Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times

Advertisements

And I'm a nervous wreck. It's for an Underwriting position and I think I have a decent shot considering the fact the company loves to promote from within and I have a good track record with them and I also have a lot of transferable skills. I'm nervous because I have never networked with anyone from that Dept and I'm not sure where to start (should I email? IM? Lunch?). I also don't have experience. What should I do? Would it be okay to email some of them? Ugh this is making me so anxious, please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Does you boss know about this and can they help you? Perhaps they have connections in that department.

I wouldn't just start emailing or trying to do lunch with people from that group at this point.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Treat it like you would any other job. You wouldn't email people who may be coworkers at a company you didn't already work for, so you don't do it in this situation. I know it seems weird, but you are not part of that department...don;t make it look like you are ready to jump to the new department before anything is settled. That keeps either department from thinking you were anxious to get rid of the first one. This matters either way but it REALLY matters if for some reason you don't get the job, or decide not to take it, and are working with your current group. If they think that you were anxious to get away from them, that could really damage work morale and the work experience for you!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 PM

So I should just apply and not try to get some insight or advice from any of the seniors? I haven't told my boss yet, I'm not sure if I would even say anything to him about it, at least not until an interview is secured.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
I wouldn't get advice. People are funny and work relationships can be messed up easily. Lay low, behave like you would if you were applying to another company. If you know anyone who is no longer with the company in that department, ask them. But talking to people in the other department is a little like using your current employer as a reference...damaging to relationships.

I would, however, mention it to your boss BEFORE the company hiring process gets to him. What I mean by this is that in every internal promotion, someone at sometime is going to ask the applicant's direct report. If he is surprised by this conversation it could damage your working relationship with him as well as your chances. So, if they solicit recommendations at the interview, etc...ask before that. If there is no policy, talk to him ASAP. He wil find out before you tell him you are going to another department, I can guarantee that.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I wouldn't get advice. People are funny and work relationships can be messed up easily. Lay low, behave like you would if you were applying to another company. If you know anyone who is no longer with the company in that department, ask them. But talking to people in the other department is a little like using your current employer as a reference...damaging to relationships.

I would, however, mention it to your boss BEFORE the company hiring process gets to him. What I mean by this is that in every internal promotion, someone at sometime is going to ask the applicant's direct report. If he is surprised by this conversation it could damage your working relationship with him as well as your chances. So, if they solicit recommendations at the interview, etc...ask before that. If there is no policy, talk to him ASAP. He wil find out before you tell him you are going to another department, I can guarantee that.
Thanks so much for the for the info. Guess I'll be on Linked In and Glassdoor for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search