Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for an internship. I used to work at a supermarket but I left on a bit of a bad note. If I put it down and mark that they can't call them, that wouldn't be very good. If I don't put it down then they wouldn't even know, but that seems unethical to me.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm considering applying for an internship. I used to work at a supermarket but I left on a bit of a bad note. If I put it down and mark that they can't call them, that wouldn't be very good. If I don't put it down then they wouldn't even know, but that seems unethical to me.

Thoughts?

It's not unethical. The worst that can happen is someone ask about that period of time and why you weren't working.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default It's ok...

Quote:

Thoughts?
If the work experience is applicable to the job you are applying for your should list the employer. Past employers can only advise whether or not
you are eligible for rehire. Can't give reasons.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
If the work experience is applicable to the job you are applying for your should list the employer. Past employers can only advise whether or not
That's not really true, it's typical and a good idea, but depending who answers the phone and how dumb they are you could get anything when calling for a reference/verification. I've hired many people over the years and you'd be amazed at what people will tell you. I personally never give more than the employment dates and job title.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's not unethical. The worst that can happen is someone ask about that period of time and why you weren't working.
Well it was mainly during the summer between school years so it wouldn't be that striking that I "didn't" work.
Quote:
True, but wouldn't it raise an eyebrow if a person wasn't eligible for rehire?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I see you are applying for an internship. I assume you are a student. Since I am just past that stage in my life I think I can comment.

Not sure what field you are in but unless it's some sort of agricultural something or other I am sure your grocery store job would be listed just to show you held a job. You could always list it and not list anyone from there as a reference. I have found that internships are more interested in teachers or previous internship supervisors as references than part time job people. Maybe you're in writing and a fantastic writer but you suck at stocking shelves, that shouldn't hurt your internship.

Bottom line: if you are a student you probably have splotchy work experience anyways so try and make your resume relevant more to the internship you are applying for.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM

140 posts, read 298,769 times
Chances are very good your previous employer's legal adviser has told them not to give any references, good or bad, only confirm you worked there.

Leaving them out isn't good, unexplained gaps in your history throw up big red flags for new employers.

If this was a part time job while in school you can leave them out but this also leaves out you have any work experience.

Keep the saying "Don't burn your bridges" in mind for future reference.

My advice; List them and your duties there, if they are called they will almost certainly only confirm you worked there, nothing more.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Fair enough. I'll go ahead and list them. Thanks everyone.

e: Yes, Offset, I definitely need to keep that saying in mind.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Nobody checks.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
That is ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!! As long as they tell the truth in an objective manner, they can say whatever they want. If the OP threw jars of pasta sauce all over the aisle before storming out, they can certainly say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search