Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
He's not stupid though. Why should a company profiteer from paying him or others in his position a wage that doesn't allow him to live? Anyone who works full time deserves a living wage, end of story.
When his EUC runs out he can let us know what is better... the $11 hr job he turned down in February or $0 an hr.

Enjoy these last 6 months of federal extensions because they are being phased out... 12/29/2012 will probably be the end of EUC and everyone will be back to the standard 26 week state benefits ... and in some states less than 26 weeks.

The unemployed are gonna have to lower their standards because the 99 week ride will soon come to a screetching halt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I work in Manhattan. So if you're okay with the dreaded commute thats where the money is! I do it everyday. But its worth it.
$20 an hour in Manhattan is a joke. You realize that right? Its like making like $13 an hour "down south".

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
$20 an hour in Manhattan is a joke. You realize that right? Its like making like $13 an hour "down south".
Since you don't live or work there you're hardly in a position to comment. What works for the poster may not work for you but hardly reason to look down your nose.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Since you don't live or work there and the poster you're talking to does you're hardly in a position to comment.
I dont need to live there, they have dozens of cost of living and wage/salary comparison calculators available online.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney

Heres one right here. $13 an hour in Mobile, AL, is equivalent to $30.87 an hour in Manhattan. In my "great city" of Norfolk, VA, one of the most overpriced metros of the south, $13 is equivalent to $26.97 an hour in Manhattan.

Mod cut: Personal attack.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-02-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
When his EUC runs out he can let us know what is better... the $11 hr job he turned down in February or $0 an hr.

Enjoy these last 6 months of federal extensions because they are being phased out... 12/29/2012 will probably be the end of EUC and everyone will be back to the standard 26 week state benefits ... and in some states less than 26 weeks.

The unemployed are gonna have to lower their standards because the 99 week ride will soon come to a screetching halt.
99-week ride? Really? Yeah, because having your salary effectively cut in half on unemployment and knowing you'll get nothing in several months is a real "ride." Contrary to what certain people believe around here, the unemployed are doing whatever they can to find work, but very few places are hiring.

Oh, but that's okay - surely every unemployed person can just get a job at Wal-mart, because they are always hiring, right? Hahaha... wow... Yep, when we're all working 10-hours a week for $10 an hour, it'll all be great... Geez...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Since you don't live or work there you're hardly in a position to comment. What works for the poster may not work for you but hardly reason to look down your nose.

It has nothing to do with "looking down my nose". If Im reading the context of what the poster is saying, they are sort of "bragging" about making $20 an hour in Manhattan as temp.

I think its extremely important to put that in context. They are being just as abused or even more so then every other temp on the planet, since what they are making probably comes out to about $11 an hour in a normally priced metro area.

For comparison, even low end city construction workers and sanitation workers with just a couple years experience make more then that.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
99-week ride? Really? Yeah, because having your salary effectively cut in half on unemployment and knowing you'll get nothing in several months is a real "ride." Contrary to what certain people believe around here, the unemployed are doing whatever they can to find work, but very few places are hiring.

Oh, but that's okay - surely every unemployed person can just get a job at Wal-mart, because they are always hiring, right? Hahaha... wow... Yep, when we're all working 10-hours a week for $10 an hour, it'll all be great... Geez...
You have to love people who promote the race to the bottom.

Instead of fighting for ways for us all to enjoy the standard of living we as workers have generated for our economy, we instead will promote more of the money going to the Banksters and CEOs, while more of us "lower our expectations".

Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

I'm referring to the unemployed who are turning down work waiting on that "dream job" because they still have months and months of unemployment left.

Soon, the job standards will be lowered because it will be back to the 26 weeks of state benefits instead of 79/99 weeks and the holding out for the perfect job won't be an option.

I'm not talking about the unemployed who are looking for work every day... I've been there and done that myself. I'm talking about the unemployed who spend 15 minutes a week doing an online job search to satisfy the job search requirements and then spend the rest of their time staying up all night playing Xbox.

Now back to the original topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I'm a temp and I make $20 per hour.
I did too as a temp with Aerotek... now making $24 as a permanent employee. Not too bad for a gravy job that gives me a steady diet of OT each week as well as monthly bonuses from $300-$600, 401k, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week sick time, profit sharing and medical/dental.

http://www.aerotek.com/

The employment agency worked for me.

Last edited by TRC2k11; 05-30-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I'm referring to the unemployed who are turning down work waiting on that "dream job" because they still have months and months of unemployment left.

Soon, the job standards will be lowered because it will be back to the 26 weeks of state benefits instead of 79/99 weeks and the holding out for the perfect job won't be an option.

I'm not talking about the unemployed who are looking for work every day... I've been there and done that myself. I'm talking about the unemployed who spend 15 minutes a week doing an online job search to satisfy the job search requirements and then spend the rest of their time staying up all night playing Xbox.

Now back to the original topic...

I did too as a temp with Aerotek... now making $24 as a permanent employee. Not too bad for a gravy job that gives me a steady diet of 20-30 hours of OT each week as well as monthly bonuses from $300-$600, 401k, profit sharing and medical/dental.

Aerotek Staffing Agency: Industry Leading Recruiting and Staffing Services

The employment agency worked for me.
Why do I get the impression that you work for Aerotek? I've seen more bad reviews about that particular agency than good.

I don't think that the unemployed are looking for a "dream job" - they just want to be able to work for a living and get paid enough to live, without having to share a room or move back with parents (which isn't an option for everyone BTW).

You can't live on $11 an hour in most places. It doesn't make economic sense for an unemployed person collecting UI and not having to incur travel costs to take a job like that.

People deserve a living wage.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You have to love people who promote the race to the bottom.

Instead of fighting for ways for us all to enjoy the standard of living we as workers have generated for our economy, we instead will promote more of the money going to the Banksters and CEOs, while more of us "lower our expectations".
Thank you. I'm glad that some of us think outside the box. Let's switch the blame from the victims to the actual perpetrators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search