Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times

Advertisements

Just remember their agenda is not your agenda. Expect the call backs to be very slow in many cases.

Meanwhile, you MAY make it to the screening interview. All for the chance to earn 1982 wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
The goal is not about hiring people. The goal is to keep HR busy (so they stay employed) and provide the illusion of a healthy company that is "expanding" because it's interviewing people. Now, none of those people will get jobs, but who cares?! We need to keep people thinking about "The Recovery" and how the unemployed are lazy for not "getting jobs."

Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,233 times
Ya, I miss the old days of walking into a place, talking to the manager or owner, and walking out with a job the same day...

Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Just remember their agenda is not your agenda. Expect the call backs to be very slow in many cases.

Meanwhile, you MAY make it to the screening interview. All for the chance to earn 1982 wages.
Ok so it's not just me. I've been here thinking, "Why the hell do you have this job open for so long and don't even bother interviewing!?"

I was told, by people who worked in a place in the past that I applied for recently, that it took them three months to hear anything.

WTH!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Employers can afford to be picky, if they don't get people they feel can do the job they will wait for more applicants to look at. That's just the way it is now with so many people out of work they just don't have to "settle". Add to that the 2nd or even 3rd interviews to narrow it down and get a lot more information to make the best possible decision. It's simply good business, hut not possible back when qualified workers were harder to come by and they had to try and poach them from competitors with lures like huge salaries and workplace amenities.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The goal is not about hiring people. The goal is to keep HR busy (so they stay employed) and provide the illusion of a healthy company that is "expanding" because it's interviewing people. Now, none of those people will get jobs, but who cares?! We need to keep people thinking about "The Recovery" and how the unemployed are lazy for not "getting jobs."
I've learned that most companies are required to post the job online and they MUST interview the most qualified candidates, even if only a handful, although they are filling the position internally. It's required by law that they do this.

If you don't have a connection for that job, you most likely aren't going to get it.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Employers can afford to be picky, if they don't get people they feel can do the job they will wait for more applicants to look at. That's just the way it is now with so many people out of work they just don't have to "settle". Add to that the 2nd or even 3rd interviews to narrow it down and get a lot more information to make the best possible decision. It's simply good business, hut not possible back when qualified workers were harder to come by and they had to try and poach them from competitors with lures like huge salaries and workplace amenities.

True. What is fascinating is few people job-hunting realize an atmostphere terrific for job growth would most benefit potential employees. This overabundence of supply harms potential employees. Nothing cracks me up more than the snarky comments from "job seekers" railing against improving business conditions nationally, versus regulating them to death.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I've learned that most companies are required to post the job online and they MUST interview the most qualified candidates, even if only a handful, although they are filling the position internally. It's required by law that they do this.

If you don't have a connection for that job, you most likely aren't going to get it.
Thats exactly how hiring within the federal government works. The federal gov't posts want-ad's for jobs that have already been filled internally. This is a huge part of what creates the illusion of DC having the nation's best job market.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 AM

24 posts, read 42,280 times
The hiring process is an expensive and lengthy process. Getting the right person for the job and one that is committed to it is what any employer looks for.

I don't care if you're overqualified for the job but if you're only willing to work for 3 months or if you're actively looking for a job while working for my company, then I'm not going to hire you. The cost of training someone is just too much.

That's why I always recommend to people to look for a job that they would enjoy and would make a career out of.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 AM

97 posts, read 265,705 times
Jobs are posted online to meet quotas and required by law... as others have stated..

In addition... meets the requirement to "proactively seeking out a diverse workforce" to meet Equal Opportunity Employment laws.. etc.. (false illusion of course, since the jobs are already filled, or they have a candidate in mind that they are going to hire).

It meets Affirmative Action laws as well (if those laws apply to their company).

Thus the illusion is presented that these companies are "really" trying to diversify their candidate pool to choose the best qualified (even though its not realistic)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search