Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

A job I'm looking at is asking for an application, consent for a background check, and driving record to be submitted all together. The consent for a background check asks for a social security number. I don't like the idea of giving that out at this early stage. What do you think? Should I submit the form without the SSN filled out? Is it unusual to ask for a driving record at this stage? Would they likely check these 2 things before making an offer, or even before conducting an interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
A job I'm looking at is asking for an application, consent for a background check, and driving record to be submitted all together. The consent for a background check asks for a social security number. I don't like the idea of giving that out at this early stage. What do you think? Should I submit the form without the SSN filled out? Is it unusual to ask for a driving record at this stage? Would they likely check these 2 things before making an offer, or even before conducting an interview?
If you get the job they're going to need it so what difference does it make if you give it to them now?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I think if you don't give it your file is going in the trash.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you get the job they're going to need it so what difference does it make if you give it to them now?
If I get the job at least it is worth the risk of handing it over. They do an old fashioned paper application. I don't like the idea of having it written down on paper sitting on the receptionist's desk for him/her or anyone else to help themselves to.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Might some employers think that someone who does not trust others might not be trustworthy?

A story... Once upon a time there was a kid who went into restaurants with his buddies and unscrewed the salt shaker lids. Then when someone shook some salt on their food, they got the whole shaker full. That kid grew up and lived to be an old age. All his life, every time he would go to a restaurant, he would check the salt shaker lids to be sure they were screwed on tight!

Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If I get the job at least it is worth the risk of handing it over. They do an old fashioned paper application. I don't like the idea of having it written down on paper sitting on the receptionist's desk for him/her or anyone else to help themselves to.
Since it is a paper application and not being read by a computer I would put "N/A".

I don't blame you at all. You don't know who is viewing it, or may walk off with it and they have your name, address, and SS # and the next thing you know you have credit card debt being racked up under your name.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 AM

154 posts, read 524,568 times
You could write "Provided at Time of Background Check" on the application and leave the SSN blank. I think an employer would understand your concerns on this and also realize that you will provide it when the appropriate time comes.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
You could write "Provided at Time of Background Check" on the application and leave the SSN blank. I think an employer would understand your concerns on this and also realize that you will provide it when the appropriate time comes.
I think that is an awful big assumption and one I don't personally agree with. If someone isn't comfortable providing that information that is their choice, but they shouldn't be surprised if their application get trashed.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM

154 posts, read 524,568 times
Manderly 6, please read the OP's third sentence.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Sounds like they're putting the cart before the horse. Why would they want the information for a background check before they've even met you and determined interest? Background checks can be expensive, depending on what they look for.

My gut says that something is funny about this, just based on what you said. For instance, why would a driving record be necessary? Is it a job where you will be driving a company vehicle?

Humor me: Is this a small company, a family-owned company, suburban, urban, etc? Even if the intention is pure--they want to have everything ready just in case they like you enough to pursue a background check--it sounds a bit naive to require that. They should know better. I'm not sure what kind of work it's for, but in my experience, the game goes: submit resume, then go for interview, then fill out application while waiting for interview/fill out application on the way out of interview/fill out application at second interview/fill out application on first day as formality for HR because people in my field tend not to be that anal as long as you can provide proof of citizenship when you start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search