U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,259,441 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading this forum for awhile about the job interview process that many people went thru. I'm shocked to say that most people are right. The interview process is terrible.

Ive been at my job for over 7 yrs and i recently applied for a tech support position (internal position only). I had an interview and none of the questions were about the position itself. They were questions like " Tell us about a time when you helped another person" etc. I was shocked to learn that they didnt ask about any degrees, certifications, skills etc or that i wasnt asked to take a test to see if i knew how to use computers.

I feel for people going to job interviews now because its not about what you really know anymore. its about how you much BS you can think up on the fly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM

398 posts, read 663,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Ive been reading this forum for awhile about the job interview process that many people went thru. I'm shocked to say that most people are right. The interview process is terrible.

Ive been at my job for over 7 yrs and i recently applied for a tech support position (internal position only). I had an interview and none of the questions were about the position itself. They were questions like " Tell us about a time when you helped another person" etc. I was shocked to learn that they didnt ask about any degrees, certifications, skills etc or that i wasnt asked to take a test to see if i knew how to use computers.

I feel for people going to job interviews now because its not about what you really know anymore. its about how you much BS you can think up on the fly.
Pretty much, yep. I have become a master of BS and despite having virtually no real skills, I am employed and never go very long without work. Unless folks start counting the BS as an actual job skill and I think it has about reached that point.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

841 posts, read 1,851,905 times
I know someone who has been on 2 recent interviews and the person who interviewed them each time did not ask these asinine questions like what color is your favorite and if you had to describe yourself in terms of an animal which animal would you be...??

He did not get either job but the last person who interviewed him was a gentleman and called him up and said I am sorry you did not get the job but I wanted to let you know this in person.

So yeah, there are some decent folks who interview out there. I guess job seekers forget that interviewers are also human with limits on what they can offer and it's stressful for them to turn away good people.

Neither my husband or myself BS so I guess that is why we can't get on in our careers. However, I can spot a BSer a mile away!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,145,397 times
On the last episode of "The Good Wife" a partner, who was not qualified, asked three people who were interviewing for an Associate's position who they would want to be on a deserted island with. It goes to show where the interview process has gone.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,326,481 times
It is the most retarded thing I have ever seen. I have no sympathy at all anymore for employers who complain about inept employees when this is how they select for "best candidate" even in technical positions. I honestly do not know how every company is not on the verge of bankruptcy when they operate in such an obviously stupid and illogical fashion.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM

@chef.sunny 22 Its crazy, that the type of questions they ask etc..

@MSchemist80 I thought they would least ask about what certifications, or website experience that i had, but they didnt ask any techinical questions at all.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Well i didnt get the position. They were only hiring for 4 positions and they hired the people with the highest scores. How can they grade answers to those type of questions? I wish i knew. oh well

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,924,485 times
Quote:
Well i didnt get the position. They were only hiring for 4 positions and they hired the people with the highest scores. How can they grade answers to those type of questions? I wish i knew. oh well
This is an interviewer who read some book, watched some video, or attended a seminar but never on their own thought of the interview as a tool to hire the best person for the job. To them the inteview is to know the person. Unfortunetely, many people can interveiw well but can;t do the job. So they hire the wrong person, they fail and guess what? Instead of getting back to the basics of education, experience, performance, proficency, and the candidates overal personality, they go even more towrds the abstract and one day you go for a position as a chief science officer handling delicate unstable biological weapons, and they want to know if you like daisy more than roses.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM

10,339 posts, read 16,326,481 times
Part of the problem is HR professionals have injected themselves and their methodologies more and more into the hiring process. Companies are paranoid about making a bad hire and cannot accept the fact that there really is no way to tell in a few hours what candidates are desirable and which are psychopaths/sociopaths on their best behavior.

In their paranoia they turn to any snake oil salesman who claim they can reduce their risk. As a result, there is a huge market for HR gimics and psychometric testing that is laughable and embarrassing. I like what the companies marketing this crap claim when candidates push back is "well if they refuse to take the test or decline to participate they would have been a terrible insubordinate employee anyways". That kind of logic just gives me a headache.

This ia the same thing you see with patients with chronic conditions they are so desperate they will try any sort of quackery. Heck a few years back there was a clique of people drinking their own urine because they were convinced it would slow the aging process.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM

881 posts, read 1,740,654 times
Quote:
Asking how you helped another person is NOT an irrelevant question when for a tech support role. It's easier to teach someone the technical skills, then to teach some one patience and people skills.

I work with the support teams often. It always amaze me how diplomatic and nice they are, even in the face of the craziest illogical questions and problems from very demanding customers/clients. Not every person with the technical skills can do support. And I have done technical support when I first started out, and the stuff that I heard/seen !

Hell, at my old company, if they needed an engineer onsite at a customer, they would never send the development engineer alone, a support engineer always accompanied them. And that is after the development engineer had gone through the training on how to behave in front of customers. There are some dev that we never EVER send to the customer site because of their serious lack of people skills, despite the fact they are the expert in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search