Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I have an interview on Tuesday for an analyst position. Their focus is on expert Excel skills, which I do have. The hiring manager with whom I had a phone interview, said it would be really good if I bring examples of my analysis that I have done in Excel. I do have this, but I'm not sure how to "bring it." Do I bring a flash drive with all this? I doubt it. I was thinking of inserting comments as to what type of formula is used where and why and printing it out with the comments. Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
Do you have a laptop you can bring? The best demonstration would be for you to open excel, show your proficiency while you navigate through it, your macros, and your functions.

If you don't have a laptop, bring Excel files on a usb drive.

Good Luck. Definitely show how easily you can navigate and move through data in Excel also, pivot tables, vlookups/hlookups, color format, etc.

Good Luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctecchie View Post
Do you have a laptop you can bring? The best demonstration would be for you to open excel, show your proficiency while you navigate through it, your macros, and your functions.

If you don't have a laptop, bring Excel files on a usb drive.

Good Luck. Definitely show how easily you can navigate and move through data in Excel also, pivot tables, vlookups/hlookups, color format, etc.

Good Luck.
So people actually bring laptops? I never thought of that. The thing is that it is for a government job, panel interview, 45 min time limit. I have to answer 10 questions. I'm not sure I would have time to show anything on the laptop?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Personally I would think they just want you to maybe bring a printout and discuss it. It would be a bit awkward if they wanted you to actually get on a computer and start doing a demo.

Can you email this person? Ask for more clarification of exactly what he wants?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would think they just want you to maybe bring a printout and discuss it. It would be a bit awkward if they wanted you to actually get on a computer and start doing a demo.

Can you email this person? Ask for more clarification of exactly what he wants?
It's government and everything is very standard. They can't suggest that I do this or that or help me out in anyway. They tell every applicant that they want examples of their work, which is why he told me. I asked him a few more clarification questions during the phone interview but he just paused and I was like "right, you can't coach me or make suggestions" which he mentioned earlier in the interview. If he tells me something, he would have to tell every applicant and I know that some already have interviewed for the position.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
In that case I would bring everything. Laptop, flashdrive, printouts. Then ask them which method they prefer when the interview starts.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 96,171 times
I had a similar situation for the panel interview (state job).

I'm 99% certain that your interview will be held in some kind of small conf room setting with no computers, so flashdrive option is out IMO.

I brought multiple copies of my work examples and handed out to each interviewer for them to review and ask any questions. They looked at it, and each asked a question. I answered.

These govt interviews are very strictly structured. Get used to them writing furiously while you're talking. They have to document and assign numeric score for each answer you give.

I personally wouldn't recommend the laptop option because they are running on strict schedule and need to ask a specific number of questions and what not. So, if you do, make sure your computer is already prepped and ready to go with your Excel example as soon as you open your laptop.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseccus View Post
I had a similar situation for the panel interview (state job).

I'm 99% certain that your interview will be held in some kind of small conf room setting with no computers, so flashdrive option is out IMO.

I brought multiple copies of my work examples and handed out to each interviewer for them to review and ask any questions. They looked at it, and each asked a question. I answered.

These govt interviews are very strictly structured. Get used to them writing furiously while you're talking. They have to document and assign numeric score for each answer you give.

I personally wouldn't recommend the laptop option because they are running on strict schedule and need to ask a specific number of questions and what not. So, if you do, make sure your computer is already prepped and ready to go with your Excel example as soon as you open your laptop.
Oh God, that's the worst! If you have never been through that, it's unsettling. But very good advice for anyone going through their very first government interview.

One of my part time jobs is government work and it was...yah, it made me uncomfortable all that scribbling but in the end, I got the job so I guess the scribbling isn't all bad.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh God, that's the worst! If you have never been through that, it's unsettling. But very good advice for anyone going through their very first government interview.

One of my part time jobs is government work and it was...yah, it made me uncomfortable all that scribbling but in the end, I got the job so I guess the scribbling isn't all bad.
Luckily I've done a panel before for government. And yes, two of them wrote like crazy while the other one read out the questions. It was unnerving at first but then I got into a groove. I didn't have to bring any samples for that one, but for this one I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search