Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I know some people who received a job offer after one phone interview, some of which were for large F500s. It is pretty rare though and more often than not mostly applicable to entry level jobs rather than mid level or upper level jobs.
Mine was.

The job started with Aerotek as a temp at the F500 company which hired me perm 5 months later. Amazingly, I never left the living room for the entire hiring process until I had to go take my pre-offer drug screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
I was told I could go to Iowa and work on swiss lathes for $18/hr. The guy said if I didn't know what I was doing he would get rid of me at the end of the week. Actually, three potential employers in three different states said the same thing. Never ended up taking them up on their offers though, wasn't bored enough with my then current job at the time.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,914 times
Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM

137 posts, read 266,885 times
I know a few executives personally who weren't even interviewed - They were let go and word got around, they had an offer from the company. Only one person I know ever took that without going in anyway though, incidentally he was my former CIO and the best boss I ever had.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Mine was.

The job started with Aerotek as a temp at the F500 company which hired me perm 5 months later. Amazingly, I never left the living room for the entire hiring process until I had to go take my pre-offer drug screen.
That is pretty rare. Most of the large corporations hire temps and never make them perm they treat them as a second class work force. I have worked for a well known food conglomerate now for 2.5 years and hate them with a passion. I've banned their products from my house.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM

867 posts, read 1,587,472 times
I know of one person who got a job offer while on a phone interview. Afterwards, he quickly searched the internet for news of the company on the web. He was lucky and it turned out to be legit however I think it's still pretty risky.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM

130 posts, read 253,331 times
Yes, however it was for a local city government with a population about 1.3 million. I was able to secure the position, right over the phone.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is pretty rare. Most of the large corporations hire temps and never make them perm they treat them as a second class work force. I have worked for a well known food conglomerate now for 2.5 years and hate them with a passion. I've banned their products from my house.
Yeah I've heard it was rare... I've also heard so many bad things about Aerotek that I am surprised that my experience with that temp company worked out as well as it did.

My employer is one of the top 3 Boeing suppliers and I really don't have anything bad to say about the company. Everyone starts as a temp and they are pretty good about hiring perm in a 3-6 month period.

I make aluminum and titanium parts for all the commercial jets currently in production.. the 737, 747, 767, 777 and new 787. Every time I fly I try to fly Boeing, but occasional the airline sticks me on an Airbus. Boooooo!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times
Not in any geographic area outside of my current one (still havent had any luck getting a call back out of any other markets I submitted my resume to).

I was practically pegged for this "job" I have now before I even talked to anyone. I was about 150% overqualified, and was the only one they wanted to talk to out of all of the applicants the agency sent over.

I had to go through an "interview" process, but I was pretty much going to be offered the job before I even started. I was the only one with remotely my background willing to work for peanuts and no benefits.

People with my skills and history rarely ever end up working "temp jobs", and I imagine I was competing against recent college grads and non-college grads.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM

415 posts, read 615,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I know of one person who got a job offer while on a phone interview. Afterwards, he quickly searched the internet for news of the company on the web. He was lucky and it turned out to be legit however I think it's still pretty risky.
With both of mine, the one in California and the one in Nevada, they actually told me to go online DURING the interview and look up their websites. Both were healthcare jobs, and they encouraged me to research their companies. Neither had anything to hide. I got a spiel about "awesome beautiful Southern California" and about the "charms of Las Vegas" with the latter I just laughed and told the woman that I was from there, no need to convince me one way or the other about Vegas! In fact I'd say only the first part of the interview in each case was like a regular interview: the rest was them telling me, since I wasn't there to see in person, what working for them was like. The hospital in Pomona told me all about Pomona, about the beach, OC, demographics, LA county, the types of patients they have, the structure of the building, the building age, the crime rate, etc. The Vegas company was a hospice and they told me all about what my route would be like, what Metro said about the crime there, how bad the traffic would be, the types of patients they took care of, what I would be expected to do, what the nurses do, etc. Of course, by the time both were explaining to me about what working for them would be like, both had already made up their minds and wanted to hire me. The next day with both companies, I was contacted by HR and sent forms via email.

If neither employer had been willing to talk to me about their companies and about the area, to me that would have been a red flag. If they were scammers (and I know the one in California was not; I worked for that company) they were pretty good scammers who'd managed to infiltrate nursing and MD boards, yelp, glassdoor, and many other places on the internet, not to mention that they each had a website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search