Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

My current job and I are currently in Texas. I am applying to work for some Calif companies. Should I put a friend's Calif address on the resume instead of my Texas one? Does it make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Ethics aside, are you still working in Texas? Because if you are and your employer's address in Texas then, obviously, they're going to know you're in Texas.

That being said, I've been applying for jobs out-of-state and potential employers have told me that I wasn't in the running because of my geographic location. Also, I've been seeing ads that specifically say "local" and even define what they mean by local. Or some that specifically say out-of-state need not apply. So, yes, I think living in Texas and applying for jobs in Cali could very well be hurting your search.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
My current job and I are currently in Texas. I am applying to work for some Calif companies. Should I put a friend's Calif address on the resume instead of my Texas one? Does it make a difference?
Only do that if you already have plans to move there and you are okay with doing so on your own dime. I used my sister's address in the final few months before I moved to my current location, when I wasn't sure which apartment I was going to take but wanted to get a few more resumes out for good measure. There was definitely an uptick in responses compared to resumes sent from out of state, even though I mentioned specific moving dates and so on in the cover letter for the out-of-state resumes. I also had two interviews lined up for my first week here, one of which resulted in a job.

But you should have the plans already in place to go. Otherwise, just keep your Texas address on your resume. If you're willing to pay for the move yourself, you can explain that you do not expect the new employer to relocate you. Very few companies will pay these days, unfortunately. You'd pretty much have to be someone with niche skills they really need or fairly high up for them to do all of that--which usually means they find you or the situation evolves through networking, not you applying for jobs yourself.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
What are you going to do (and I've had it happen to me) if you get a call and they tell you that they know it is short notice, but they would like you to drive out there tomorrow and meet with them?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What are you going to do (and I've had it happen to me) if you get a call and they tell you that they know it is short notice, but they would like you to drive out there tomorrow and meet with them?
Just tell them that I can't due to work obligations, I suppose. I could always tell them that I'm "in transition" in my move. I have never expected the company to pay for moving expenses in the event of hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search