Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,714 times

Advertisements

Looking for a list of the best temp/staffing agencies.
I am looking for long term (30-90+ temp to hire) jobs.

I have an MA in Geography and would prefer work doing data research/analysis (in particular with Geography) but if not anything using such skills. My original goal was to work for the government.

Then again, any good agency which could place me at a good company with the opportunity to grow into career would be fine. Just not looking to be placed in a permanent secretary role.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Almost 8 hours later and no answer.

So many people say to use a temp agency but no one seems to be able to tell you which ones to use.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Just saw this one. And honestly, it is tough to say which one is the best, as a company or in this case a staffing agency, are only as good as the people in them. I say find a good recruiter and work with that person. No matter how "good" the firm, if they never call you and don't respond to emails, they are terrible. No matter how "awful" the agency, if the recruiter is sending you out to jobs, it is a good one.

Also, it is important to remember that job requisitions are often sent to more than one agency, unless the company works with them exclusively.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
I got my job ($24/hr... lots of OT... medical... dental... 401k.... monthly bonuses from $300-$600... 120 hrs vac... 40 hrs sick... profit sharing) via Aerotek.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I got my job ($24/hr... lots of OT... medical... dental... 401k.... monthly bonuses from $300-$600... 120 hrs vac... 40 hrs sick... profit sharing) via Aerotek.
This was kind of my point. You got your job through Aerotek. You had a good experience with them as you got hired. Someone else who didn't find a job would have terrible things to say about them. It really is more of an individual thing. As far as I know, there isn't one that has the reputation of WalMart in the staffing agency world.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
This was kind of my point. You got your job through Aerotek. You had a good experience with them as you got hired. Someone else who didn't find a job would have terrible things to say about them. It really is more of an individual thing. As far as I know, there isn't one that has the reputation of WalMart in the staffing agency world.
Yeah... a guy yesterday said he thought I worked for Aerotek... LOL

Uhhh... I also drive a Chrysler and it's been the best car I've ever owned, but I don't work for Chrysler.

Yeah I have good things to say about Aerotek because it was a painless experience. I only met the recruiter once (the day after I arrived in Washington) and never again. All my paperwork was done via email, I got paid direct deposit, and when I got hired with the client all I did was fill out a new direct deposit form.

The nightmare stories you read about temp services didn't happen with me. I did everything over the phone and email... and as said, only had one face to face contact with the recruiter the entire 5 months I was an employee.

They made my coast to coast move for a new job pretty easy.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Yeah... a guy yesterday said he thought I worked for Aerotek... LOL

Uhhh... I also drive a Chrysler and it's been the best car I've ever owned, but I don't work for Chrysler.

Yeah I have good things to say about Aerotek because it was a painless experience. I only met the recruiter once (the day after I arrived in Washington) and never again. All my paperwork was done via email, I got paid direct deposit, and when I got hired with the client all I did was fill out a new direct deposit form.

The nightmare stories you read about temp services didn't happen with me. I did everything over the phone and email... and as said, only had one face to face contact with the recruiter the entire 5 months I was an employee.

They made my coast to coast move for a new job pretty easy.
Wasn't trying to say your good things to say are misplaced. Sorry if you took it that way (I can't totally tell through your post).

The point I was making is that staffing agencies aren't really "best" and "worst" rather they will work for you or they won't. So asking someone to say what the best one is can be tough, as it is so experienced based. If I get hired through one, or if I work for one, I will often have opinions based solely on personal experience which doesn't totally translate to the experience of others.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Wasn't trying to say your good things to say are misplaced. Sorry if you took it that way (I can't totally tell through your post).
Nah it's all good.

I am grateful to Aerotek for one reason... they got my foot in the door here. I didn't have benefits, I didn't get paid for holidays, and I got to watch as the permanent employees said "Oh man, my bonus this month was $500!" I had 5 months of that before I got hired and started getting my own slice of the pie.

To me temp agencies are good for one thing... getting your foot in the door.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
It depends on your field. I work in Finance so I don't think the agencies I have used in the past would be beneficial.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
If you have analytical skills in a more business sense you could try Veritude in your area. They hire for Fidelity Investments if I recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search