Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,667,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
None of them are going to call you back for interviews. Watch and see.
Wow, well aren't you just a ray of sunshine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 AM

231 posts, read 811,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I tried that! I litteraly packed up everything I own into my car and moved to Dallas to find work because I read that Dallas has a good economy. I found a month to month lease and just moved out there. Well **** happened and I had to move back to Tampa to have a very unexpected surgery. The surgery drained me of all my money and if it wasnt for my ex letting me move back in I would be living on the street. On every app I fill out I mention I am willing to travel or relocate if necessary.
i would move to where you want to work, local candidates have a much more success over candidates out of state, if you are going to work at a Panera Bread in the meantime, why not just work at a Panera Bread in the city you are trying to relocate to

Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the points.

Points 1, 2 and 3 I have already completed. One of the phone screenings I felt quite comfortable about was through a staffing agency. I just followed up with them for a second time today and I did not get the position but they will keep my application and encouraged me to call back once a month to hear about possible openings.

4 I definitely need to work on. Since the depression has taken hold I have hardly even left the house except to go on interviews.
some advice: exercise daily even if its just a short walk around your neighborhood, this will do wonders for your mental health during tough times

Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
dont be a negative c***

Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,305,070 times
Quote:
I just don't even know how to respond to this.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
i would move to where you want to work, local candidates have a much more success over candidates out of state, if you are going to work at a Panera Bread in the meantime, why not just work at a Panera Bread in the city you are trying to relocate to
I actually really liked Dallas. I am definitely ready to move out of Tampa. Unfortunately to move again I would need some money. It is best to move with at least three months of rent saved up. I had that, but the surgery drained me of most of it.

If I had two grand handy then I would be following your advise for sure.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
some advice: exercise daily even if its just a short walk around your neighborhood, this will do wonders for your mental health during tough times
That is a good call. You are right and today I will definitely do that.

I just got back from a job interview. Total scam job. "Fast growing company with renowned management training program" turns out to be 100% outside sales! lol. I need to let off some stress.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
That is a good call. You are right and today I will definitely do that.

I just got back from a job interview. Total scam job. "Fast growing company with renowned management training program" turns out to be 100% outside sales! lol. I need to let off some stress.
more advice:

get a routine going where you workout everyday at a specific time, set goals for yourself doesn't have to be weight loss, maybe just trying to complete a certain amount of pushups etc. you dont need a gym. youtube/google videos of body weight exercises

try to read a little bit every day, preferably non fiction you need to keep learning everyday to keep your mind sharp, go to the library for free books!!!

eat healthy, dont sit around eating cheetos all day,

A healthy diet + exercise + continuous learning is what helped me endure unemployment.

I wish you the best of luck, I really do. I have been in your shoes and it is not fun but you will come out stronger from this experience, I know because I have.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:16 PM

62 posts, read 75,198 times
I would not put your education on your job app especially for a place like Wal-Mart. I applied there once when I was looking to change jobs and I couldn't even get an interview. Before anyone says anything nasty, I have completed four years of college and have lots of job experience and job skill so not your typical Wal-Mart employee type but I thought it might be a well needed change from what I was doing. Which incidentaly, I was washing dishes at a busy restaurant for 7.5 years and loved the job but it started to wear on my body. It was one of the better paying jobs that I ever had though not as much as what the servers made. Dishwashing can be better paying than your average minimum wage job and most places have trouble finding people who will do. It's also not mind numbing, at least from my experience and it has perks like food. The upside is that it's very physical so you are getting lots of exercise and servers are generally great co-workers. The chefs are another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search