Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I will see a doctor here in about three weeks. That is the soonest I can get in.
Do you have a partner who can at least give you massages at night? Or a massage therapist? I wrecked my back-chiropractic visits were not covered on insurance, but massage can be done by someone close to you if you don't have a therapist. Just an idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,665 times
I feel your pain I am handicapped can not stand for hours on end. My legs would not allow it. But with alot of low end jobs you have to stand. Which is all I see these days. And it is not like I even see many jobs at all at this point anyways.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I feel your pain I am handicapped can not stand for hours on end. My legs would not allow it. But with alot of low end jobs you have to stand. Which is all I see these days. And it is not like I even see many jobs at all at this point anyways.
Can't they offer some sort of accommodations? Certainly it is not too much to ask to have a chair at your station for occasional use.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Andy on paper they would have to offer me accommodations if they hire me. They have fixed that problem by not hiring me at all. At one time the rate of handicapped people working was 30%. It is now down to 17.9% and keeps dropping like a rock. Of the 17.9% half work part time. Only about 9% work full time. With 100's for every job why hire me at all? The way they look at it if they hire me and give me no accommodations. I could sue them under the ADA US employers have no interest in worker rights. Why hire a handicapped guy who might win in court. And they sure do not want to train anyone. Let alone a handicapped guy who might take a little longer to get up to speed.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
It rarely makes sense to hire a handicapped person when an adequate able person is available. This is unfortunate for those who are disabled.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM

But see here is the problem. I want to work I need to make a living. So what is the point of getting educated or being driven and want to work? It would be in society's best interest to have the handicapped working. Just in terms of cost to the taxpayer every year. But from what I see the government nor the private sector could care less.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
It is exactly what you said. A big problem. I don't have a solution... from a macro perspective, it's best if employers hire you. However, there is so much volatility that employers want to take the easy way out and that is to hire a qualified able person

Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It is exactly what you said. A big problem. I don't have a solution... from a macro perspective, it's best if employers hire you. However, there is so much volatility that employers want to take the easy way out and that is to hire a qualified able person
My sentiment exactly. Recall the nature of unintended consequences, the same law that enables accomodation also increases business cost, reduces flexibility, and gives the competitor who did NOT hire someone needing special accomodations at a distinct advantage. So many corps want to be the one who did not hire said employee.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 AM

417 posts, read 824,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am currently underemployed in manufacturing. My job is absolutely hurting me. My back hurts from standing in one place for 8 hours. It get so bad by the end of the 8 hours, that I can barely walk. Next week, I have to start working 54 hours a week, 10 hour shifts.

It seems like if I work any job that requires standing in one place for a long time, I end up with severe back pain. I am fine as long as I can walk around or sit down.

I am beginning to think I am screwed because all the jobs available now are low-paying cashier type jobs where you stand in one place all the time. I wish I could find a dang career where there were actually jobs. I would start training tomorrow, if I weren't afraid of not finding a job after the training is over.
A) Try to do something so you don't hurt.
B) Disability if you can get it.
C) Work until it kills you.
D) Try find a different job / change fields / move
E) Start your own business
F) Try to find someone that would support you unemployed while you pursue your dreams.

I figure those are your options. I can't offer any real advice. However, I'd simply point out maybe being afraid of the crummy job market isn't helping your chances. Of course it's crummy, but we still have to glare at it. In any case, sorry to hear about your crappy situation. I know someone who went through the same thing.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
I thought my job was bad because I got sore at the end of every day. I hope you can find a solution and a better job soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search