Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Well my original complaint stands regardless... and that is that I see an interview as a 2-way street. The employer evaluating me and visa versa.

My recent experiences have not been ones I would ever want to repeat simply because I wasn't able to determine if the job was a good fit and my goal of determining the hiring manager's underlying needs was not met.

It feels like there's some secret criteria that is being used and if I say the right words in the exact right way the lock is opened. And if I don't, then it's not. I used to be great at interviewing--all kinds of interviews, I don't understand what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
"What have you been doing with your time since your last job"
I always expect to be asked this question as it's been many months now. I candidly answer that during this period of time I've:

- completed a 36 hour certification class and am studying for a specific certification test

- volunteer my time for xyz organization

- and am researching companies and industries in my geographical area since I have the time to do it.

If that's not adequate then ... {shrug}. It happens to take a loooong time to complete one interview cycle with one company. It can take 2 months or more, depending. And competition is stiff. That's the reality.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Your answer would work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I always expect to be asked this question as it's been many months now. I candidly answer that during this period of time I've:

- completed a 36 hour certification class and am studying for a specific certification test

You are bringing more to the table than you did with your last job. Professional growth benefits my company and that you are willing to get it on your own means you will bring that work ethic with you.

- volunteer my time for xyz organization

You are staying busy and using your time productively. I wish all employees would do this.

- and am researching companies and industries in my geographical area since I have the time to do it.

You are looking for a job which you feel will be a long term fit. Also excellent.

If that's not adequate then ... {shrug}. It happens to take a loooong time to complete one interview cycle with one company. It can take 2 months or more, depending. And competition is stiff. That's the reality.
It definitely is the reality. I am not sure about the recruiters and hiring managers that you are talking to, but I would have no issues with the answers you gave as to what you have been doing with your time.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 AM

No one has seemed to have an issue so far with that.

And I was laid off from my prior company after 6+ years, so I'm clearly someone who can and will commit to one company and stay. I also let the fact that I had 5 managers in 6+ years at that last company known. All from reorganizations, none from me leaving a position or looking for brighter pastures. It's important for a hiring manager to know that I am flexible and adaptable and will embrace change, and as long as the paycheck isn't bouncing, then everything else is fine! (I did work for a company that didn't make payroll on time and even skipped a couple payrolls....so I know what that's like).

Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,276 times
Thoughts from this thread/article:

1. I heard they're trying to pass a low that prevents unemployment discrimination, meaning they're trying to find a way for employers to stop making hiring decisions based on whether someone is unemployed.

2. I work in the background screening industry. Many larger companies do a background check on you. 95% of the companies I've sold to do NOT follow the correct Adverse Action Process when deciding not to hire based on information found in a background check.

- You'll know a company does a background check on you because you have to consent to it. You sign a consent form.

- If they find something they don't like, even if it's as little as one thing a previous employer said about you that wasn't very good: They have to notify you via mail they chose not to hire you BECAUSE of what they found in the background check. They also have to provide you a copy of the report, a copy of the FCRA, and "reasonable time" to dispute the information if it's incorrect.

- If a company runs a background check on you and you don't get the job: Ask them for a copy of the background report. By law, they HAVE to give it to you.

- If you find something negative on your background report and they didn't not follow the correct steps to notifying you: You have grounds for a lawsuit. Cases have been awarded in the millions of dollars for these types of cases.

It blows my mind how many companies don't follow this required Fair Credit Reporting Act procedure in the hiring process and they open themselves up to major liability.

Just a few tips for those unemployed.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Thoughts from this thread/article:

1. I heard they're trying to pass a low that prevents unemployment discrimination, meaning they're trying to find a way for employers to stop making hiring decisions based on whether someone is unemployed.

2. I work in the background screening industry. Many larger companies do a background check on you. 95% of the companies I've sold to do NOT follow the correct Adverse Action Process when deciding not to hire based on information found in a background check.

- You'll know a company does a background check on you because you have to consent to it. You sign a consent form.

- If they find something they don't like, even if it's as little as one thing a previous employer said about you that wasn't very good: They have to notify you via mail they chose not to hire you BECAUSE of what they found in the background check. They also have to provide you a copy of the report, a copy of the FCRA, and "reasonable time" to dispute the information if it's incorrect.

- If a company runs a background check on you and you don't get the job: Ask them for a copy of the background report. By law, they HAVE to give it to you.

- If you find something negative on your background report and they didn't not follow the correct steps to notifying you: You have grounds for a lawsuit. Cases have been awarded in the millions of dollars for these types of cases.

It blows my mind how many companies don't follow this required Fair Credit Reporting Act procedure in the hiring process and they open themselves up to major liability.

Just a few tips for those unemployed.
Thanks so much for this valuable information - perhaps I can get my friend who keeps getting turned down again and again to request these reports - and just maybe he'll have grounds for a nice, big, fat lawsuit.

And it'd be a real godsend if they do pass an anti-discrimination law to help the unemployed - they need to do that asap, along with banning credit checks.

If only Obama would campaign on this type of issue - he'd win in a massive landslide.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thanks so much for this valuable information - perhaps I can get my friend who keeps getting turned down again and again to request these reports - and just maybe he'll have grounds for a nice, big, fat lawsuit.

And it'd be a real godsend if they do pass an anti-discrimination law to help the unemployed - they need to do that asap, along with banning credit checks.

If only Obama would campaign on this type of issue - he'd win in a massive landslide.
Credit Checks can only be run on applicants who:

- Are working for a financial or banking institution. Any organization that deals with finances or money.

- The position applied for is an accounting/finance/controller position where the person would be managing and handling money.

- The position applied for expects to pay $75,000 a year or more.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM

What exactly gets checked during a "typical background check?" Not Defense Dept level of background checking, but the typical corporate employment situation for a mid-level manager?

I know they check the following:

1. credit scores and/or any financial issues including bankruptcy
2. prior criminal convictions
3. traffic infractions/moving violations
4. prior employers
5. claims against worker's comp or disability
6. citizenship

What other records?

Are they looking up Social Security Records? Bank balances? Mortgage Statements?

And what about employers from over a decade ago who are no longer in business and haven't been for over a decade? I worked at a couple tiny companies that closed their doors many years ago (over a decade). I don't even have my W-2 statements that go back more than 7 years because tax law only requires keeping 7 years worth of records.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
What exactly gets checked during a "typical background check?" Not Defense Dept level of background checking, but the typical corporate employment situation for a mid-level manager?

I know they check the following:

1. credit scores and/or any financial issues including bankruptcy
2. prior criminal convictions
3. traffic infractions/moving violations
4. prior employers
5. claims against worker's comp or disability
6. citizenship

What other records?

Are they looking up Social Security Records? Bank balances? Mortgage Statements?

And what about employers from over a decade ago who are no longer in business and haven't been for over a decade? I worked at a couple tiny companies that closed their doors many years ago (over a decade). I don't even have my W-2 statements that go back more than 7 years because tax law only requires keeping 7 years worth of records.
A background check is a composition of reports. There's no such thing as a "standard" background check. It's whatever information they want to research on you based on the type of position and what they want to know.

1. Only if they are doing credit history, which they need to justify being able to do and need to pass a site inspection to be approved for.
2. Not just convictions, they can see if you've been charged/acquited/plead guilty to lesser charge as well. They can also see current open cases on you.
3. Traffic violations yes, but only if they run an MVR report which costs more money because it's an additonal report. Usually they won't spend the money to run this on you unless the position requires you drive (sales, drivers, truck companies, etc).
4. Employment Verification, yes. They'll verfiy that you actually worked there, the dates of employment, the salary, and if you're eligible for rehire (that is why they ask those questions and if you lie they will find out). If they go more in-depth, they may INTERVIEW the previous manager, ask if you got along with others, left on good terms, tardy/late, hard to manage, rate you on a scale of 1-5, etc.
5. Workers Comp History cannot be used pre-offer and cannot be used in the decision of whether to hire someone. They can only run work comp history on you AFTER THEYVE OFFERED YOU THE JOB and they can only use the information to make sure you're physically fit to do the job. Meaning if you had a back injuriy in the past, they would send you to a doctor to make sure you can lift 50 lbs (or whatever is required). They have to try and work around it meaning give you a hand truck or assistant to help you lift things and accommodate the position to you. They can't refuse you the position unless it absolutely requires that you have to be able to do something for the job and a doctor says you physically can't do it.
6. They can, but 99% don't. What they DO run is a Social Security Trace. Meaning they run a report on the SS# you give and they can pull up all names, dates of birth, and addresses lived under that SS#. Usually it will always be your name or any previous names (example: maiden name) and your DOB and all of your addresses. They do this to see if you lied about an alias name or if you lied about where you lived. County Court Criminal Records are filed by NAME and DOB....not SS#. They do this to make sure they search you completely. One of the added benefits is that it's easy to tell if you're using a fake SS# because people who sell them usually sell them to a dozen other people, so the Social Security Trace ends up pulling up 12 foreign names and DOB's and it's easy to realize that this is a fake SS# that was sold and the applicant is probably an illegal alien.

Other records:

education verifications - verify you went to school and graduated.
Multi-Jurisdictional - Searches certain criminal databases (Nation Sex Offender list, Interpol wanted list, etc.)
Federal National Search - some crimes don't fall under county jurisdiction and call under Federal District Court (across state lines, white collar crimes like embezzlement, IT related crimes like hacking).
Civil Search - Find out if you've been sued or if you've sued other people, divorce court suits, alimony, etc.
Professional Licenses - Verify you are a licensed doctor or lawyer or any professional license that people may lie about.

There are no social security records. Financial info may be in a credit report, but I'm not sure.

If employers can't verify you worked there because of that situation they just say "unable to verify". Doesn't go against you. Most searches for employment only go back 7 years. Some truck driving companies go back 10 but a lot of that info is in a national database already anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM

One quick MythBuster for everyone about this: There's no centralized database with all of your personal information.

People see FBI shows on TV and think that there's one data base where they search your SS# and they pull up all your records, bank accounts, work history, etc.

It's not like that AT ALL. It's more like goverment's information is closer to the right hand doesn't know what the left pinky is doing. This information is stored in hundreds and thousands of different managed databases and records. There's 3800 counties in the US that store the criminal information for crimes in their county only. There's no data base that has any more than 1100 counties of information. Many companies don't do much work in criminal history reporting. The industry average for chance of pulling up a criminal hit on a background report is 8%. My organization totes QUALITY reporting and we have about an 18% hit rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search