Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

I seem to do really well in in-person interviews, but bomb phone interviews. Is there a secret? I'm starting to think that since it's a phone interview and they're not brining you in for an in-person they are looking for something in particular. What can that be? I have one tomorrow and I really want this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Here are my tips for phone interviews:

1.) Prepare for a phone interview just like you would for an in-person interview - know how your experience matches what the company is looking for, highlight your accomplishments that relate to the position, and make sure you have some thoughtful questions to ask at the end.

2.) Find a place where you can spread out your resume, cover letter and job description. That way, when the interviewer asks you a question, you can easily and quickly refer to this information. You can even dress up like you would a regular interview. That may help you get in the right mindset.

3.) Toward the end, ask the interviewer if he/she has any concerns about you doing the job. If he/she does state something (lack of experience, knowledge, etc.) this will give you an opportunity to address it and hopefully highlight your strengths and how they will benefit the position and organization.

4.) Listen, listen, listen! May seem obvious, but don't let you mind wander while you are on the phone. Stay focused on what the person is saying/asking. And don't interrupt (which is more difficult to do on the phone because you can't see one another). View it as a conversation where you are learning more about the position and the interviewer is learning more about you and your strengths.

5.) Be sure to project enthusiasm and confidence in your voice.

That's all I have for now. Best wishes!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM

102 posts, read 187,877 times
good luck! i have a phone interview tomorrow as well and am nervous as hell. first it's doing the work day, so i have to go find a quiet place (outside) in the city to do the call. i also am terrible on the phone and turn in a bumbling mess.

what i did was type up bullet points about my work experience, skills, etc, and also looked up possible interview questions, and wrote answers to them out, as well as possible questions for them. i will print all of these out as well as my resume, cover letter and job description and have them with me while i am on the phone.

would love to know how yours goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search