Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times

Advertisements

I am working with a professional resume writer and they had me write down every job I have ever had by category. It has my retail, hospitality, volunteer, and "other" work on it. Here's the thing...since I was 15 years old I have "helped" (as I call it) others with a variety of tasks: website design, business plans, grants, advertising copy, manuscript editing, labor budgeting, volunteer recruitment, tutoring, and a variety of other things. The resume writer was surprised by this because I always feel like I haven't done anything except for school since my last paid job. They want to add that "helping" to my resume as a "Freelance contractor 1990-Present" as my first position, followed by a volunteer business office position I held from 2004-2011. I am still in email contact with a few of the people I helped in the past, but this seems a little strange to me. I didn't have a business license or receive much money. Most of what I do is donated time because I have the knowledge to do something they need help with. It's really not a big deal to me, but they want to play it up because some of what I have done is relevant to what I want to do.

So, my question is: Is it normal to put this on a resume? What happens on the application and background check when they want a company name, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:21 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
Did you report the income for tax purposes? If so, there's some proof. I was self-employed for several years. Had a few longer term gigs, but many one-and-done type projects, and I passed a govt bg investigation, but I was truthful. If you are being truthful and reported the income, you should be okay.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Yes, yes and yes to including this on your resumé!

I don't understand the tax question. I've never asked a prospective employee questions about tax status or whether or not he or she declared earnings on freelance work and I can't imagine it's something which is going to come up on any background check.

If the question comes up about references from any of the people you helped, you have a couple and that's all you'll need. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I have done freelance consulting and never had a business license for it and it's not required, so I was not breaking any rules. I did report related income on my IRS income tax forms.

However, any free work that you did - you would not be required to report to the IRS.

I like the idea from the professional resume writer.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Why are you so worried?

Prospective employers aren't going to investigate your background like the CIA.

Put that stuff on there!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM

607 posts, read 978,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I am working with a professional resume writer and they had me write down every job I have ever had by category. It has my retail, hospitality, volunteer, and "other" work on it. Here's the thing...since I was 15 years old I have "helped" (as I call it) others with a variety of tasks: website design, business plans, grants, advertising copy, manuscript editing, labor budgeting, volunteer recruitment, tutoring, and a variety of other things. The resume writer was surprised by this because I always feel like I haven't done anything except for school since my last paid job. They want to add that "helping" to my resume as a "Freelance contractor 1990-Present" as my first position, followed by a volunteer business office position I held from 2004-2011. I am still in email contact with a few of the people I helped in the past, but this seems a little strange to me. I didn't have a business license or receive much money. Most of what I do is donated time because I have the knowledge to do something they need help with. It's really not a big deal to me, but they want to play it up because some of what I have done is relevant to what I want to do.

So, my question is: Is it normal to put this on a resume? What happens on the application and background check when they want a company name, etc.
Not to be mean, but this is one of the examples of why people struggle on the job market. They don't know how to properly market their experience and skills.

When an employer does an employment verification check, they are looking for job title held, dates of employment, and a person that can verify that you worked there. There are variations of that theme based on the job you are trying to get.

The person that was advising you was correct.

You also don't have to report income for specific types of employment if it was below a certain amount. Even in this case you put it on your resume if it helps you.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
I brought up the tax issue in reference to the portion of the question re: background check. I have no idea what type of employment, and therefore, what level of check may be done

Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The OP is trying to find any entry level professional position anywhere.

I included an under-the-table position on my resume when I landed a finance position at one of the nation's largest banks.

If the OP has references for the work she did, there is no reason whatsoever for her to exclude it from her resume.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM

89 posts, read 240,175 times
oh the irony of being a professional resume writer

Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why are you so worried?

Prospective employers aren't going to investigate your background like the CIA.

Put that stuff on there!

I was contacted by a company because they were running a background check on me. They couldn't contact a former employer because they were closed. The 3rd party wanted me to fax them my w2, bank statement showing a deposit from this company, and a copy of my SS card. As much as I would like a job, I am not giving out this info...besides, the position was over 10 years ago and I don't keep tax records past 7 years and cashed my paychecks back then. I would hate to not pass a background check because the resume writer includes freelance work.

Some of the companies I apply with use HireRight for their background checks and a couple of the companies I have worked for do not verify employment, they have gone to using a company called "The Work Number".

So yes, I am overly concerned about this. I am worrying too much about this, but I usually do really well in interviews (outside of my current location that is) and would hate for this to mess things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search