U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
 
8 posts, read 234,614 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I am waiting to hear back from this company that I applied to, and I wonder if the fact that they checked my references mean that I will get the job?

Here is a quick timeline of what happened with them (This is a 400 employees company with offices in US, and Canada, on Forbes "Fastest growing"):
February 27th- Phone Interview
March 14th- 1st in person interview with HR person and 2 managers
March 15th- Scheduling of 2nd interview
March 21st- 2nd in person interview with HR person and VP
March 21st (1 hour after interview)- Call to request references (2), and do online PI test
March 22nd- HR person emails to let me know that she will be in touch "Early next week"
March 23rd- References called, and both of them told me it went well

During the 2nd interview, the HR person asked me for an updated resume "to calculate experience", and if i wanted to take a break/vacation before starting the new job. (i know for a fact that they are flexible and don't need someone right away, so this shouldn't be a criteria of selection). Does this mean anything?

So here we are "Early next week", and still no news...I really want the job, and I wonder if the fact that I met with important players in the company and the fact that they checked my references mean anything? (the check was done by the assistant of the HR person present in the interviews)

help!

Last edited by dolcevita007; 03-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Added details
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
 
104 posts, read 289,245 times
Reputation: 74
I'd say you are close to the money. Until you have a written offer, though, nothing is certain.
I had references checked and a phone call from the hiring manager that same day. Didn't have a written offer until I actually flew over to meet the team (both interviews were long-distance - phone and Skype).
Good luck, they will most likely call you tomorrow.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
 
8 posts, read 234,614 times
Reputation: 19
great- I'm relieved to hear that!
But why is it taking so long?

Yes, hopefully they will call..,I don't want to start chasing them, and seem desperate
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
 
104 posts, read 289,245 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita007 View Post
great- I'm relieved to hear that!
But why is it taking so long?

Yes, hopefully they will call..,I don't want to start chasing them, and seem desperate
Ha-ha, exactly my tactics - I never call the prospective employers after interviews, but always drive myself up the wall with worry. Nail-biting included.

To your question why it may be taking so long - my guess is they are trying to come up with a salary offer. A lot of times companies would have a salary range for a position, but then would base actual offer on your experience, interview feedback from interviewers, and even conversations with references. There may be other paperwork delays.
Personally, I've never heard of serious companies checking references on someone they weren't going to give the offer. After all, it takes effort to actually call these people, so since they've done it, they are very interested.
Still, be cautiously optimistic - you don't have it, until you have a written offer in your hand.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,578 posts, read 44,223,916 times
Reputation: 16243
Maybe.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,300,993 times
Reputation: 438
Good luck. All signs are positive thus far.

About the waiting, it's really hard. I know, I am in the same boat. Sometimes things happen that will delay the offer. For instance, I was told last week that the earliest I will get an offer would be this Wednesday when the CFO comes back from vacay. If it wasn't for that, I would have it already, or so they say.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,300,993 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maybe.
Maybe and then saying "good luck though", would be a nice thing to say to the OP. Some people on these boards can be rude and pessimisstic. When the roles are reversed they then expect differently.....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
 
8 posts, read 234,614 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Good luck. All signs are positive thus far.

About the waiting, it's really hard. I know, I am in the same boat. Sometimes things happen that will delay the offer. For instance, I was told last week that the earliest I will get an offer would be this Wednesday when the CFO comes back from vacay. If it wasn't for that, I would have it already, or so they say.
thanks for your answer!
Hopefully, we will both have a job on Wednesday hehe

Lol@ rude people
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
878 posts, read 1,578,521 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita007 View Post

So here we are "Early next week", and still no news...I really want the job, and I wonder if the fact that I met with important players in the company and the fact that they checked my references mean anything? (the check was done by the assistant of the HR person present in the interviews)

help!
It's good to be excited but don't get too excited.

After my first stint on unemployment from 11/09 thru 9/10 I landed a job back in Savannah, GA starting as a temp with the promise to go perm in 120 days.

I worked the 120 days with no issues, was never late, and was there every day. I filled out all the application paperwork with all my references and was very excited about getting hired. There was nothing I had done that would have kept me from getting hired. Well, I got a phone call at 9pm the following Monday telling me not to report back to work. They wouldn't give me a reason. Even worse is I went to work that day.... why couldn't they tell me then? Worried about me going postal or something?

So, I spent another 4 months on unemployment... landed a job in Washington state... moved out here and did the same 120 days as a temp. I gave them the same info, same references as I did with the previous job, but this time I didn't get shafted, I got hired.

Flip a coin? One can assume the reason I didn't get the first job is because they just wanted to higher another temp instead of bringing me on full time but to this day I was never given a reason. Although very depressing at the time, as it turns out they did me a favor... this job in WA is 10 times better anyway for more money.

Good luck... but checking of references doesn't guarantee a job offer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 234,614 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
It's good to be excited but don't get too excited.

After my first stint on unemployment from 11/09 thru 9/10 I landed a job back in Savannah, GA starting as a temp with the promise to go perm in 120 days.

I worked the 120 days with no issues, was never late, and was there every day. I filled out all the application paperwork with all my references and was very excited about getting hired. There was nothing I had done that would have kept me from getting hired. Well, I got a phone call at 9pm the following Monday telling me not to report back to work. They wouldn't give me a reason. Even worse is I went to work that day.... why couldn't they tell me then? Worried about me going postal or something?

So, I spent another 4 months on unemployment... landed a job in Washington state... moved out here and did the same 120 days as a temp. I gave them the same info, same references as I did with the previous job, but this time I didn't get shafted, I got hired.

Flip a coin? One can assume the reason I didn't get the first job is because they just wanted to higher another temp instead of bringing me on full time but to this day I was never given a reason. Although very depressing at the time, as it turns out they did me a favor... this job in WA is 10 times better anyway for more money.

Good luck... but checking of references doesn't guarantee a job offer.
i'm sorry to hear about your first experience back on the market but you are absolutely right: sometimes a refusal can have a brighter side (find better job elsewhere, more $, & happier)

Hopefully, this job will be my "brighter" side
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top