Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 PM

29 posts, read 121,866 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for work since moving to Boston in October and received a bit of good fortune this week with 7 interviews being scheduled and actually receiving a job offer this afternoon! I accepted the offer but am not scheduled to come in until late next week to do the paperwork. However, I still have an interview scheduled for tomorrow and one for early next week. Both of these jobs would pay more (+20%) than the offered job and offer more room for growth. Both of these will be my first in person after lengthy phone interviews.

How should I proceed with these interviews? Should I mention anything about already having an offer? I know sometimes there can be more scheduled interviews afterward and am worried about how I could schedule it. I do know that both of these interviews are with department heads. I also know that I've had interviewers ask flat out if I have other interviews scheduled and where.

Thanks for any help. I'm so happy to have an offer and don't want to mess it up but I also don't want to miss out on a better opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Congrats on the job offer.

Yes, keep interviewing, and no NEVER mention you have another offer.

Since you have the time available go ahead and interiview.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Congrats on the job offer.

Yes, keep interviewing, and no NEVER mention you have another offer.

Since you have the time available go ahead and interiview.
I remember going to a interview after I already received a job offer and it was a pleasure to go to a interview knowing that I didn't need the job. I even went to the interview without a suit jacket-LMAO

And they still offered me the job

Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM

I just hope they aren't like some places where you have 5 different interviews, a tour of the facilities, a day on the job, and what not. I thought I'd have a huge sense of relief when I got an offer but I'm still in worry land, lol. Can't wait till it's all behind me.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashells2 View Post
I just hope they aren't like some places where you have 5 different interviews, a tour of the facilities, a day on the job, and what not. I thought I'd have a huge sense of relief when I got an offer but I'm still in worry land, lol. Can't wait till it's all behind me.
Is the offer you received the job you want? If so then why worry about what the other interviews are going to be like?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Don't get ahead of yourself. Look at this way, you have a job.

So you will be more relaxed on this interview, if it turns out that it is going to be a long drawn out process that starts to conflict with your new position then you will need to say something if you want to pursue this other position.

However you want to be careful not to jeapordize your new job.

For example if they want a 2nd interview after you have already started then you need to schedule after hours.

But remember you have the one job, which is worth more than an interview.

Best of luck.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is the offer you received the job you want? If so then why worry about what the other interviews are going to be like?
Yes and No. Having been unemployed for 6 months, I don't feel I'm in any position to decline a reasonable offer. However, the job is only guaranteed through August although they said it is likely to be extended.

The other jobs pay more, offer more room for growth, are about 15 minutes closer, and are not limited.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Yes and No. Having been unemployed for 6 months, I don't feel I'm in any position to decline a reasonable offer. However, the job is only guaranteed through August although they said it is likely to be extended.

The other jobs pay more, offer more room for growth, are about 15 minutes closer, and are not limited.
I wouldn't accept a job that is only guaranteed until August if I already have a job. Now me being unemployed could accept a job like that because

1. Makes my resume more up to date
2. Have the possibility of being extended

That's too risky for someone like you.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't accept a job that is only guaranteed until August if I already have a job. Now me being unemployed could accept a job like that because

I didn't have a job, and hadn't since October when I accepted.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Is this through a temp agency? I would pursue the other jobs if they're permanent(or as permanent as things are these days).

Because while August may sound far off, it will be here in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search