Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times

Advertisements

Seen a lot of employers ask for PDF scans, etc., as a way to see if applicants know how to do that. Lots of jobs these days require a working knowledge of Adobe software.

In general, deviate from the application instructions at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Agree with everyone else. Don't drop it off. Show that you can follow directions re: the application and delivery method. People are very busy and hiring managers won't be looking at the resumes until after the application deadline. Often you wouldn't get past the gate-keeper anyway.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I should add a bit to what I said about sending in the pdf (as being best)...

If you know how to do this, but don't have that equipment/software at home and don't have access to this anywhere else, mail it in, but at the top first thing in larger letters in your cover letter, say you know how to do this, but don't have that equipment at home, and thus are mailing your application.

Or if you don't know how to do that, but know some things, say what you know how to do first thing in your cover letter.

It is possible they might not get any applications sent in via pdf, then they would look at the mailed in applications and see who has the most experience at that type of thing.

And they might prefer not to train someone to scan/stick things in pdf's. But if none of the applicants knows how to do that, then they would train and would want to find someone who looks the most promising.

Anyway put your best foot forward and do what you can do.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It says "no phone calls" so I definitely wouldn't call and ask to drop it off. I don't see a huge problem dropping it off with the receptionist if you are in the area, but I'd only do that if the deadline was near, or it was for some reason more convenient than mailing it. I wouldn't drop it off in hopes of meeting the hiring manager.
It takes longer to drop it off than to pay attention to the instructions and create a PDF files and click send on the email.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I should add a bit to what I said about sending in the pdf (as being best)...

If you know how to do this, but don't have that equipment/software at home and don't have access to this anywhere else, mail it in, but at the top first thing in larger letters in your cover letter, say you know how to do this, but don't have that equipment at home, and thus are mailing your application.

Or if you don't know how to do that, but know some things, say what you know how to do first thing in your cover letter.

It is possible they might not get any applications sent in via pdf, then they would look at the mailed in applications and see who has the most experience at that type of thing.

And they might prefer not to train someone to scan/stick things in pdf's. But if none of the applicants knows how to do that, then they would train and would want to find someone who looks the most promising.

Anyway put your best foot forward and do what you can do.
Or use an ounce of common sense and ask a friend with the software on their computer to do it for you. Or take it to Kinko's and spend the 45 seconds of computer time to do it yourself.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It takes longer to drop it off than to pay attention to the instructions and create a PDF files and click send on the email.
What if you don't have the program to do that at home? Not everyone does.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What if you don't have the program to do that at home? Not everyone does.
See the post right above yours.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,839 times
Yes! Well, I emailed the manager this morning asking if FAX is an option. He said yes and provided me with the fax number.

HOWEVER, I was just able to download free software that merged all of my pdf files (required to be sent) into one file. I did that and emailed my application packet immediately.

Hopefully, I did everything alright. I know for sure that there will be 50+ applicant for this position (well, maybe less this time because they started doing this PDF thing; it used to be "email resume only") Do you really think this is additional way to decrease that application pile? Did I improve my chances my doing a single PDF thing?

Thank!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
Yes! Well, I emailed the manager this morning asking if FAX is an option. He said yes and provided me with the fax number.

HOWEVER, I was just able to download free software that merged all of my pdf files (required to be sent) into one file. I did that and emailed my application packet immediately.

Hopefully, I did everything alright. I know for sure that there will be 50+ applicant for this position (well, maybe less this time because they started doing this PDF thing; it used to be "email resume only") Do you really think this is additional way to decrease that application pile? Did I improve my chances my doing a single PDF thing?

Thank!
Maybe if you hadn't called and asked to fax it first. How is it any harder to mail it than to fax it?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,839 times
ok, so, I guess I blew it once again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search