Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,075 times

Advertisements

I'm an independent contractor, and I've finally decided that I need to get back into the traditional workplace — mainly for tax reasons. I'm getting hammered by self-employment tax and having to pay for my own health insurance.

I haven't interviewed in a while (five years on my own), and I must say ... I've run across some of the most rude, inconsiderate and sometimes downright juvenile prospective employers.

One phoned me up wanting to know if I could come in for an interview "immediately." As in RIGHT NOW WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR. Seriously — ? I was working on a project out of town and therefore couldn't do the "right now" thing. Employer said he would call back the next morning to schedule a time to meet — and never did.

Another sent me an email asking me what specific day I could come in, giving me a rough calendar of his availability. I responded with the day and asked for a specific time to come in. Employer did not respond. I send a second email, just in case my first one didn't get read. Again, no response.

A third employer interviewed me via phone, and let me know that I made the first cut. Indicated that I would receive a follow-up phone call to schedule an in-person interview the following week. Ended on a great note. But employer never contacted me again.

The fourth obviously couldn't figure out how email attachments worked. Asked me to send my resume in .doc format — well, I already had, but ... To humor the person, I sent the same resume again (in .doc format, as requested). Employer again emailed me, asking me to send my resume; they couldn't see the attachment. I. Give. Up.

The fifth was the worst. I get the impression that this person was rather young and didn't know a lot about the hiring process. Sent me an absurd questionnaire with extremely personal questions on it. I did not fill it out.

I realize that times are tough, and employers still can pick and choose. Don't get me wrong — I've had some great in-person interviews in the past couple of weeks, so I'm not saying that this type of unprofessional behavior is across the board or even par for the course. However, it floors me that people would actually do this, especially in my profession (law). Fortunately, I am in a position to be selective. Otherwise, I'd be weeping and beating my head against my desk.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Fortunately, I am in a position to be selective.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

Yes it's just you, i'm not in this position.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM

107 posts, read 363,964 times
I don't think it's completely rude employer's, though. People are just extremely busy these days and as sad as it sounds, if you're not what they want they don't have time for civilities.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM

155 posts, read 244,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindAlleyKat View Post
I don't think it's completely rude employer's, though. People are just extremely busy these days
Busy with what? People are busy with pointless "busy work" and family drama and that's about it.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

107 posts, read 363,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
Busy with what? People are busy with pointless "busy work" and family drama and that's about it.
Well, I haven't met that group yet. The people I work with are extremely busy, myself included. I have no family drama, busy work, etc. I do not reply to emails that are not directly related to attaining my goals for the day because I simply do not have time for it. Many people do not reply to me. It's just the way it is. I don't take offense to it because I know they are not being rude; they are just really busy.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindAlleyKat View Post
I don't think it's completely rude employer's, though. People are just extremely busy these days and as sad as it sounds, if you're not what they want they don't have time for civilities.
I humbly disagree.

I've no problem with a "no response." But if someone indicates to me that they wish to interview me, I either expect the interview or a brief phone call or email indicating that the interview is cancelled.

I have been on the H.R. side before, and never has this behavior been considered remotely acceptable.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
I used to tell my retired husband "you wouldn't be able to hack it in a (pt, Home Depot type) job today". This generation is the technology generation, the "me" generation, the gamer generation. Even I have experienced that (almost) nobody does anything over and above what they HAVE to do. They are slower than dog s#&* when it is busy and lined up. They don't take the initiative to learn how their job "flows" with others, or know how to even transfer phone calls. My last job was great, but very busy, and I had to "lower my standards" to get everything required of me done daily. But I made it a point to see how what I did affected others jobs, and how theirs affected mine. I am hoping not to have to go back to work when I move back to my home state. I don't have the patience for incompetence or rudeness.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I used to tell my retired husband "you wouldn't be able to hack it in a (pt, Home Depot type) job today". This generation is the technology generation, the "me" generation, the gamer generation. Even I have experienced that (almost) nobody does anything over and above what they HAVE to do. They are slower than dog s#&* when it is busy and lined up. They don't take the initiative to learn how their job "flows" with others, or know how to even transfer phone calls. My last job was great, but very busy, and I had to "lower my standards" to get everything required of me done daily. But I made it a point to see how what I did affected others jobs, and how theirs affected mine. I am hoping not to have to go back to work when I move back to my home state. I don't have the patience for incompetence or rudeness.
FYI, it's mostly the Baby Boomers who are still running things in your average business, not the "me" generation (then again, I guess they technically are the original "me" generation).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
I'm not talking about the "suits", I'm talking about the "grunt workers". And the Boomer "me" generation is MUCH different that the current "me" generation. Let's not get into a pis*ing match, OK?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm not talking about the "suits", I'm talking about the "grunt workers".
Sincee you want to go there, if have any idea as to how a business operates, the quality of service and production of thde grunt workers only reflects the decisions of the suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search