Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

173 posts, read 353,934 times

Advertisements

The problem with this forum is that people seem to prefer that we go back to the 18th century and do paper applications. You guys are completely unaware of the problems with paper applications and why online applications were made in the first place.

I am here to tell you that I'll be pretty damned if that happen.

There are 10 newsflashes I want to give you about why online applications were made, I've mentioned them in a previous thread. So I am going to re-create them in a more didactic way.

#1: Overpiled Frustration - There is a big issue with paper applications getting piled up, especially with those big companies like Target, Wal-mart, etc. Online Applications keeps it in a safe place and not having to stock up dozens of applications. If you think companies should pile up their applications, you need to get back to reality.

#2: Unknowledged Qualifications - I don't recall paper applications asking you to fix any errors on the application. Online Applications tells you to fix all mistakes by telling you what's valid and what not. You could submit a paper application unaware that the social security number in invalid. Is that what companies want?

#3: Open Positions - Most companies (and stores) only posts the positions that are open and only accept applications for those only positions. What's the point of applying for a Shift Manager at Mcdonald's if the restaurant isn't hiring for that position? Online Applications tell you what store is hiring and what positions they are hiring for. Also, for those of you who had NEVER got a call back from an online application; then it is more likely that they were only accepting applications.

#4: One Application, Five Stores - Do you really want to fill out five applications for each of the Target stores your applying for? I wouldn't. Some companies (like Wal-Mart) lets you send in only one application for five stores. Some even let you apply for multiple positions in one. If you believe that you should fill out the same applications for one company, then you have a problem with society.

#5: Gas - The best thing you want to do is save some gas and not waste your time driving around town. So the best place to apply for Target is at home.

#6: Privacy - If the paper application gets lost and found by a complete stranger, then he/she could steal your identity and realize your personal address. Basically, losing your social security number on the streets and having someone find it is giving someone your personal information. If you want to do paper applications, then you most likely want someone to find your social security number.

#7: Time Comsuption - I can guarantee you that the reason why you haven't found a job applying online isn't because recruiters NEVER look at your application, it is because they never have the time to do so. It could also be because they have other candidates to hire and better applicants to interview. Don't forget, time is money.

#8: 14 Pages - Why is it that people don't mind filling out a 14-page application on paper but despises taking 2 hours to complete an online application? Plus, do you want to re-do your application if you make one or more mistakes? Seriously, get back to reality.

#9: Illegitimate Excuses - It'll be semi-nice if everyone stopped making illegitmate excuses to do paper applications. We are in the 21st century, almost everything should be done on paper.

Yes, there are some things wrong with online applications. But they were made for a reason.

So tell me, what's all the hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
My only beef with online applications is companies that use those "enter all your stuff and upload your resume anyway" services. It would be nice if you could create an account so you don't have to do it every time.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
People that have been out of work a long time want to blame someone else for their predicament. That's just human nature. Even the best people can't get a job because there is so much competition, but they take it personally and blame it on such invalid things as incompetent HR people, dumb hiring managers, and online applications.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
The problem with this forum is that people seem to prefer that we go back to the 18th century and do paper applications. You guys are completely unaware of the problems with paper applications and why online applications were made in the first place.

There are 10 newsflashes I want to give you about why online applications were made, I've mentioned them in a previous thread. So I am going to re-create them in a more didactic way.

#1: Overpiled Frustration - There is a big issue with paper applications getting piled up, especially with those big companies like Target, Wal-mart, etc. Online Applications keeps it in a safe place and not having to stock up dozens of applications. If you think companies should pile up their applications, you need to get back to reality.

#2: Unknowledged Qualifications - I don't recall paper applications asking you to fix any errors on the application. Online Applications tells you to fix all mistakes by telling you what's valid and what not. You could submit a paper application unaware that the social security number in invalid. Is that what companies want?

#3: Open Positions - Most companies (and stores) only posts the positions that are open and only accept applications for those only positions. What's the point of applying for a Shift Manager at Mcdonald's if the restaurant isn't hiring for that position? Online Applications tell you what store is hiring and what positions they are hiring for. Also, for those of you who had NEVER got a call back from an online application; then it is more likely that they were only accepting applications.

#4: One Application, Five Stores - Do you really want to fill out five applications for each of the Target stores your applying for? I wouldn't. Some companies (like Wal-Mart) lets you send in only one application for five stores. Some even let you apply for multiple positions in one. If you believe that you should fill out the same applications for one company, then you have a problem with society.

#5: Gas - The best thing you want to do is save some gas and not waste your time driving around town. So the best place to apply for Target is at home.

#6: Privacy - If the paper application gets lost and found by a complete stranger, then he/she could steal your identity and realize your personal address. Basically, losing your social security number on the streets and having someone find it is giving someone your personal information. If you want to do paper applications, then you most likely want someone to find your social security number.

#7: Time Comsuption - I can guarantee you that the reason why you haven't found a job applying online isn't because recruiters NEVER look at your application, it is because they never have the time to do so. It could also be because they have other candidates to hire and better applicants to interview. Don't forget, time is money.

#8: 14 Pages - Why is it that people don't mind filling out a 14-page application on paper but despises taking 2 hours to complete an online application? Plus, do you want to re-do your application if you make one or more mistakes? Seriously, get back to reality.

#9: Illegitimate Excuses - It'll be semi-nice if everyone stopped making illegitmate excuses to do paper applications. We are in the 21st century, almost everything should be done on paper.

Yes, there are some things wrong with online applications. But they were made for a reason.

Because the amount of time it takes to complete the application makes most people hate it when there is a 95% chance you won't get a call back.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post

Also I decided to do a online application and when it asked for my social security number I decided not to do it.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Its takes longer to commute somewhere to do a paper app, which will take the same amount of time to complete. Its silly to believe paper apps will be coming back, unless of course, you also expect the horse and buggy to return.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Why does a store like Walmart need such a long application and online test? No matter what, Walmart employees tend to be miserable and provide terrible customer service.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Why does a store like Walmart need such a long application and online test? No matter what, Walmart employees tend to be miserable and provide terrible customer service.
Personally ... I think the long-convoluted application and personality assessments for Wal-Mart and other low skilled jobs are just a means to cut down the applicant pool as not everyone will have the patience to complete the process.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Personally ... I think the long-convoluted application and personality assessments for Wal-Mart and other low skilled jobs are just a means to cut down the applicant pool as not everyone will have the patience to complete the process.
Are online epplications supposed to ask for your SSN?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Are online epplications supposed to ask for your SSN?
I've seen some in the past that required the SSN number but companies have phased that out (fortunately). If you run into an application and it's mandating a SSN number, I would put in a random number or contact HR for guidance. I don't blame you for being leery about including that as I don't trust some random company to protect that piece of sensitive info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search