Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I agree about Portland. A friend of mine held out as long as she could but finally had to leave the area selling her condo on short sale. She was so bummed as she loved living there but the job market is terrible.
Yes, and if you read the article it's all conjecture and no facts.

Portland has never been a strong job market.

And FL lost over 6,000 high paying jobs with NASA shutting down, the 3,000 jobs they gained by Legoland opening doesn't exactly even things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
The list is BS just like every other "list" on the internet etc...

Orlando? Look up the unemployment? I believe they are still over 9%-and Portland Also, I think over 9%...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Just based on my experience here is what I have seen. If you use CareerBuilder to apply for a job, they will tell you how many other people have applied for the same job. So if I apply for a job in Boise (where I live) I have generally been one resume out of a hundred. When I apply for the same types of jobs in Phoenix (where my family & friends live, so looking to relocate back to AZ) my resume is one out of anywhere from 500 to 1000 resumes. My family in Phoenix tells me that they see a bunch of help wanted signs in restaurants and retail stores. So if I want to earn a third of what I did before, Phoenix would be an easy place to get a job.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thats flawed because Atlanta is still terrible.
I was going to agree with this. I lived there in 2010 and immediately moved.

Great city to party. Just not for the professionally inclined (unless you went to school there)

Very hard for networking also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Those cities are for non-skilled job searchers looking for hourly wages. Which is fine...
Yes. This data is definitely flawed and doesn't specifically say the type of jobs being offered.

Why isn't New York, NY on this list? Or Dallas, TX?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, and if you read the article it's all conjecture and no facts.

Portland has never been a strong job market.

And FL lost over 6,000 high paying jobs with NASA shutting down, the 3,000 jobs they gained by Legoland opening doesn't exactly even things out.
The final irony is that all of those rocket scientists would be "overqualified" to work at Legoland, even if that was the last choice available to them... What a "Recovery!"

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Orlando is the biggest joke of a city to work in, yet it ALWAYS ends up on lists like this because of all the low-wage tourist-sector service industry jobs. Even professional positions often pay less than the same position in another state. Employers in FL are known for "paying in sunshine".

I grew up in Orlando but left in 2006 and immediately increased my salary by about 40% for the same type of job.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Orlando is the biggest joke of a city to work in, yet it ALWAYS ends up on lists like this because of all the low-wage tourist-sector service industry jobs. Even professional positions often pay less than the same position in another state. Employers in FL are known for "paying in sunshine".

I grew up in Orlando but left in 2006 and immediately increased my salary by about 40% for the same type of job.

Couldn't have said it better-I also hope to leave Florida in the next 2 years once I finish school and my other half is finished with the CPA exam.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Williston, ND should be on that list. That is if you want to make 100K a year and have nowhere to live and nowhere to spend the money LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search