Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Michigan
29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Reputation: 22044

Advertisements

As of early last week, nearly 20,000 people have applied for the 877 new jobs that Montgomery’s Hyundai plant created to add a new production shift. And the applications are still coming.

“It just continues to grow,” said Scott Gordy of Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama’s human resources department.

Almost 20,000 job seekers apply to fill 877 Hyundai positions | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Reputation: 28520
Don't worry, stories like these will be a thing of the past once the fleet of robots are ready to take over this kind of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 AM
 
10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Reputation: 16780
Yep. And some places knowing the economy is the way it is.... that depending on the job, hundreds if not thousands will apply -- some companies still -- IMO -- jerk people around and post a job they already know will be filled from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: USA
7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Reputation: 12513
Ah, yes - "The Recovery" continues!

There are nowhere near enough jobs, and this isn't going to get better. Truthfully, I wonder how long these jobs will last as the nation continues deeper into a slow-moving Depression. Just remember that the 19,000 people who didn't get these jobs won't be buying any cars, either. Too bad, really - this plant was one of literally a handful of places in the nation that was hiring anyone in large numbers... or really hiring anyone at all.

With regard to robots taking over, if that ever does happen, I'll bet the robots won't be designed or built in this nation. That wouldn't be "profitable" enough?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Reputation: 28520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
With regard to robots taking over, if that ever does happen, I'll bet the robots won't be designed or built in this nation. That wouldn't be "profitable" enough?!
Judging by the lack of quality and workmanship in this country, they will undoubtedly be build in places like Germany or Japan, where engineering is an occupation and profession, not a crown to be worn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 AM
 
Location: USA
7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Reputation: 12513
Andywire: IMHO, there are plenty of good engineers in this nation... who are repeatedly marginalized by questionable "leaders" and then laid-off to cut costs... because we don't need engineers or any other working-class people to have a healthy economy, apparently! Many engineers here would love to remain in the profession, though that would be easier if we still had jobs and the companies hadn't outsourced them all or simply had 1 person doing the work of 3... Oh, well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Reputation: 16513
I just saw on the news last night that the Nissan Plant in Smyrna, TN is hiring. I "think" the news reader said they were hiring 1000 new workers but I can't be sure.

Last time they hired they did it on a "contract" basis for 11 dollars and hour however the news reader said they were hiring "full time" workers this time. I don't know if that means "full time contract" or employees.

This is for production of the new "Leaf" battery car. It's a "neat concept" however I do not know how well a car with a maximum range of 100 miles is going to sell. It would be great for an "in town run about" car but most people, when buying a car need it to be capable of extended drives. If you bought a "Leaf" you would have to buy a second car for trips. At over 20,000 dollars it would be expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM
 
382 posts, read 804,378 times
Reputation: 272
Who says everybody who applied is unemployed??? I live in New Jersey and am gainfully employed. However, the N.J. State Troopers are/were hiring and I applied just for f*$#s sake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Reputation: 28520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Andywire: IMHO, there are plenty of good engineers in this nation... who are repeatedly marginalized by questionable "leaders" and then laid-off to cut costs... because we don't need engineers or any other working-class people to have a healthy economy, apparently! Many engineers here would love to remain in the profession, though that would be easier if we still had jobs and the companies hadn't outsourced them all or simply had 1 person doing the work of 3... Oh, well!
Yes, there are good ones. I firmly believe that ANY entry level engineer should not start in a clean, cozy office. They should start the way they do in Germany and Japan. That means getting their pretty little hands dirty and BUILDING/MAKING/DOING. Only then does an engineer gain an intimate idea of what they are attempting to do for a career. The U.S. operated in this fashion for a long time, but for many, that is not the path to the engineering title anymore. And we wonder why our manufacturing sector left us

And I know the struggles that good engineers face. My brother is an engineer. The only reason he survived his companies layoff was because he had the 2 year technical degree, and his company figured he would be fine taking a paycut down to $13/hr while the big 3 floundered for a few years. Everyone with anything more was terminated immediately. Didn't matter how good you were, it was all about how little they could get you to work for.

Marginalization is also a big reason engineering quality has taken a hit in many companies. The idea that you can pay people less and expect the same level of quality is ludicrous. This is the direction many honest careers have followed, and it's basically turning our country into a Cracker Jack Walmart nation. We can't compete with China on price, and we can't match the quality of more qualified nations... That means this ship is going down I'm afraid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: On the edge of the universe
994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, there are good ones. I firmly believe that ANY entry level engineer should not start in a clean, cozy office. They should start the way they do in Germany and Japan. That means getting their pretty little hands dirty and BUILDING/MAKING/DOING. Only then does an engineer gain an intimate idea of what they are attempting to do for a career. The U.S. operated in this fashion for a long time, but for many, that is not the path to the engineering title anymore. And we wonder why our manufacturing sector left us

And I know the struggles that good engineers face. My brother is an engineer. The only reason he survived his companies layoff was because he had the 2 year technical degree, and his company figured he would be fine taking a paycut down to $13/hr while the big 3 floundered for a few years. Everyone with anything more was terminated immediately. Didn't matter how good you were, it was all about how little they could get you to work for.

Marginalization is also a big reason engineering quality has taken a hit in many companies. The idea that you can pay people less and expect the same level of quality is ludicrous. This is the direction many honest careers have followed, and it's basically turning our country into a Cracker Jack Walmart nation. We can't compete with China on price, and we can't match the quality of more qualified nations... That means this ship is going down I'm afraid...
I think the USA as a whole will probably fall apart before it goes down as one 'nation'; expect to see 50 or more countries as a result. Nevertheless, I think that most of those states will probably have a hard time given that most of the industrial capacity either was outsourced or never was present to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top