Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenWillTheRecessionEnd? View Post
i agree with the OP of this thread
Of course you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 AM

76 posts, read 91,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
you're not fooling anyone.
wasn't trying to hide anymore, i'm already admitting that my other accounts got deleted, i still stand by my argument

Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by despiseloatheinitiating View Post
some people even have school or volunteer work, but they still do not get hired, the reason why a person should get hired is because thats the only way they will get experience, it should not be late for something in life like employment, people can change you know
No, the reason why a person should get hired is because I have a particular job spot I want to fill and I need to hire someone capable of doing the work. I was running a business, not a vocational training center.

On the other hand, I hired quite a few minimally skilled people for lower level clerical jobs, and a good number of them developed into employees worthy of higher level positions, and they were promoted, or got better jobs elsewhere

Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM

142 posts, read 317,199 times
It's because employers assume that if you were laid off, you were probably "dead wood" at your old job; if you were that great of an employee, your old employer would have found some way to keep you.
I'm not saying I agree, I'm just telling you that's how they see it. If you were laid off because your old employer went out of business altogether, I would definitely point that out though it may not help.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its becvause once employed the employee makes for possible liabilty even when firing if the perosn does not worth out.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM

76 posts, read 91,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
No, the reason why a person should get hired is because I have a particular job spot I want to fill and I need to hire someone capable of doing the work. I was running a business, not a vocational training center.

On the other hand, I hired quite a few minimally skilled people for lower level clerical jobs, and a good number of them developed into employees worthy of higher level positions, and they were promoted, or got better jobs elsewhere
Well nobody is born with experience, literally nobody is, it's like we live in a life, society, where you are expected to be born with experience, and it's hypocritical, stupid, people have to move on from the past, but employers will not

Last edited by WhenWillTheRecessionEnd?; 06-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: added another word

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,124 times
Well, I didn't read 9 pages of posts but I will say this: Of course it matters what you did in the past. It helps predict what kind of employee you'll be in the future. Did you change jobs every year or less just because? Why would I think that you'll change that pattern just because I hire you?

Are there gaps in your job history. Fine, just tell me why. Were there layoffs? Did you move (although I can usually figure that out)? Did you have personal issues? Were you in prison? Just tell me...don't make me guess. Because I can't afford to hire a flaky person.

The goal is to hire the best person for the job in terms of having good experience for the level of that position and demonstrated professionalism and dependability. The goal is to hire someone that my staff wants to spend most of their waking hours with.

I see resumes every day that are just horrible. Do the little things matter? Yes, they do. Why? Because your competition gets it and you, with your resume in all caps and with no dates, for example, clearly don't.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."

Luke 16:10

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM

212 posts, read 689,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Well, I didn't read 9 pages of posts but I will say this: Of course it matters what you did in the past. It helps predict what kind of employee you'll be in the future. Did you change jobs every year or less just because? Why would I think that you'll change that pattern just because I hire you?

Are there gaps in your job history. Fine, just tell me why. Were there layoffs? Did you move (although I can usually figure that out)? Did you have personal issues? Were you in prison? Just tell me...don't make me guess. Because I can't afford to hire a flaky person.

The goal is to hire the best person for the job in terms of having good experience for the level of that position and demonstrated professionalism and dependability. The goal is to hire someone that my staff wants to spend most of their waking hours with.

I see resumes every day that are just horrible. Do the little things matter? Yes, they do. Why? Because your competition gets it and you, with your resume in all caps and with no dates, for example, clearly don't.
Truth.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't agree with you. The past is usually a really good predictor of the future. Sometimes people change and that's great, but it's all about personal accountability. If you were a bum in the past, then you just need to suck it up and accept that it's going to take time and hard work to prove yourself in the present and future. Most employers want someone with a proven work ethic and experience and who could blame them? Start at the bottom and work your way up. You cannot undo the past. It will always matter, but if you really want to change the future you can. Just have to have the patience to prove yourself over the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search