Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:55 PM

152 posts, read 493,135 times

Advertisements

People in my current and previous jobs will not stop bringing up my age and I go along with it, though sometimes it becomes irritating. They even make it a game sometimes and name things that happened in the past before I was born or too young to pay attention and remember. I feel like my little sister that no matter how old she gets, she'll always be my baby sister. I've always been the youngest and my co-workers tell me not to worry, that next year they'll hire new people out of college and I won't be the youngest, but it's been 3 years now and I guess because of the economy they're not hiring as much.

I'm going for a experienced position and don't want to appear young since the position, if accepted, will require me to manage a few people. I'm planning on wearing heals and bumping up the make-up, but other than that, I don't know how to look older. I don't want to look young because I feel like you're less likely to get a higher salary (I'm young and a woman, double whammy for salary) or be promoted to manage people no matter how good you are. People don't want to be managed by people who are younger than them.

I'm 23, so I'm not even that young in the first place. I'm expected to have a corporate job at my age, it's just that everyone I work with is above 30, most in their 40's. Where are all the people my age?

btw I still get carded and get mistaken for a minor (16-18 years old)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Put on 50 pounds, wear glasses, speak one octave lower than your normal voice, dye your roots gray, add some wrinkles to your face and hands, dress even more conservatively than you normally would, and use archaic terminology.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM

152 posts, read 493,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Put on 50 pounds, wear glasses, speak one octave lower than your normal voice, dye your roots gray, add some wrinkles to your face and hands, dress even more conservatively than you normally would, and use archaic terminology.
Haha! Actually over the weekend, I played around with my makeup to see if I could add some laugh lines and some subtle forehead wrinkles. The laugh lines were ok, but the forehead wrinkles looked awful!

It's unfortunate that appearance matters so much, when really your skills should be the only thing doing the talking.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
You are lucky...

In most places, the "old people" are shown the door when lay-offs hit. While companies want laughably narrow experience these days, they also don't want anyone older than around 30, which means you have a tiny window of time in which to get enough experience in the field in demand at the moment, and then get a job hopefully for life. If you're laid off after that, you're finished - you'll be considered "too old" to learn anything new.

All I'm saying is don't push it - better to be too young than too old in this twisted world that seems to have been inspired by Logan's Run.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,069 times
If you want to look older all you have to do is start drinking whiskey every single day and start smoking cigs. Over time you will age faster. Don't exercise. Eat bad unhealthy food. Bam, there you go. within a few years you will look older.

Still dont understand why you would want to look older...that is about the dumbest thing i have heard of.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM

another thing is that 23 is still very young. Especially for the working world. and you are expected to have some corporate job at 23? whoever heard of that. not me.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Yea at 30 you will be done. Absolutely done. If you can't make it by 30 your world is over. Hahaha.

Everyone is getting older no matter who they are. Enjoy the rest of your 20's and being "young" while you can...Cuz like i said at 30...put a fork in you...you are done, done, done. Might as well be dead. ha!

I hope you pick up on me being sarcastic here.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM

114 posts, read 214,268 times
I might say, instead of trying to look older, just be confident in who you are. I'd like to think that self confidence will take you farther in your job than simply looking older, but I couldn't know, I don't work where you do. I'd say, when people bark out the snarky comments about your age, rebuke it with admirable comments about yourself and your age but be calm mild mannered and don't antagonize, and don't put them down because of their age.

I'd advise against trying to look older, I'd definatly advise against using make up to add wrinkles or dying your hair grey. I fear that people will see right through that and best case scenario you'd end up being a laughing stock amongst you peers at work and worst case scenario, you end up missing out on that position you want because you might come off as a bit off.

I might suggest just trying to look professional and confident. Do that and people should think well of you reguardless of how young or old you look.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM

another thing to add here is that the "corporate" world isn't all it's cracked up to be. It actually mostly entirely is a load of crap and there are politics involved with which will soon know that you will not want to be involved in.

But be glad you are young now. Seriously.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Oh, and one more thing. Yea at 30 you will be done. Absolutely done. If you can't make it by 30 your world is over. Hahaha.

Everyone is getting older no matter who they are. Enjoy the rest of your 20's and being "young" while you can...Cuz like i said at 30...put a fork in you...you are done, done, done. Might as well be dead. ha!

I hope you pick up on me being sarcastic here.
I exaggerate a bit, but not much. I've been flat out told by companies that they want "engineers with experience, but not too much experience, if you know what I mean," and seen job descriptions with upper limits on experience, which is just another way of saying, "no old folks."

30 may be young to be considered "washed up" by corporate America, but there's a reason age discrimination laws exist. While they start at 40, it's not like a flip of a switch. By the time you're in your mid to late 30's, you're running out of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search