Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,905,735 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job. I got an immediate call back - in a few minutes, actually.

The person who called said they'd had an OVERWHELMING response. A large part of the job is phone work, but that she LOVED my voice/phone presence. I scheduled an interview for the following day, she said she would squeeze me in between a couple of others as her schedule was already full, but she really wanted to meet with me.

I got ill the following morning. Not just a little bit - 'went to the hospital' ill. I called her from the hospital, in the hopes of being rescheduled. She never returned my call. I shrugged it off, figured everything happens for a reason.

But now the position is being advertised again... with stricter guidelines on requirements, how/when to apply, etc. And less money. A LOT less money.

When I first saw it, as the ad just about describes me and my resume, I was going to re-apply... until I saw the new pay listed. The previous ad didn't list the pay, but it was something she mentioned during my preliminary phone interview.

lol - some sucker will take the position!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,162,452 times
Another nefarious ploy by another wonderful employer. Use an open ended salary to judge the response, and then base the dirt pay on that.

You are right, some sucker will take the job, and that is a sad state of affairs.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,686,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Another nefarious ploy by another wonderful employer. Use an open ended salary to judge the response, and then base the dirt pay on that.

You are right, some sucker will take the job, and that is a sad state of affairs.
And the employers are well aware of that, which is why they're taking advantage of the fact.

There's nothing the employee can really do about it.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM

841 posts, read 1,911,590 times
Yes, it's what they are doing now. Chipping down the wages lower.

You don't answer the phone on the first ring and remember which job out of the 100 jobs you applied to and they get annoyed and pass you by.

I can't wait till this turns around.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

Simply supply and demand, just like airfares, or 1,000 other products. And in the late 90s, the situation was reversed, and employers were having to increase their salary budgets on a regular basis. No one was harping on how unfair it was than, when the tables were turned.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Simply supply and demand, just like airfares, or 1,000 other products. And in the late 90s, the situation was reversed, and employers were having to increase their salary budgets on a regular basis. No one was harping on how unfair it was than, when the tables were turned.
That's not surprising, since there are far, far more employees than employers. I think it's much better for society for the employers to get the short end of the stick, due to a labor shortage, than what we have now, with millions upon millions of people getting the brunt end of the "supply and demand" curve.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,436,652 times
sskkc, I know exactly what you are talking about! Last year I traveled from CT to ME for a job interview. The job listing set a very specific wage range with final salary dependant upon experience. I was overqualified for the position but really wanted (and still want) to move to Maine so I interviewed in person for the position. At the end of questioning I was told that the wages would be below the minimum listed wage-poverty level if I had to support myself. 7 hour drive to and from the interview for nothing. I was called back after the interview for documentation to proceed with hiring but I turned the employer down. I'm sure someone else took the job and is now struggling to make ends meet. We are in a very bad situation when scenarios like this become the norm.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,697,499 times
That's why the economy is suffering... Companies are lowballing salaries and making salaried people into overtime slaves. I've stood up for myself at job interviews and presented a low minimum wage of $48,000 a year for myself, which is a pathetic wage for someone with 5.75 years experience and my skill set. If a company cannot hire you at a good wage working like a slave for them and doing awesome work will not pay off as they will rip you off when you ask for a salary raise which they will be very cheap on and they will disreguard your achievements.

If I interview at a company that lowballs me I give them the spiel that that's why the economy is suffering... Corporate profits ahead of people. Like Caterpiller is making record profits and they threaten to cut salaries of their workers and increase their health care costs. I stood up recruiter calling me for Caterpiller temp Mech Eng jobs which I tell them the minimum for suck a heavy skill requirement contract job should be $30/hr - they try to lowball me at $27/hr, - which is the rate I will work for them for easier Proe Designer or Technical Writer work.

I interviewed at Cummins Alison and I was among 10 people called for a first interview among 221 competing resumes. I didn't get a second interview despite having perfect qualifications for the job; I had everything they needed but my salary of $48,000 a year was too much for them. I have 2 years of Proe experience, 2 years of Tech Writing, knowledge of PLCS, Industrial Controls, and knowledge of programming good enough to understand and document PC automated machinery - so yes, I should be worth an entry level engineer's salary of $56,000 - which Cummins Alison and Cozzini said "was too much." At this level of skills, knowledge, experience, and school training college is just not worth it. I met a former factory worker who quit factory work at Platt Luggage and has stayed at Home Depot for 15 years - her salary now ... $60,000 + health insurance + a steady easier Home Depot job... But sometimes I think she lied to me about her salary.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's not surprising, since there are far, far more employees than employers. I think it's much better for society for the employers to get the short end of the stick, due to a labor shortage, than what we have now, with millions upon millions of people getting the brunt end of the "supply and demand" curve.
Its actually better to have balance. Late 90s employee shortage put us at a disadvantage vs the world.
The full employment 5-6% unemployed in transition level is best.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If I interview at a company that lowballs me I give them the spiel that that's why the economy is suffering... .
Your spiel plus 4 quarters and tax will get you an item on the dollar menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search