Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

If they say no I wouldn't try and "haggle" anything else. At that point I think you either take it or leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM

224 posts, read 545,970 times
That's what my first inclination is. And then I think about the job we have where we didn't ask and got federal holidays off plus 5 flex days. That's it.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
That's what my first inclination is. And then I think about the job we have where we didn't ask and got federal holidays off plus 5 flex days. That's it.
Vacation and days off is almost certainly standard for everyone. They are not going to give someone more days than other people at the same level.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Vacation and days off is almost certainly standard for everyone. They are not going to give someone more days than other people at the same level.
I negotiated and got 1 extra week vacation above and beyond what was offerred. This was 1 week more than everyone else on my team had. I tried hard for 2 extra weeks but got 1 week and the manager's email comments to give me some free long weekends here and there if things went well. That manager left the company within a few months so that was out the window, but the extra 1 week vacation was included in my benefit package and was calculated like that each year.

FYI...I took training on negotiating and career placement and all things related. They said when you are negotiating, put all your cards on the table from the start. Don't ask for extra vacation in the 2nd round if you didn't ask for it from the start. They said this is game playing and companies don't like it.

However, since OP has been negotiating salary, if they come back with less than you anticpate, you can always ask for a one time signing bonus as an alternative to the salary increase( or a small bonus PLUS the smaller increase if they give a smaller increase than you need.). This is fair game. This way maybe you add the bonus to the small salary increase and it gets you at your magic number for year #1. However, in future years you will be lower than your magic number.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
I assumed it was : negotiate salary first, then finnagle on the smaller things. Good to know.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I negotiated and got 1 extra week vacation above and beyond what was offerred. This was 1 week more than everyone else on my team had. I tried hard for 2 extra weeks but got 1 week and the manager's email comments to give me some free long weekends here and there if things went well. That manager left the company within a few months so that was out the window, but the extra 1 week vacation was included in my benefit package and was calculated like that each year.

FYI...I took training on negotiating and career placement and all things related. They said when you are negotiating, put all your cards on the table from the start. Don't ask for extra vacation in the 2nd round if you didn't ask for it from the start. They said this is game playing and companies don't like it.

However, since OP has been negotiating salary, if they come back with less than you anticpate, you can always ask for a one time signing bonus as an alternative to the salary increase( or a small bonus PLUS the smaller increase if they give a smaller increase than you need.). This is fair game. This way maybe you add the bonus to the small salary increase and it gets you at your magic number for year #1. However, in future years you will be lower than your magic number.
This actually happened to me...got a one time bonus to "subsidize" the drop in pay going from a contractor to a full time employee. Still didn't cover the gaping hole, but it helped at least in the beginning until we can adjust our spending patterns.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
Also, all my family is in Texas, and we have no help here when we need it. I did chemo for 11 months and never once had anyone with me. No one could come up, and by the time I got to a diagnosis and treatment my husband had used up all his off time taking care of me. It was brutal and lonely. My mother will be 6 hours away, but if I have an emergency, she can come help, or come and watch the kids while we take a weekend away once and a while.
If I were in your situation, this would be a huge consideration for me.

It seems worth the pay cut to be closer to family if your cancer returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That's not true. I always ask for more vacation . Time off is very important to me, and I won't go back to waiting a year to take one measly week. It's downright silly people think they have to put up with that. If you have years of experience, and 4 to 6 weeks vacation at your current job, you most certainly are in a position to negotiate vacation for a new job. Sadly, most people don't realize this and never ask.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Where he works, and all his previous employers, you have a number of sick/vacation/whatever days that are vested at the beginning of the year after a certain amount of employment and we are used to that. Plus he teleworked on Fridays, so that being gone will be huge.

I was hoping he could end up asking for an extra week off, but we will wait and see how the salary negotiations go. She said she would get back with us as soon as she could.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Have you considered downsizing your housing expectations? From McMansion to something reasonable?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM

The fact is most companies have a standard vacation/sick/holiday policy. Is it possible someone can negotiate more? Sure. Is it likely? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search