Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Also, sorry if this is your experience. But not everyone can relate. I know plenty of people who have gone permanent after being temporary employees. Maybe your work ethic has a lot to do with it. And your attitude. Same as randomdude's problem. Quit complaining and do the work or sit on your behind at home and watch Maury while continuing your usual unsuccessful methods. Good luck!
Here we go again, blaiming work ethic and the employee for everything.

Im sure you must know that, when I got out of college, I was with a company for 1.5 years as a temp, while the director exhausted every effort to create a job for me, and finally hired me on perm to replace someone else in another job function.

Guess the "poor work ethic" argument is gone. By the way, maybe its not "our poor work ethic", maybe its just you being far too willing to participate in the race to the bottom, and being grateful for that opportunity.

Some of us say "Gee, there is something wrong with someone with a degree they spent 40k on, working a temp job for $11 an hour, and having to live at home as a result in their late 20's early 30's, and something needs to be done about it on a macro level", while others of us say "Gee, thanks for the $11 an hour temp job and no benefits, either for doing a job Im completely overqualified for, or Im being severely underpaid to do! I am so happy to have this opportunity, and my parents will be so thrilled to have me at home for another 10 years......Oh, whats that you say, if I bust my ass for slave wages and no benefits for a length of time "to be named later", I'll have the "chance" of being hired on to a real job? Woopie, thanks sir, that is SO generous of you. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I am testing your manhood. But I am actually a woman. And most of my temp jobs have had the opportunity to go permanent with a higher salary, but I have just chosen to wait for the right opportunity (which this is). My mentor has opened the doors up for me tremendously, so I will not sit on this opportunity to grow with an excellent company.
95% of temps have gone permanent with McGraw Hill divisions since they are only referred to the agency with no outside candidates. Proven statistics with the Kelly Services office located in the McGraw Hill building. Where I work.

Your opinion and the people who choose to sit at home will not change anything. Just an FYI. If you won't take the temporary position, then someone else will.

Also, sorry if this is your experience. But not everyone can relate. I know plenty of people who have gone permanent after being temporary employees. Maybe your work ethic has a lot to do with it. And your attitude. Same as randomdude's problem. Quit complaining and do the work or sit on your behind at home and watch Maury while continuing your usual unsuccessful methods. Good luck!
I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I stated that I worked harder than the permanent members of staff. I did the work (and beyond). I'm sure I'm not the only one who got exploited in that way. Never again will I work for a temp agency, unless it's a genuine temp to perm.

Perhaps people in general should stop taking it up the ass without lubricant and staying silent, just my opinion. That's the problem with a lot of Americans - so afraid of the government, without realising that the government is not the real (or sole) enemy. You have my deepest sympathies for succumbing to the perpetual brainwashing that goes on in this country. Thankfully, many Americans can think outside the box and will not tolerate being taken advantage of.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Here we go again, blaiming work ethic and the employee for everything.

Im sure you must know that, when I got out of college, I was with a company for 1.5 years as a temp, while the director exhausted every effort to create a job for me, and finally hired me on perm to replace someone else in another job function.

Guess the "poor work ethic" argument is gone. By the way, maybe its not "our poor work ethic", maybe its just you being far too willing to participate in the race to the bottom, and being grateful for that opportunity.

Some of us say "Gee, there is something wrong with someone with a degree they spent 40k on, working a temp job for $11 an hour, and having to live at home as a result in their late 20's early 30's, and something needs to be done about it on a macro level", while others of us say "Gee, thanks for the $11 an hour temp job and no benefits, either for doing a job Im completely overqualified for, or Im being severely underpaid to do! I am so happy to have this opportunity, and my parents will be so thrilled to have me at home for another 10 years......Oh, whats that you say, if I bust my ass for slave wages and no benefits for a length of time "to be named later", I'll have the "chance" of being hired on to a real job? Woopie, thanks sir, that is SO generous of you. "
First off I was talking to dragonborn. And second off, that is the risk I will just have to take. Working during the day and job searching in the evening when I get home. Equally beneficial to keep my mind working on a daily basis.

Also, please explain your opinions on this thread where you stated this interesting fact: "the AVERAGE (not median) MALE bachelors degree holder doesnt crack 50k until about 32-34 years old" on this page

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ealize-14.html

Please shed some light. Because even though I am temporary. My $20 per hour equates to approximately that amount. Maybe a little less. And I am a woman who is 26 years per old. I work overtime on a daily basis (40 hours per week), which increases my rate to $30 per hour (for overtime). Based on your "findings" for a years of "experience" I think I am on track.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I stated that I worked harder than the permanent members of staff. I did the work (and beyond). I'm sure I'm not the only one who got exploited in that way. Never again will I work for a temp agency, unless it's a genuine temp to perm.

Perhaps people in general should stop taking it up the ass without lubricant and staying silent, just my opinion.
Why don't you take your own advice?

And I have no sympathy for people who have one bad experience and cast judgement on other agencies that may actually help instead of hinder them. How ignorant.

It's been fun. My break is over. I've got to get back to work earning my "slave" wages.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
First off I was talking to dragonborn. And second off, that is the risk I will just have to take. Working during the day and job searching in the evening when I get home. Equally beneficial to keep my mind working on a daily basis.

Also, please explain your opinions on this thread where you stated this interesting fact: "the AVERAGE (not median) MALE bachelors degree holder doesnt crack 50k until about 32-34 years old" on this page

Please shed some light. Because even though I am temporary. My $20 per hour equates to approximately that amount. Maybe a little less. And I am a woman who is 26 years per old. I work overtime on a daily basis (40 hours per week), which increases my rate to $30 per hour (for overtime). Based on your "findings" for a years of "experience" I think I am on track.
I saw your post.

If you are on $20 an hour, you are not making anywhere near $50k. Factor in that you don't get benefits or paid time off and you can slash whatever you earn by 25%, especially if you get sick.

Clearly you are smart and clearly, you deserve a proper career with a company that will honour your achievements by giving you a permanent job, complete with benefits and paid time off. Don't short change or undersell yourself. You are better than that.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Why don't you take your own advice?

And I have no sympathy for people who have one bad experience and cast judgement on other agencies that may actually help instead of hinder them. How ignorant.

It's been fun. My break is over. I've got to get back to work earning my "slave" wages.
I took my own advice...I walked. End of story

Agencies exist to make a profit, profiteering from the current state of the economy in that employers are reluctant to hire permanent members of staff, so they use (and abuse) temps.

See the wood for the trees.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
A. You mentioned my name
B. Even if you didnt mention my name, that doesnt mean I dont have general comment

Quote:

You work in MANHATTAN. You work in one of the highest dollar paying cities in the country, if not the highest, and you are only "on track" to hit the average, assuming that you do find permanent employment, and dont get laid off one or more times between now and 34.

How can you not come to the conclusion that you are being completely screwed over? Do me a favor, go to the NYC page, and check out lower level jobs with the city government. Your pay is less than semi skilled workers with less than 5 years experience. Almost anything requiring a degree is well over 50k a year.

And if you do realize you are being screwed, I cant imagine how you arent outraged by it. Hell, Im outraged for you!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
They don't personally care about you or whether you ever get hired. IMHO, employment/staffing agencies have NEVER existed for for the benefit of people who are unemployed. We don't pay their bills, the client does.
You have to go with a staffing agent that works for you and not the employer. These agents use their network to find jobs that suits the individuals needs, rather than the other way around. I feel that this is infinitely better.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I saw your post.

If you are on $20 an hour, you are not making anywhere near $50k. Factor in that you don't get benefits or paid time off and you can slash whatever you earn by 25%, especially if you get sick.

Clearly you are smart and clearly, you deserve a proper career with a company that will honour your achievements by giving you a permanent job, complete with benefits and paid time off. Don't short change or undersell yourself. You are better than that.
Unfortunately, I do agree with you on this. You're absolutely right. I do want all of those things. I'm very envious of those I work with. But the job I am working now will be more than UI.

It's quite unfair. I do the grunt work for the Analysts and Associates here at S&P. BUT, I also get to build a network and HOPE for the best at the end of my assignment.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have to go with a staffing agent that works for you and not the employer. These agents use their network to find jobs that suits the individuals needs, rather than the other way around. I feel that this is infinitely better.

The staffing agent works for themself first. If that means taking your side, or the employers side on a case by case basis, thats what it means.

Most of the time it actually means screwing you and the employer simutaneously. They sell the employer on astronomical rates, and hiring employees they really dont need, and then low ball you on the wage they pay you.

Its always beneficial to have an ideal match between agency and employee, because the employee stays longer, the company pays longer (and might end up shelling out that huge finders fee), and the staffing agency makes out.

However, at the end of the day, you are just labor hours to them, and if they have to push a candidate in to a bad fit, they really dont have a problem with that, they are professional salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search