Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
I have been unemployed for 9 months. Since then I have applied to every position/lead that I can get my hands on. I make calls, network with friends and family, go "door-to-door" delivering my resume..etc. I have
had quite a few interviews but nothing works out. I'm beginning to take it personally and becoming dejected. I know there are many more people out there with the same problem. Advice? How are you coping? Other strategies?
hi cakmke, i am also unemployed and feeling dejected. i have done a lot of work - applications online and i attempt networking when i have the chance. do you know about LinkedIn? that is another way to do some networking. i am also registered with some staffing agencies - these are used frequently for the kind of position i am looking for (administrative assistant).

most days I feel like nothing is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Technically, determining that there no jobs worthy of applying for is still a search for work. AZ's appellate court summed it well when it found that, "just because there are no jobs available for a claimant does not mean that a claimant should be found unavailable for work." They then went on to restore the claimants benefits. It involved a case where the unemployment office was denying benefits and pressuring claimants to start looking for work in areas over 100 miles from their homes. This particular claimant taking the case to the court did AZ claimants a world of good.
Exactly, why set yourself up to be a miserable situation which would affect your job performance. And I also have proof that I had 1 interview in January for a job I did not get, 1 speed interview for a job in february i did not get, a phone interview for a job in March I did not get. So that basically supports my argument that there was no jobs for me to apply to in April along with the fact I applied to more jobs in May which one of the jobs I will be taking a test for on Thursday. So no one can ever come to me about not wanting to work when I been working for 13 straight years.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrich7 View Post
hi cakmke, i am also unemployed and feeling dejected. i have done a lot of work - applications online and i attempt networking when i have the chance. do you know about LinkedIn? that is another way to do some networking. i am also registered with some staffing agencies - these are used frequently for the kind of position i am looking for (administrative assistant).

I know I'm sick of hearing about linkedin because the site is so overhyped and that's why you see people on there showing their desperation for work. It appears that it's for people who are already employed and I will admit I never went on there when I was working and believe if I had went on there maybe I wouldn't be in this situation today. So I made a promise to myself that I will go on linkedin once I start working again so I can network and not wait until I;m unemployed.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
I have been unemployed for 9 months. Since then I have applied to every position/lead that I can get my hands on. I make calls, network with friends and family, go "door-to-door" delivering my resume..etc. I have had quite a few interviews but nothing works out. I'm beginning to take it personally and becoming dejected. I know there are many more people out there with the same problem. Advice? How are you coping? Other strategies?
Multiply what you wrote above by 100-300 times (applicants) for every decent job that is advertized .... and then recognize that there is only ONE job! Most resumes only have about a 10-15% chance of even being seen by a decision-maker, a 2-3% chance of resulting in an interview and a 1% chance of getting hired (after all of those with a 'personal connection' or 'promotable within' are filtered-out).

If you take that type of 'rejection' personally, you are setting yourself up for chronic depression. It is also probably worthwhile to remember that the goal of a really good resume ... is to get you an interview!

Another thing to remember is that, in spite of horrific 'unemployment numbers,' ... you only need ONE job ... not 12% of all the available jobs.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,945 times
Quote:
I have been unemployed for 9 months. Since then I have applied to every position/lead that I can get my hands on. I make calls, network with friends and family, go "door-to-door" delivering my resume..etc. I have
had quite a few interviews but nothing works out. I'm beginning to take it personally and becoming dejected. I know there are many more people out there with the same problem. Advice? How are you coping? Other strategies?
Never take it personal. Let me say that again. Never take it personal. Just keep plugging away. Become robotic when comes to applying for positions. If they don't like you, move to the next. Its very difficult out there, don't believe the lies that the economy is turning around, its not.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,117 times
I concur, the moment u take it personal is the moment depression will kick on hard.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

198 posts, read 388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrich7 View Post
Exactly!

But you need to keep pushing ahead nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search