Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I don't have to prove anything. Anyone can google UK immigration in the 50s and 60s.

What does this line of questioning have to do with the topic?

You raised the issue, not I, and made blanket statements which are simply not true so your confusion is confusing. Best not to go off topic and challenge facts about which you know nothing unless you're prepared to provide substantiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Doesn't make you right. In reality makes you look pretty daft where the "real world" is concerned. Do some of you wear foil shields on your head to protect you from reality?
Guess I better put my tin foil hat back on. I know nothing about nothing because I suggest anyone interested in reasons for immigration to the UK in the 50s and 60s google it rather than debating it here in a thread about job seekers in the USA in 2012.

I have been insulted by one of the forum experts. Scorch!

Yeah, I will take that other poster's advice and put you and your quips on ignore. Continue to weave your magic to others. I am sure your words will help them. Have a lovely day.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I know nothing about nothing because I suggest anyone interested in reasons for immigration to the UK in the 50s and 60s google it rather than debating it here in a thread about job seekers in the USA in 2012.
There was no mention of immigration to the UK in the 50s and 60s until you brought it up out of the blue.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorocko28 View Post
Given your life experience and lack of unemployment crises in your life, I would say you are the last credible source for comment on a thread where the OP was clearly ranting (and even apologized for doing so). Apparently, your "utmost sympathy" for the unemployed is telling them that they haven't done what has to be done. How do you know how much effort someone has put into something? Clearly, you don't. Obviously, you do not understand what it is to have bad spot after bad spot after bad spot because, as you state, all your bad spots have been followed by good stints. I find it utterly amazing how some people contribute their positive results to nothing other than their hard work when, in reality, luck always plays some sort of role.
Just for the record, I did not say that I have never had "unemployment crises" in my life. What I said was (and which you chose to misinterpret) was that I've never collected unemployment benefits. I've absolutely had some "unemployment crises". Nor did I either state or imply that "luck" plays no role in positive results. Clearly you have an aptitude for putting words into others' mouths and I find that utterly amazing. My apologies overall for daring to remain optimistic under adversity, clearly something which is anathema to some and cause for ridicule.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM

52 posts, read 88,575 times
Quote:
Just for the record, I did not say that I have never had "unemployment crises" in my life. What I said was (and which you chose to misinterpret) was that I've never collected unemployment benefits. I've absolutely had some "unemployment crises". Nor did I either state or imply that "luck" plays no role in positive results. Clearly you have an aptitude for putting words into others' mouths and I find that utterly amazing. My apologies overall for daring to remain optimistic under adversity, clearly something which is anathema to some and cause for ridicule.
Awesome! Do you want another pat on the back for not relying on "government handouts" to deal with your unemployment crises? I don't have to imply anything as you said it yourself right here: "The end result is that I've never collected unemployment in 50 years of working because I've simply got out there and done what has to be done to keep the wolf from the door. The bad spots have always been followed by good stints." Clearly, you left no implication open as something that is simply achieved is just that, simple. There is no other role, rhyme or reason for something that is simply achieved and certainly something that is simply achieved does not require any luck. It is simple. Simple is as simple does. You just have to get out there and do it... what can be so difficult and why are all these lazy, unemployed people whining? Get over yourself and stop giving advice to unemployed people. Your head is in the sand.

Last edited by nikorocko28; 03-24-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorocko28 View Post
Awesome! Do you want another pat on the back for not relying on "government handouts" to deal with your unemployment crises? I don't have to imply anything as you said it yourself right here: "The end result is that I've never collected unemployment in 50 years of working because I've simply got out there and done what has to be done to keep the wolf from the door. The bad spots have always been followed by good stints." Clearly, you left no implication open as something that is simply achieved is just that, simple. There is no other role, rhyme or reason for something that is simply achieved and certainly something that is simply achieved does not require any luck. It is simple. Simple is as simple does. You just have to get out there and do it... what can be so difficult and why are all these lazy, unemployed people whining? Get over yourself and stop giving advice to unemployed people. Your head is in the sand.
Your ability to quote out of context and put words into my mouth is quite uncanny. I neither asked for nor suggested being due any pat on the back nor was it my intent to even imply such by mentioning my not having applied for unemployment benefits over the years. Nor have I ever on any thread (and not in any circle at all in my long life) suggested that unemployed people are "lazy" and "whining". Maybe your choice of such descriptions is evidence of your own belittling prejudice.

Again, my apologies for being optimistic in the face of adversity which obviously irritates you to quite an alarming degree. I'll try and keep the optimism at bay in future when responding to threads in which you have an interest.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Your ability to quote out of context and put words into my mouth is quite uncanny. I neither asked for nor suggested being due any pat on the back nor was it my intent to even imply such by mentioning my not having applied for unemployment benefits over the years. Nor have I ever on any thread (and not in any circle at all in my long life) suggested that unemployed people are "lazy" and "whining". Maybe your choice of such descriptions is evidence of your own belittling prejudice.

Again, my apologies for being optimistic in the face of adversity which obviously irritates you to quite an alarming degree. I'll try and keep the optimism at bay in future when responding to threads in which you have an interest.
Stop trying to defend the things that you wrote that need no interpretation. People are not stupid and unintelligent, though it appears you find yourself to be very wise. For some reason, you take great pleasure in attempting to insult people, while puffing yourself up. Then, you claim you have made no such insults and blame the victim of your insults for misinterpreting your positive and insightful comments. I have proven my retorts, while yours are merely unfounded opinions. You say I belittle, yet you don't do prove how. You say I quote things out of context, yet I have proven myself using your own words. You have lost, my not friend. Go try your logic on someone that actually believes your fallacies.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I'm in a position where I'm working multiple jobs in order to gain experience that will help me gain full-time in my competitive industry. I always keep in contact with other part-timers and have helped them in their job searching efforts. As a result, many have gotten hired on full-time at other locations and I still keep in contact with them. I have been told by at least one person that a full-time position is coming up and I knew prior to it being advertised. Unfortunately, this wasn't a position that I was suited for so I did not apply but I'm using this as an illustration of how networking as worked for me.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It's a bit of hard work which turns a lot of people off but the choice is yours. Making excuses has never worked in any era so get off your duff and toss of the, "poor me" routine.
That would be the lazy and whining, my not friend.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Do some of you wear foil shields on your head to protect you from reality?
I'e never seen such unbridled optimism in my life. Certainly, there is no way this can be misconstrued as an insult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search