U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM

816 posts, read 1,275,816 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am currently in the Navy and plan to get out soon. About 9 more months to be exact. The Navy has been my only real job thus far and I am actually quite nervous yet excited to jump out there into the civilian world and see what is available.

I recently stopped by a resume writing service office to have them help me assist in writing my resume and from my 4 years experience in the Navy, I am quite underqualified. I am pretty open to any job out there. Not really looking for anything in particular.

I was wondering if you guys could please give me some tips on boosting and diversifying my resume to help me be more flexible out there in the job market. Are there any certifications I could get to help me out? Any advice helps... stuff even like a guard card or a forklift drivers license etc.

thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 AM

878 posts, read 1,585,372 times
In this economy? There isn't a lot out there and you WILL be competing with hundreds for the same job. Staying in is probably a wiser choice.

For example... a forklift job might get you $10 hr.

Big bucks?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM

yes i've heard it a million times... I am getting out for sure. No changing my mind. The military is not my cup of tea.

With that being said, any tips for making my resume a bit more flexible?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM

4,402 posts, read 13,011,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
yes i've heard it a million times... I am getting out for sure. No changing my mind. The military is not my cup of tea.

With that being said, any tips for making my resume a bit more flexible?
What are your skills? You have to have learned something in the military that translates to the outside of the military job market.

Also, what do you want to do? I am in customer service and recruiting, so I am looking for someone who loves people, who is willing to talk to people, etc. Sell your abilities. Sell those things that allow you to stand out to the person interviewing you. Without some idea what you consider your skills, it is hard to say what you can add to your resume, but the experiences you have and how you handle the things you encounter often translate to more job experience than you think.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM

11,680 posts, read 21,369,041 times
What exactly do you do in the navy?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM

My job title is Mineman. We specialize in detecting and neutralizing underwater mines. It doesn't translate well into the civilian world at all lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM

4,402 posts, read 13,011,493 times
Not really, LOL

But at the same time, it sort of does. Do not focus on what you do specifically, rather the skills that you use and have developed. Patience, attention to detail, the ability to work well under pressure all translate, even though the amount of time spent in the civilian world looking for underwater mines is likely going to be very little.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM

973 posts, read 1,389,967 times
From what I see of your rating here:Mineman (MN)

It looks like you have some industrial mechanical and small electronics experience. Might could focus in on that. Cell Phone repair techs (small electronics), Maybe some of the metal trades (Iron Workers, Millwrights, Pipefitters {because of the hand tools, hoisting and rigging}), Metal Fab Shops.

If you could throw some Industrial Certificates behind that, you could get more money. Check with some community colleges on the Certs or A.A.S. Degrees.

Hope this helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search