U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM

841 posts, read 1,763,532 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually been hired for a full time job in another city or state by just having a job interview?

If so, please discuss. Would you hire someone with just a phone interview?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,516,126 times
I had a phone interview for my current job. Two hours later HR was calling me asking if I could come to town for a second "interview." This was not an interview, more like here meet everyone and I will show you around town and some of us will take you out for lunch 6 hour thing. That was on a Friday. I believe it was the next Monday or Tuesday they called with an offer.

I think it depends on the situation, really.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,080 posts, read 61,975,311 times
I have done phone interviews but all else being equal the person there in person has the advantage. We know that for the phone interviewee there is less stress, they can refer to notes and/or the internet to help them answer questions, so we don't get the same level of evaluation.

Then there's a fair chance they won't accept the offer due to the moving cost. If a person was a lot better than t5hose there in person I might offer them a second, in person interview but we don't pay for travel costs except for top management.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM

878 posts, read 1,492,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Has anyone actually been hired for a full time job in another city or state by just having a job interview?

If so, please discuss. Would you hire someone with just a phone interview?

Thanks.
Here's my story.... I was laid off from a mom and pop machine shop manufacturing position in Savannah, GA in Nov. '09. I got a job in September 2010 at the new Mitsubishi Power Systems plant in Savannah. I was so excited!

They wanted me to run a Flow Waterjet so Mitsubishi sent me from Savannah to Seattle, WA for a week of tech training with Flow who is based nearby. I spent the week there, learned the ins and outs of the machine operation and programming... came back to Savannah and worked into January 2011. Around Jan 20th was my 120 days as a "temp" and I was offered a full time position. I filled out all the paperwork expecting to get hired on without issue. I had been to work every day, never been late, never had any issues at all.

Well, the night of 1/24 I got a phone call at 8pm... do not report back for work, please mail your ID badge to us. I asked why and I was told they couldn't tell me why... Talk about depressing. After 10 months on unemployment previously I was like "oh no, not again." I never got any answer at all as to why I was let go, I just got a "laid off due to lack of work" letter in the mail. Did they just hire me to set up their new waterjet machines and then let me go to hire another temp? Maybe... either way, I was out of a job... again.

I spent the next 3+ months on unemployment, reverting back to my original claim from 2009 because I hadn't worked long enough on this new job to qualify. I was a couple weeks into Tier 2 when I started back on unemployment. On May 1st I did a nationwide job search and found a waterjet position outside of Seattle... ironically it's right down the road from where I had went in Oct. 2010 for the training. I emailed my resume, got a call back in 20 MINUTES, started the process of jumping through hoops and stuff... did a phone interview and was hired on May 11th. I left May 17th, arrived May 22nd in WA, and started work on the 27th. It was a temp to hire position that did not pay for relocation. I rolled the dice, but I had to.. unemployment was running out. I borrowed the money from family to finance the cross country trip.

After 5 months as a temp I filled out the paperwork to get hired on, and this time it was a success. I got the full medical, dental, 401k, vacation, bonuses, etc... 2012 rolled around to the tune of 3 weeks vacation, 1 week sick time... monthly bonuses too. I'm working in aerospace for a Boeing supplier. Next month is a year on the job and things are going great! All I can say is everything happens for a reason... I was very depressed with my Jan 2011 layoff... but in the end Mitsubishi did me a favor. Ironically I got a job in beautiful Washington state where they had sent me with the job training that they had paid for. This job is much better in a better location and I couldn't be happier.

For fun and to see if the tactic is still viable... I just repeated the process and this turned up.

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksour...der=Employment

This is the exact job listing I originally responded to on May 1st, 2011. I worked 5 months as a temp for Aerotek before going permanent with the client in October.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,521,650 times
My first interview for my current job was by way of telephone, the job was mine if I wanted it after coming in to see the details.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,251,060 times
I did for my internship because I was living far away from the city it was in, but usually for jobs phone interviews are the first step if an applicant is living out of town and if you pass the first round, they'll make you come to an in-person interview. But like someone else said, it depends on the company.

Personally I would never hire someone based solely on a phone interview. I would definitely want to meet them in person.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM

415 posts, read 550,788 times
Yes. I started looking for work in Utah while trying to move to Nevada or California. I was interviewed for a CNA job over the phone - the company was located in Las Vegas. I was also phone interviewed for a job in Pomona, California for a hospital. I was hired on the spot for the latter position. About 3 months later the company in Las Vegas asked me if I wanted another phone interview - they were interested in hiring me - and I said no. So at least in healthcare, companies are willing.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM

878 posts, read 1,492,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
But like someone else said, it depends on the company.

Personally I would never hire someone based solely on a phone interview. I would definitely want to meet them in person.
I'd have to agree. I really didn't think I had a prayer of landing my job from 3000 miles away, but when he started the phone interview with "We've been looking for someone for months!" I figured I had a chance...

Desperation maybe? Whatever it was, I got hired, moved across the country and got off unemployment. In a better economy I'd have probably found something closer but it's been nearly a year now and I couldn't be happier with how things panned out.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM

9,899 posts, read 14,860,744 times
The federal govt does this routinely. They tend to hire the best qualified person and place less emphasis on interview nonsense and psychobabble.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,930,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The federal govt does this routinely. They tend to hire the best qualified person and place less emphasis on interview nonsense and psychobabble.
This is pretty true from my experience. Of course the key word is FEDERAL government NOT local government or state government. Federal government jobs like US Foreign Service, DOJ Honors Program, and Supreme Court law clerkship are all known for just hiring the best of the best. Local governments on the other hand are littered with nepotism and ethnic based hiring. You will often encounter departments in local governments that are all Black or all Filipino (the Bay Area) or all White.

In regards to the topic on hand, I know some people who received a job offer after one phone interview, some of which were for large F500s. It is pretty rare though and more often than not mostly applicable to entry level jobs rather than mid level or upper level jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search