Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times

Advertisements

I like the online application process. No need to drive or even call, everything can be done quickly and efficiently online. I can apply to jobs all over the country, fast and efficiently, and in the comfort of my own apartment.

Things I don't like... While I think it's good that the process opens up the ability of employers to have a lager selection of potential workers, I also think it is leading to some real rock bottom wages for many Americans. Yes, that's business, and no one is forcing them to take the wages offered, but we've seen an alarming rise of the number of Americans collecting food stamps and other government subsidies. Obviously, this won't be so great for the nation as a whole, or the tax paying base. I also don't like how many companies refuse to post wage/salary ranges. How can I know if I will work for you if you don't include what you can afford to pay? I'm pretty reasonable on wages, especially if the benefits are suitable, and I'd rather see someone supporting a family getting the higher payscale, but I'm obviously not going to starve for a job either. Obviously the company will want to pay as little as possible, but let's not waste each others time here... I can always move along down the line if the scale is not feasible.

I find smaller companies are much more realistic and direct when it comes to the whole online application process. Generally, I will speak to an owner as opposed to a whole bureaucracy, so we each see eye to eye on the value of time. Here's what I can offer, sounds good to me, when do I start? Was that really so hard? Maybe if larger companies weren't so famous for the run around game, they wouldn't need to employee all these HR managers, whose position was never originally intended or designed to be involved in the hiring process at all. Half the time, the larger companies don't even seem to know or understand the positions they are trying to fill, they just want to know how cheap you will work for... Then they hire lines of the cheapest workers and hope one works out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
The only way to challenge today's application process is "not to complete online applications" and find other ways to get employed.

I will never fill out another online application again after my experience two weeks ago

Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The only way to challenge today's application process is "not to complete online applications" and find other ways to get employed.
Agreed.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,330 times
Quote:

I will never fill out another online application again after my experience two weeks ago
Can you explain what happened? I thought you currently had a job anyhow.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I like the online application process. No need to drive or even call, everything can be done quickly and efficiently online. I can apply to jobs all over the country, fast and efficiently, and in the comfort of my own apartment.

Things I don't like... While I think it's good that the process opens up the ability of employers to have a lager selection of potential workers, I also think it is leading to some real rock bottom wages for many Americans. Yes, that's business, and no one is forcing them to take the wages offered, but we've seen an alarming rise of the number of Americans collecting food stamps and other government subsidies. Obviously, this won't be so great for the nation as a whole, or the tax paying base. I also don't like how many companies refuse to post wage/salary ranges. How can I know if I will work for you if you don't include what you can afford to pay? I'm pretty reasonable on wages, especially if the benefits are suitable, and I'd rather see someone supporting a family getting the higher payscale, but I'm obviously not going to starve for a job either. Obviously the company will want to pay as little as possible, but let's not waste each others time here... I can always move along down the line if the scale is not feasible.

I find smaller companies are much more realistic and direct when it comes to the whole online application process. Generally, I will speak to an owner as opposed to a whole bureaucracy, so we each see eye to eye on the value of time. Here's what I can offer, sounds good to me, when do I start? Was that really so hard? Maybe if larger companies weren't so famous for the run around game, they wouldn't need to employee all these HR managers, whose position was never originally intended or designed to be involved in the hiring process at all. Half the time, the larger companies don't even seem to know or understand the positions they are trying to fill, they just want to know how cheap you will work for... Then they hire lines of the cheapest workers and hope one works out...
Agreed.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
My own take on it:

1) Online applications: I really don't mind these since it makes it so much easier to find the jobs (or what passes for them) quickly, and applying to them is rather easy. The old method of going through the want ads from a dozen newspapers and mailing in piles of resumes is terribly impractical, and I wouldn't want to return to that.

However, while the jobs postings are easy to find, it seems no effort is put into them. I've lost track of the number of fake jobs, inaccurate jobs, jobs that are missing key information, etc. Just because one can toss up a bunch of crud online and get 100 resumes doesn't mean that doing so will actually get anyone a job or find any good candidates for the position. So, my message to would-be employers is this: put some effort into it! Geez... if the job applicants were this sloppy, they'd be disqualified immediately for being unprofessional!

2) The resume blackhole: There is simply no excuse for this, especially not in an era where email is cheap and a job posting can be updated immediately with a few mouse clicks.

If the job is filled, for Pete's sake, take it down and stop advertising it! If the company intends to hire "someday," make that clear in the job description! And if we get to an on-site interview, don't blow smoke up our rears with how "great" we are, and then break off all contact with us a week later and play stupid, acting as if the job interview never happened. Yeah, I get it - it's cheaper to hire no one. Fine, but if you're not going to hire anyone, stop posting fake jobs! I may be unemployed, but even I have better things to do with my time.

3) Absurd job applications: Just because the internet makes it possible to ask for the world with each job application doesn't mean that doing so makes sense. No, I shouldn't have to write an essay, attach a dozen different references, give you a copy of my college transcripts (yes, I still have them, but I bet many people don't), and my social security number just so I can be *considered* for a phone interview! Geez... if you want all that information, most of which is either not really needed for the job or which can be more easily verified later, ask for it once I actually have a shot at the position. I shouldn't be sending all that info off into some black hole.

Oh, and yes, the idiotic personality tests for retail work and similar positions need to stop. I don't have experience with these directly, but come on - really? These are poverty-wage jobs - the jobs people take just so they can *survive* - it's not like retail wage slaves have any real power, so who cares if their personality meets some idiotic corporate ideal? Considering what most corporations consider an ideal personality, I don't think I'd trust those crooks to be a good judge of character anyway.

So, that's why we're angry about the modern job application process - too many fake jobs, too much time wasted on nonsense, and in the end, we're stonewalled by ignorant people who lack any human empathy.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,063 times
Quote:
Because the amount of time it takes to complete the application makes most people hate it when there is a 95% chance you won't get a call back.
Ditto...

Some applications have taken me almost an hour to complete.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm assuming many 99ers are looking for anything, and retail is a large industry, with tons of openings all the time due to high turnover.
Retail is just like any other industry, the pickings are slim to none. I work in retail right now and it was hell to get started.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Ditto...

Some applications have taken me almost an hour to complete.
And that's why I won't ever complete another again

Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
And that's why I won't ever complete another again
Because an hour's worth of paperwork is clearly too much of an investment for an opportunity to get a job.

The obvious thing to do is to continue sitting at home waiting for the door to door job salesman to come knocking...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search