Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think seeing 25 applicants for a job is that unusual, particularly now with internet job search.
People are just looking at 20k number. I think that is actually pretty low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
In good times you would expect 10 applicants per opening. For a well-known firm such as Hyundai a bit higher. So although it indicates hard times, maybe not as bad as you think.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
It's still pretty bad.

Think of it this way: a large hiring spree in this nation over the past months is about 900 jobs. A large layoff is 27,000 jobs (HP.)

Long story short: we're not going to recover at this rate, and there are nowhere near enough jobs for everyone. Sorry, but an economy where only the top few percent of the unemployed have any hope of working again is a dead one.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
In good times you would expect 10 applicants per opening. For a well-known firm such as Hyundai a bit higher. So although it indicates hard times, maybe not as bad as you think.
Should be many from other states applying as well who need jobs.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Should be many from other states applying as well who need jobs.
That's really not the sign of a good economy, if people can't find any work in their own state... also, there's a strong chance that out of state applicants will be junked automatically unless they have connections or extremely unique skills, so yeah... definitely not an indication of a healthy economy.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
That's really not the sign of a good economy, if people can't find any work in their own state... also, there's a strong chance that out of state applicants will be junked automatically unless they have connections or extremely unique skills, so yeah... definitely not an indication of a healthy economy.
The point was these openings will draw more people from out of state to apply due to the news nationally about it.

Shocking with your attitude you are not happy with your career.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The point was these openings will draw more people from out of state to apply due to the news nationally about it.

Shocking with your attitude you are not happy with your career.
What I'm not happy about is the state of the nation's economy and how it's been led to ruin by an "I've got mine, so scr*w you!" mentality. Sad you have figured that one out yet.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Alabama is pretty dismal when it comes to hourly wages. If people are planning to flock to such a state for work, it certainly isn't an indication of things going great. More a sign of desperation, and a feverish hop, skip and a giant leap towards winning the race to the bottom. Surprising that one of the lowest wage states in the nation has such a dismal unemployment rate as well. As my grandfather has told me many times about Alabama... Great place to retire, terrible place to work. I love the deep south, but I could never work and live there.

Employers down there never seem to understand why they can't find the quality workers they need for the glorious wage of $12/hr, which is supposed to be some sort of privileged class wage. Yuck.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
What I'm not happy about is the state of the nation's economy and how it's been led to ruin by an "I've got mine, so scr*w you!" mentality. Sad you have figured that one out yet.
Exactly why war is being declared on public unions. If I can't have a middle class wage, a pension and decent benefits, then by golly, no one should! Never mind the guys at the top accumulating the bulk of the plunder. Keep subscribing to the Faux news agenda. Amazing how the conservative ideology has been hijacked by these economic terrorists.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Very little is different than it's been in the last 20 years. This is how the economy is recovering from a recession. It's fashionable to act like this is the beginning of the end as it helps many of those who aren't successful blame it on someone else.

I vote quite liberal so I don't help myself financially with my votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search