Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM

22 posts, read 62,075 times

Advertisements

Just a bit of a rant . . .

I'm an amazing interviewee. I guess that comes from my experience with unsuccessful interviews. I put effort into pre - research of interviews and I'm also amazingly calm in interviews too, which HR peoples usually like as it shows a sense of confidence.

In the first job I interviewed for, a qualified communications role, I made it to the top two, though they chose the other candidate for having more experience.

In the second job I recently interviewed for, I got my hopes amazingly high as the HR lady had to ask for my references and phoned me for them. This, according to my friends is a sign that you are the "chosen" one. My references are good, as I've used them to get other jobs before, so I have no doubt about that. Then they choose someone else. Urrrghh!! Bloody hopes!!!!! My partner doesn't understand my fustration every time I get rejected from companies that make me feel as if they want me to work for them, as he basically rolled into his positions. Its fustrating as, when it comes to jobs, it doesn't matter if your "second best" because even then you don't get the position. And its bloody annoying because in my region I can't intern anywhere because of funding reasons, so how can I get that experience which will get me a job?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Did your time ever come?

Feedback for my interviews has basically been: We liked how enthusiastic you are. You were very calm which was very great. We have saved your CV for future positions. We chose somone with a few years more experience. You answered all the questions with exactly what we were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma533 View Post
Just a bit of a rant . . .

I'm an amazing interviewee. I guess that comes from my experience with unsuccessful interviews. I put effort into pre - research of interviews and I'm also amazingly calm in interviews too, which HR peoples usually like as it shows a sense of confidence.

In the first job I interviewed for, a qualified communications role, I made it to the top two, though they chose the other candidate for having more experience.

In the second job I recently interviewed for, I got my hopes amazingly high as the HR lady had to ask for my references and phoned me for them. This, according to my friends is a sign that you are the "chosen" one. My references are good, as I've used them to get other jobs before, so I have no doubt about that. Then they choose someone else. Urrrghh!! Bloody hopes!!!!! My partner doesn't understand my fustration every time I get rejected from companies that make me feel as if they want me to work for them, as he basically rolled into his positions. Its fustrating as, when it comes to jobs, it doesn't matter if your "second best" because even then you don't get the position. And its bloody annoying because in my region I can't intern anywhere because of funding reasons, so how can I get that experience which will get me a job?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Did your time ever come?

Feedback for my interviews has basically been: We liked how enthusiastic you are. You were very calm which was very great. We have saved your CV for future positions. We chose somone with a few years more experience. You answered all the questions with exactly what we were looking for.
I've gotten two jobs where I was "sloppy seconds", because the winner had a bit more experience; but then another position came open and they called me back. It may work out for you after all.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've gotten two jobs where I was "sloppy seconds", because the winner had a bit more experience; but then another position came open and they called me back. It may work out for you after all.
I can assure you, that will not happen in this case. I live in a small town where jobs are scarce so I doubt the winning candidate would have found a better position

Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I feel ya man. I also feel like I interview extremely well, yet none of my dozens of interviews have yielded a job.

I have a VERY spotty employment history though. Lots of gaps in employment and several jobs where I just worked for a few months. When it comes down to it, there is always going to be another graduate with better employment history that the employer will prefer to hire.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Hang in there, practise makes perfect. I’ve only had four very formal interviews over the past half year of applying for experienced positions. Two others were very informal, both positions I picked up. The other one was an interview where one person interviewed lots of us, and that one went really well also. My first interview ever, which was last year was shocking. I was nervous and I felt a little bullied by the panel of two interviewing me. My second after that was okay, the good thing was I answered some of the questions very very well. That interview eventuated to a second job interview with the same firm and I was a little nervous, but that went well. I just keep getting better and better, though. In my last interview I wasn't even nervous and I’ve answered all the questions before that in my previous interviews so my answers are just automatic now, I don't even stutter answering the typical questions.

Anyhow. Moving on. . . I've potentially scheduled meeting with a CEO for a large firm for next week. Hopefully that will eventuate to a position . . . or at the very least another LinkedIn connection

I've started having fun with applying for jobs, using strange and quirky cover letters.

But I think all this rejection is helping me. It makes me more and more determined to get the next job, as I hate the feeling of someone taking away something that is obviously mine! : D But that’s okay too, I know HR people are just doing their jerb.

After even more interviews I can be experienced enough to apply for HR roles : P

Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's just a bad time, so may qualified people applying for every job means real competition. If you are coming out that close to the top you need to do something to overcome the lack of experience. Do real thorough research about the company you are interviewing with, and during the interview make sure to use facts and figures to show how knowledgeable you are about them, and make it very clear that you want to work for them. Often a person sounds like they are just looking for any job, hiring managers want someone that really wants to be there.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Never get your hopes up when they ask for references.

It sounds like you are a good candidate, however you always run into that person who has a little more. You will get to the point where you are the #1 guy. Some of it is just being in the right place at the right time.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
For me, it was always financial. I always required more than the positions paid. We want you, but.....we can't pay you what you are already making!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search