Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
The unemployment rate is dropping because people are leaving the labor force.
From now to November expect glowing (liar, liar, pants of fire) numbers out of the bowels of Washington claiming we are on the road to Dear Leader's great recovery

The real unemployment rate

Quote:
The unemployment rate is 8.1% but is that the real number of people out of work in America? Not even close.

As reported, 115,000 jobs were added in April, which is considerably lower than previously predicted. But still the number of jobs added brought the jobless rate down by .1 percent, which sure seems like things are moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

But the devil is in the details, and the truth is that the numbers hide a disturbing trend of people exiting the work universe by not even trying to find a job.
I wouldn't believe anything coming out of Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Lately it seems there is less to apply for than the last few months.

Is anyone else noticing this?
It really depends on a wide variety of things. For my skillset, I find there are LOTS of jobs to apply to in a 50 square mile radius.

I think your area determines a lot about availability, next your skillset.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
From now to November expect glowing (liar, liar, pants of fire) numbers out of the bowels of Washington claiming we are on the road to Dear Leader's great recovery

The real unemployment rate

I wouldn't believe anything coming out of Washington.
The "official" unemployment rate is called U-3. U-3 only measures "Total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force."

Employment is calculated by 6 different measures. U-6 is the measurement that is based on, "U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force." in April this number was 14.1 which is down from 15.5 a year ago.

Since the NY Post didn't give details but instead cheated by just hyper linking to other news articles, the economist Peter Morci didn't really give details as to how many college graduates are in low skill work. Or how he derived that number. Are these new graduates? Graduates out of school for how long? So who really knows what that number is.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I think so, too. Here in Dallas, I think it's the time of year. There's a rush of new jobs in the spring, as companies hire at beginning of new fiscal year, and after people leave after getting Christmas and other bonuses. Then there's a slack off heading into summer. That's what it seems like to me, anyway.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
It depends on what your field you're in. In mine, there are lots of jobs. Landing one of them isn't easy though. For many Americans, the fields that are hiring aren't easy to break into. They require more education and experience, the first of which you might not be able to afford.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Indianapolis, IN Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

Here in Indianapolis the number of job openings posted on Careerbuilder has jumped from 3500 at the beginning of the year to 4300 now.
Combine that with the lowest cost of living of any major US city, low taxes and the nations most affordable housing market and im surprised that number hasnt gone down.
That might be because Indiana has had some of the best job growth in the nation. 2nd only to Texas Plus we have the 5th best business climate in the country.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times
Thanks for your feedback.

My husband would love to go to TX but special ed. is a consideration with a child with Asperger Syndrome/autism. Schools good for that sort of thing where the jobs are are hard to weed through.

He's applied at plenty of hospitals online. Waiting to hear. Would be a huge move from NY.

Indiana, well, I'd try it but he's not so keen.

Basically the problem as I see it with how jobs seem to go, people with degrees are getting the jobs first, but these are lower level than they'd do. So for people without degrees, you have to take the next rung below.

I just want a decent town, with a good school so we can settle down for once, save, and buy a house.

The American dream that never came true for so many.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

My husband would love to go to TX but special ed. is a consideration with a child with Asperger Syndrome/autism. Schools good for that sort of thing where the jobs are are hard to weed through.

He's applied at plenty of hospitals online. Waiting to hear. Would be a huge move from NY.

Basically the problem as I see it with how jobs seem to go, people with degrees are getting the jobs first, but these are lower level than they'd do. So for people without degrees, you have to take the next rung below.

I just want a decent town, with a good school so we can settle down for once, save, and buy a house.

Chef like I said earlier I think the job market truly depends on what you do. In my niche or skillset, I don't know anyone who are taking pay cuts or choosing lesser jobs. There seems to be ample openings.

On the other hand, if you have a more generic skill set or you don't have certain education or credentials I think you will find yourself competing with so many others (other generalists, entry level bachelor degree holders, transitioners who need work, etc).

My aunt had similar issues, she never completed her education and even though she had good experience she was competing with people from all kinds of backgrounds or previous industries who had similar generalist skills that needed jobs as well.

Less specific jobs have low barriers to entry which directly correlates to more competition.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I think it is impossible to generalize about something as complex as "the job market in the USA."

My field requires advanced education. What my employer is currently doing, which they didn't used to do, is hire people on contract/no benefits. This used to be rare, now we have had 4 positions open in the past month that are all contract.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:

If your hubby is in the Medical field then Indianapolis would be a perfect place for you guys.
#1 there is a MASSIVE Medical establishment in Indy. You have IU health network hospitals/Riley Hospital/Wishard Hospital/Peyton Manning childrens Hospital. Plus Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis in Downtown Indy also has several medical establishments tied to it.
#2 as i said before the cost of living is lowest of any major US city. Very affordable housing too.
#3 were within a days drive to 75% of the US population.
That was one major reason why Indianapolis had record breaking Super Bowl crowds for the 10 days leading up to Super Bowl 46. over 1,500,000 people flooded the Super Bowl Village during those 10 days. The NFL Experience set attendence records *over 275,000* and there is already demands to bring another Super Bowl back to Indy around 2020 in Lucas Oil Stadium again. Talk about standing out in the north for the nations 11th largest city

Finally as Careerbuilder.com showed there are other jobs in Indianapolis for you to pick up on so your hubby can land a medical job well you have options too that dont require a college education

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 05-06-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search