Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM

382 posts, read 803,769 times

Advertisements

One more thing...money should be discussed once all experience and skills are put on the table.
A, B, C, D, E, etc is the way to live. Not, A, T, F, B, etc. Things have to go in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Many just e-mailed me asking how much they were going to get paid.
It's funny when employers expect applications, resumes, cover letters, extensive and oftentimes invasive interviews, background checks, social security numbers, credit checks, and 50+ hour weeks but when a prospective employee asks about compensation they get outraged and offended.

If, as an employer, you are not proud to talk about your compensation and benefits structure, you are not going to be a great company to work for. The best companies put as much effort into selling themselves as the interviewers do.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
I was also looking for somebody to think "outside the box". Hiring somebody to come to work at 9 and leave at 5, wasn't what I was looking for. I needed an interior designer who had a client list and was able to generate more clients on her own. Which would compliment my aspect of the deal. In other words, I own a home improvement company. By her finding people looking to re-design, would in turn provide me with work. Painting, detail cleaning, etc. The second I told MOST people this, they got turned off and pretty much left the interview. The people that were interested were hired. Have you, this was two years ago. I still haven't gotten any leads. By them finding clients, they would get a percentage of the job or vice versa. People didn't want to go the extra step.

So, you were running a pyramid scheme, and calling it a job (much the same as a financial advisor), and wondered why you couldnt get a quality candidate?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
One of my favorites was a woman who came in to fill out an application for a lunchtime cook in my place where the kitchen was open to the bar area via a serving station. As she sat at the bar completing the application I went back into the kitchen to give her some space and time and kept hearing these dreadful honking noises. Great big guttural snorting honks every minute. I've been around some pretty big pigs in my time but not one of those four footers could put a candle to this woman's racket. What a lovely accompaniment to one's lunch! And no I didn't hire her ...

Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
A few years ago I was looking for an interior designer for my business. I should've saved some of the resumes. One person had a different job every month of the year. One lady brought her crying kid. Two were late. Many just e-mailed me asking how much they were going to get paid. Some of you wonder why you haven't been hired...
Maybe my little tale will shed some light on the situation.
How's that business doing these days?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
One more thing...money should be discussed once all experience and skills are put on the table.
A, B, C, D, E, etc is the way to live. Not, A, T, F, B, etc. Things have to go in order.
I agree A comes before B and C comes after B. But isn't that what the resume is for? The resume (if its decent) should give you a general idea of how much your going to be willing to pay for this person. Obviously, you will always offer a lower price than what your max is. BUT, I think that an experienced person who may be interested in an interview will have a general idea of how much your job is worth prior to laying out what THEY have to offer. If you are offering them something that is half of what they feel they need to make, they can just walk away. If you feel uncomfortable giving out a number prior to knowing their work experience and skills (even though the resume should be enough), then offer a range at least. Don't deny an application because you want the interview first. Your only hurting yourself.

Judging by your post about what the job is, I can only assume you are skating around the pay range because it is too low of a "base". It appears as though its based on performance and/or commission based. Which in my mind most always screams SCAM. If you were offering a fair job at a fair price, you would have no problem hiring somebody. Its either that or you really suck at recruiting. I would analyze what YOU may be doing wrong, offer more money, or stop judging applicants who are interested in pay prior to accepting an interview. Be honest with them, and yourself.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So... because you ran into a few losers, all the unemployed deserve their fate.
And this forum needs yet another thread in which to flog this dead horse, to boot.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM

137 posts, read 266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do nothing of the sort. As someone mentioned in another thread, I come in to sell; hoping that the company wants to buy.

I am very professional, show up 10 minutes early, never ask about the salary and have held jobs for years.

Stop stereotyping and accept reality that this economy blows chunks.
The average duration of unemployment is 6 months now. How long have you been out of work? If shorter, you're out of luck, if significantly longer, you're doing something wrong.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
The average duration of unemployment is 6 months now. How long have you been out of work? If shorter, you're out of luck, if significantly longer, you're doing something wrong.
I'm not unemployed. I'm UNDERemployed.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
I was also looking for somebody to think "outside the box". Hiring somebody to come to work at 9 and leave at 5, wasn't what I was looking for. I needed an interior designer who had a client list and was able to generate more clients on her own. Which would compliment my aspect of the deal. In other words, I own a home improvement company. By her finding people looking to re-design, would in turn provide me with work. Painting, detail cleaning, etc. The second I told MOST people this, they got turned off and pretty much left the interview. The people that were interested were hired. Have you, this was two years ago. I still haven't gotten any leads. By them finding clients, they would get a percentage of the job or vice versa. People didn't want to go the extra step.
Sounds to me like you were looking for someone to help prop up your own failing/declining business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search