Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I used to tell my retired husband "you wouldn't be able to hack it in a (pt, Home Depot type) job today". This generation is the technology generation, the "me" generation, the gamer generation. Even I have experienced that (almost) nobody does anything over and above what they HAVE to do. They are slower than dog s#&* when it is busy and lined up. They don't take the initiative to learn how their job "flows" with others, or know how to even transfer phone calls. My last job was great, but very busy, and I had to "lower my standards" to get everything required of me done daily. But I made it a point to see how what I did affected others jobs, and how theirs affected mine. I am hoping not to have to go back to work when I move back to my home state. I don't have the patience for incompetence or rudeness.
And why would people go above and beyond when they don't have to? Why have initiative when you know there's only a VERY slim chance that it will actually pay off in the future? I've watched people pour their heart and soul into their jobs only to be laid off, replaced by someone making less money or have a promotion go to the boss' daughter or CFO's girlfriend/wife. I've gotten to the point where I don't necessarily even want to go above and beyond because it means more stress without ever actually getting promoted or given a raise.

A sense of accomplishment and job well done doesn't pay the bills. At my last job our boss would push and push and push, and all of us employees worked HOURS off the clock, on the weekend and after hours to get jobs done because my boss had promised customers it could be done when in reality, it couldn't. You know what we got for all those extra hours and effort? More work. Two of us got laid off, one of us got replaced by the COO's girlfriend who had zero experience. Nobody got raises, and in fact, our health benefits got cut and the new plans had us paying 3x what we had the year before.

I think if employers treated their employees a little bit better, more would be apt to go above and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
I know that times have changed dramatically from "back in my day". I just know how I and my husband worked and took pride in our duties and job requirements, and I don't always have the patience for slowness, or for bad moods, or for rudeness, or for that damn automated system when calling for information. I only worked 2 long-term jobs in "my day", and gave them my all. Today, especially after having to lower my standards at my last job, I really don't care about "your bottom line" (the company's), I care about my bottom line, and I don't like how that makes me feel.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
Busy with what? People are busy with pointless "busy work" and family drama and that's about it.
Busy picking their nose ...

Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?
No, it's not just you. Nonsense like what you've described is why I'd rather take the hits as a freelancer than work for someone else. Imagine how people like that would be as bosses.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
the trend now is if rejected from the job, the employer won't bother to contact you. Whether by email, phone, automated rejection email- you will just hear nothing back.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
FYI, it's mostly the Baby Boomers who are still running things in your average business, not the "me" generation (then again, I guess they technically are the original "me" generation).
Most of the initial and final hiring steps are handled by HR "people." They are typically 20 something bimbos with inflated egos and low competence. People who can't really contribute to a company typically work in HR.

My experience dealing with them is that they completely lack manners or morals, have very little intelligence, embrace psychobabble and corporate BS to an absurd level, and have turned hiring in a a high school popularity contest meshed with a psych exam with no relation to qualifications need for the job.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most of the initial and final hiring steps are handled by HR "people." They are typically 20 something bimbos with inflated egos and low competence. People who can't really contribute to a company typically work in HR.

My experience dealing with them is that they completely lack manners or morals, have very little intelligence, embrace psychobabble and corporate BS to an absurd level, and have turned hiring in a a high school popularity contest meshed with a psych exam with no relation to qualifications need for the job.
They may "handle" the steps (like expendable puppets) such as posting the ad, collecting the resume, scheduling the interviews, etc., but it's ultimately the baby boomers (or as Michigan Transplant calls them, "the suits") who manage them that lay out the rules and select the candidates.

That's just the way it is.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
No, it's not just you. Nonsense like what you've described is why I'd rather take the hits as a freelancer than work for someone else. Imagine how people like that would be as bosses.
Yup. Just like there are bum clients, there are bum bosses. At least I can cut bait whenever a client gives me too much irrational guff, which gives me that nice, fuzzy "master of her own destiny" feeling. If only this career path were more financially rewarding — and I didn't have to pay self-employment taxes — it might be worth it.

So I have a choice of stressing over the fact that I might end up working for some a**hole or stressing over money. (!)

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If a company comes across as too "immature" in its initial ad — I'm assuming that the people in H.R. draft these for the most part — I don't bother responding. There are slews of these on private boards created specifically for people who do what I do. Some of these ads are simply amazing, and they even dastardly employ "hipster" lingo that makes me cringe whenever I read it. Do they want me to think they're really cool, or do they want a good contractor?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Yep when I interview for a job an either spend too much time with HR people or have managers that ask too many stupid HR type questions and no technical questions I know I don't want to work for that company as they do not focus on hiring the best qualified technical staff. Sadly a large number of companies are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search