Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:00 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Glad it worked for you. Sounds like it was really worth it!
Nothing wrong with a change of scenery.

I was prepared to go anywhere... and what's funny is within a week of getting out here last year I got phone calls from employers in NC, OH and PA. I didn't hear from them at all during the entire 3 week process of getting the job and moving cross country, but when I get here the phone starts ringing...

Things are great.... and while my friends in Georgia are enjoying their 90 degree day, I'm getting ready to head to the ballpark to see the Mariners. It's a sunny, breezy 72 here.

Gotta love the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 02:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,216 times
We're looking at moving just a few hours away and it's been a hassle.

We've done it before but NEVER had a job before going somewhere. This place we are in now, well, my husband got a job and we moved, and it sucks because he got fired.

Other jobs HE chose to give up but here, what a disappointment.

So we are moving again. Somewhere. But we will probably stay in our state because after looking at states south and north of here, my husband has only had a few screening calls.

If we stay in our state, he can still get unemployment so we can have some money until we get jobs.

The risk is the cost of moving because we haven't had any luck in this part of the state. Better to try than be stuck somewhere.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
If they could have hired someone locally they wouldn't have offered me the job and said "We've been looking for someone for months!"

At any rate, they didn't offer relocation but I honestly didn't care... When I heard the "If you can make it out here the job is yours" that was good enough for me. I borrowed $4,000 from my parents, sold off the majority of my household goods and drove across the country with a car full of clothes and electronics. The trip cost me $950 in food and gas, I used the remainder of the funds to get settled into a place and start the job with a financial cushion in the bank.

It's been a year on the job now and things are great... I've replaced what I sold off (washer/dryer, etc..) and paid my parents back.

What can I say... I was sick of unemployment. I don't regret the decision at all. Washington is a much better place to live... a better job market, better climate and lots more to do than southeast Georgia.
I'm glad it worked out for you, but I wasn't talking about your specific situation.

When my husband applied for a job out of state, he got a call from HR basically saying "we like your qualifications, but we aren't offering a relo package with this position." We're lucky they called, but in some cases they don't. In the end he got hired, and they paid for our move, but I can see how it could easily have gone the other direction, and we wouldn't have even been called, especially in the current job market.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm glad it worked out for you, but I wasn't talking about your specific situation.

When my husband applied for a job out of state, he got a call from HR basically saying "we like your qualifications, but we aren't offering a relo package with this position." We're lucky they called, but in some cases they don't. In the end he got hired, and they paid for our move, but I can see how it could easily have gone the other direction, and we wouldn't have even been called, especially in the current job market.
Glad it worked out for you too. Grats on the paid relocation... I didn't get that but I don't care. Family came through for me with my moving expenses without too much trouble... Mom asked what I needed the money for and I said "a job."

She wired it the next day. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search