Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I think the most sensible approach is for the candidate to sign on while being interviewed. That way, passwords need not be given out, but the employer can immediately find out if there are any skeletons this person might carry over as a representative of the company. In addition, if there are any, it allows the candidate and the employer to discuss these concerns together. Some may seem less problematic to an employer if there is a logical reason for them.
Even expecting them to sign is inappropriate. It would akin to being expected to hand over bank statements. It also compromises the privacy of one's friends. If they did that, the applicant could always choose not to show certain things to the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
In this era, exploring how they use social media is a tool towards finding out early who might cause them embarrassment.
It does not require a person's password to explore how they use social media publicly, which is the ONLY factor that any particular employer is entitled to evaluate.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
It does not require a person's password to explore how they use social media publicly, which is the ONLY factor that any particular employer is entitled to evaluate.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Nope, I would not give them my real password.

Make up a fake profile for job interviews. Make it dull and boring. That's the one they'd get. They have no business in your personal life.

These companies are ridiculous.
There you go!! Good solution. FYI Prosecutors use facebook info, postings also.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Dental Floss, The Free Market should decide what employers and employees are entitled to.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
It's clear who the right wing, corporate donkey nut jobs are on here.
Now that made me chuckle!

Quote:
Bronco Quarterbacks, Where one went to college is a choice, too, do you want a law saying employers cannot ask where one went to school?
Where I went to school pertains to how well I may or may not do my job. A post on Facebook from my best friend's gay son about his new boyfriend does not.

Quote:
Employers do not want someone who will bring embarrassment to them, via their behavior.
In this case, they're doing it to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
They can accuse me of anything they like. I don't care. The fact is, it's invasion of privacy. Our rights are being chipped away one at a time and it just blows my mind that WE--the United States of America--are allowing it! I thought we were a nation of fighters, not survivors.
Preach it! Too bad the people who really need to hear it are deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I wonder what the protocol is for hiring "overseas employees"????
Boss: Will you work for $4 an hour?
Employee: Yes.
Boss: You're hired.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
It's an employer's market out there these days, and some employers are using that to their advantage with things such as this outrageous Facebook crap. The unemployed person who is under a lot of pressure to obtain a job ASAP to pay bills and put food on the table for his family may, knowing full well that it's an invasion of privacy, comply with the interviewer's request anyway to surrender their FB password b/c they need the job badly.

Personally, I would definitely refuse to give up my password, and would refuse to log into my FB account under the interviewer's watch, and would even refuse a friend request from HR or whatever. All of these cross the line, IMO. Not just for my privacy, but for my FB-connected friends and family. Some people do believe that one's personality & beliefs are partially influenced by the company they keep. I'd just politely tell the interviewer "No" and then immediately conclude the interview and exit the premises, since my decision was abruptly made at that point that I do not want to work there. And afterwards I may notify my friends and acquaintances (in case any of them are looking) that this employer has a history of engaging in this practice.

I think one reason this currently isn't illegal is because this is a relatively new practice that hasn't yet gotten widespread attention until now. Social media isn't that old and its widespread popularity is even younger. Hopefully, as articles like this one raise awareness, state and/or federal legislation will be introduced and passed to make this illegal. Right now, this FB password issue is a loophole that employers can exploit to possibly gain knowledge about a person that they legally aren't supposed to ask in an interview (marital status, political/religious affiliation, sexual orientation, etc)...and then take that info into account when making their hiring decision.

Sure, employers have a reputation to protect, and that its employee behavior and future hire behavior are important to protecting said image (esp. for folks higher up the food chain.) Some of these employers seem to be overly paranoid about that, though...I bet many of them have subpar work environments where many of the employees do their jobs in subtle fear.

Lots of good advice in this thread on how to protect yourself. Be careful what you post on other people's walls; be careful what you tweet on Twitter, etc etc.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
What is going to be the next thing?

If you go for a job you can be eliminated for:
1. being fired
2. not having a job right now (no value to them apparently unless you are someone else's worker)
3. smoking
4. drinking
5. being fat
6. having kids
7. being Black
8. being White
9. being some other race
and so on....

I have nothing to hide but maybe I don't WANT THEM reading my Facebook.

I would be one of the few to say no and then have no future at their company...

What's next??
Some of those are protected classes.... others seem reasonable.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
chef sunny 22"I would be one of the few to say no and then have no future at their company..."

Both parties would be exercising Free Choice.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Quote:
Dental Floss, The Free Market should decide what employers and employees are entitled to.
LOL. You right wingers and your almighty Free Market God. Free Market hasn't exactly been kind to the middle class the past 3+ decades. Lots has been written before on this so I will not expound on it. Suffice it to say laws and regulations are necessary for a reason, you would think the Great Recession would've taught some people, but I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search