and Team player
- Knowledge of Six Sigma/LEAN Operations
- R, SPSS, SAS, SQL, Oracle
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Budgeting and Forecast Analysis

Education

MBA, Management and Strategy
XXXXX University, 2012
Coursework: Human Resources, Supply Chain Management, Risk Management, Leadership, Financial Analysis, Decision Analysis, Organizational Management, Strategic Management,
E-Business, Social Responsibility

Bachelor of Science, Economics
University of XXXXXX, 2011
Coursework: Econometrics, Statistics, Accounting, Labor Economics, Health Economics, Environmental and Natural Resources, Calculus 1-3, Latin American Economic Development

Experience

Business Office Volunteer 02/2004 – 03/2011
XXXXXXX, Salt Lake City, UT
- Redesigned website resulting in 20% increase in donations.
- Streamlined application process resulting in 45% increase in applications.
- Increased volunteer base 33% by utilizing online resources.
- Researched new grant opportunities and presented results to Director.

Seasonal Housekeeper 01/2003 – 07/2003
XXXXXXXXXX, Moran, WY
- Provided housekeeping services for 28 guest rooms, 6 suites, and 54 cabins.
- Assisted other housekeepers until all guests were serviced.
- Maintained clean, orderly, and well stocked linen closets and carts.

Seasonal Retail Sales Clerk 05/2002 – 09/2002
XXXXXXXX, Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Stocked shelves, assisted local artists with displays, and maintained a clean and orderly store.
- Provided excellent customer service to all park visitors.
- First store to reach $1,000,000 in sales for the season.

Assistant Manager 03/2000 – 04/2002
XXXXXXXXX, Salt Lake City, UT
- Hired, trained, and managed staff of 12.
- Created and implemented new kids meal marketing strategy resulting in 120% increased sales.
- Created training manual decreasing employee turnover rate by 68%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Note: Didn't know if I could post this here or not, so please feel free to delete (like I really have a choice )

I'm trying to change into a career that uses my education more than retail background.
=====================================

DON’T KNOW WHAT TO REALLY WRITE HERE

Summary of Skills

- 12 years retail leadership experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong communication skills
- Individual and Team player
- Knowledge of Six Sigma/LEAN Operations
- R, SPSS, SAS, SQL, Oracle
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Budgeting and Forecast Analysis

Education

MBA, Management and Strategy
XXXXX University, 2012
Coursework: Human Resources, Supply Chain Management, Risk Management, Leadership, Financial Analysis, Decision Analysis, Organizational Management, Strategic Management,
E-Business, Social Responsibility

Bachelor of Science, Economics
University of XXXXXX, 2011
Coursework: Econometrics, Statistics, Accounting, Labor Economics, Health Economics, Environmental and Natural Resources, Calculus 1-3, Latin American Economic Development

Experience

Business Office Volunteer 02/2004 – 03/2011
XXXXXXX, Salt Lake City, UT
- Redesigned website resulting in 20% increase in donations.
- Streamlined application process resulting in 45% increase in applications.
- Increased volunteer base 33% by utilizing online resources.
- Researched new grant opportunities and presented results to Director.

Seasonal Housekeeper 01/2003 – 07/2003
XXXXXXXXXX, Moran, WY
- Provided housekeeping services for 28 guest rooms, 6 suites, and 54 cabins.
- Assisted other housekeepers until all guests were serviced.
- Maintained clean, orderly, and well stocked linen closets and carts.

Seasonal Retail Sales Clerk 05/2002 – 09/2002
XXXXXXXX, Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Stocked shelves, assisted local artists with displays, and maintained a clean and orderly store.
- Provided excellent customer service to all park visitors.
- First store to reach $1,000,000 in sales for the season.

Assistant Manager 03/2000 – 04/2002
XXXXXXXXX, Salt Lake City, UT
- Hired, trained, and managed staff of 12.
- Created and implemented new kids meal marketing strategy resulting in 120% increased sales.
- Created training manual decreasing employee turnover rate by 68%.

Under your skills summary, I am certain many people will not know what all those initials stand for. And you can benefit from more bullet points under each main headline.
Downplay the retail, increase the info in the rest!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
i would take the retail positions off. you probably want to downplay your age, too, since i'm guessing you're an older student who went back to school later. don't make it so obvious. on the skills section, take out the 12 years retail leadership experience and put the customer service at the bottom. maybe say "over 5 years leadership/management experience" instead. your resume right now tells me that you probably "should've" gone to college in about 2000-2002, but didn't go til 2004 and then took 7 years to graduate while volunteering. im probably totally off and i dont know the whole story, but you don't want your readers to get that impression.

are there any activities you did while in school that were relevant to your major? what kind of jobs are you applying to?

Last edited by brocco; 03-06-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
One option....Remove the Coursework section for both degrees. Too much info

Oracle what? There are many software tools from Oracle.

Wonder if you could create several versions of the resume and see which gets most calls.

Wondering if you should remove all or most of the work experience and just keep the degrees and the volunteer work. In that case, maybe keep the Coursework detail since you would be removing all the work experience.

Are you willing to relocate to another city/state? Your location might be your real issue...not enough opportunities that match your education in your current location???

Maybe go after a bigger city or go after Fortune 500 companies and move where the opening is located.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i would take the retail positions off. you probably want to downplay your age, too, since i'm guessing you're an older student who went back to school later. don't make it so obvious. on the skills section, take out the 12 years retail leadership experience and put the customer service at the bottom. maybe say "over 5 years leadership/management experience" instead. your resume right now tells me that you probably "should've" gone to college in about 2000-2002, but didn't go til 2004 and then took 7 years to graduate while volunteering. im probably totally off and i dont know the whole story, but you don't want your readers to get that impression.

are there any activities you did while in school that were relevant to your major? what kind of jobs are you applying to?

Nothing directly related. No time for activities--very involved in child and his education.

Total background: 12 years retail, 2 years hospitality, 7 years non-profit

Went back to school in 2005. Earned A.S. in 2007, B.S in 2011, MBA in 2012.

The MBA program had me very busy in addition to volunteering at son's school for 2 years (but since child related I have been told to keep it off). I had 4 on-site projects in e-business, supply chain, social responsibility, and a capstone course.

As far as jobs I am looking for: anything. I just don't want to go back to retail. Entry-level is perfect as long as it will pay the bills. I have a lot of knowledge about many subjects but donate it to other people and projects. I have opened many stores from business plan, loan process, ordering, pricing, hiring, etc. I have not "worked" for any of these companies though.

I do love budgets, financials, planning, price points, market analysis, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Are you willing to relocate to another city/state? Your location might be your real issue...not enough opportunities that match your education in your current location???

Maybe go after a bigger city or go after Fortune 500 companies and move where the opening is located.

I am moving to NW Washington as soon as I get a good job lead/offer. I really can't move without something since my kid doesn't understand not having a place to sleep.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM

have you checked Fed Govt jobs? They pay more for degrees, the higher the education the higher the pay.

There is one fed job site that you can search for jobs. they would love all your experience and education.

Also checked county and city govt in your area. Check hospitals also...can be a better job than retail and you can transfer within.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM

go after fortune 500 companies in the area you are targeting. Check their web sites at least once per week.

How about hotel/motel? Since you have the experience? Like a Hampton Inn or something like that? Maybe you can get in your local area now and transfer to WA? Or see if you can get directly in WA as well.

This is why I suggested several resumes...going after Hotel industry you want to make sure you let them see your direct experience.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Nothing directly related. No time for activities--very involved in child and his education.

Total background: 12 years retail, 2 years hospitality, 7 years non-profit

Went back to school in 2005. Earned A.S. in 2007, B.S in 2011, MBA in 2012.

The MBA program had me very busy in addition to volunteering at son's school for 2 years (but since child related I have been told to keep it off). I had 4 on-site projects in e-business, supply chain, social responsibility, and a capstone course.

As far as jobs I am looking for: anything. I just don't want to go back to retail. Entry-level is perfect as long as it will pay the bills. I have a lot of knowledge about many subjects but donate it to other people and projects. I have opened many stores from business plan, loan process, ordering, pricing, hiring, etc. I have not "worked" for any of these companies though.

I do love budgets, financials, planning, price points, market analysis, etc.
maybe you list more details about your mba projects to fill in the space left from the retail jobs.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Why did you ask the same question twice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search