Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Absent something else that REALLY sets your snowflakeness apart from the other snowflakes... yeah.

Anecdotes about 1:10,000 serendipity notwithstanding...
unless and until you have a genuine commitment to the move...
with something resembling a date certain for arrival being the main qualifier...
and a reason OTHER THAN that particular job being the second qualifier...
you're completely wasting their time and your own.

Your plan to move to PHX meets the second qualifier...
but until you are at least in escrow on the house you can't meet the first.
Apologies Mr. Rational...but "WHAT"????? - Totally over my head with your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Depends on your line of work really, potential role within the organization and the hiring manager's preferences. I would imagine the more there is at stake for an employer (vital role high paying job) I think they are more likely to take the best person regardless of location.

There are a few ads that come out and tell you locals only or locals will get preference- that's code for we aren't paying relocation fees.

But think of it this way even if they are okay about opening a job to anyone- if two people are equal in the eyes of an employer and one is requesting relocation expenses- who wins? I think you obviously have to stand out and standing out when you have twice or three times the competition is hard to do.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM

131 posts, read 323,444 times
Wow, a lot of useless information here. Of course she isn't going to expect to be flown out for interviews. She already stated that she works a regular job, not a high profile one.

The easiest way to get a job out of state is to add a local address to your resume. A local phone number will help as well, Google Voice and even a prepaid cell phone with a local area code will do the trick. You are going to have to cash in your flyer miles or have a lot of cash on hand to make last minute trips.

Another way is to spend a month or two at the location, sign up for local temp agencies, job hunt so that when they call back for an interview, it would be easier to make it there.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
Wow, a lot of useless information here. Of course she isn't going to expect to be flown out for interviews. She already stated that she works a regular job, not a high profile one.

The easiest way to get a job out of state is to add a local address to your resume. A local phone number will help as well, Google Voice and even a prepaid cell phone with a local area code will do the trick. You are going to have to cash in your flyer miles or have a lot of cash on hand to make last minute trips.

Another way is to spend a month or two at the location, sign up for local temp agencies, job hunt so that when they call back for an interview, it would be easier to make it there.
Thanks Loops..- Never thought about just the prepaid cell phone with a local area code or Google Voice. Dont know anyone local to add a local address.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Add another "Yes, it can be done, but it's a lot harder" to the pile, it's even hard for most white-collar professions. My background is in GIS (basically categorized as IT and engineering). Eighty submissions and a year later, I am still looking... mostly in DC/NoVA/MD where I lived previously, but I keep an open mind to the few opportunities I've seen in NC and northern Illinois. My results so far?
  • One phone interview and one formal interview invite I had to turn down.
  • Two or three electronic application referrals, but nothing beyond that.
  • Back-and-forth email with a recruiter at a large multinational in NoVA that didn't pan out.
  • Phone interview for a municipal job in NoVA that went well, but never heard from them again.
  • Formal interview for a local opportunity; did not get offer.

I even stated in my cover letter for some of these that I'd be willing to incur relocation expenses.

Last edited by ASOT; 06-18-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
I overheard our HR manager say they don't usually care whether or not someone says they'll incur relocation expenses, because like most employers they stick with local candidates unless there aren't any. She once dealt with a candidate that requested a relocation package after stating in his letter he wouldn't need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
There are a few ads that come out and tell you locals only or locals will get preference- that's code for we aren't paying relocation fees.

But think of it this way even if they are okay about opening a job to anyone- if two people are equal in the eyes of an employer and one is requesting relocation expenses- who wins? I think you obviously have to stand out and standing out when you have twice or three times the competition is hard to do.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post

I live in a Software/Hospitality Market. There are plenty of small and large Corps. in my area that can't fill the void they have with local talent- hence a need to go outside. Your response dismisses local markets and their needs. You may not have to jump through the hoops you suggest depending on the factors I listed previously and also the simple fact that demand may be greater than the actual supply for a particular skill set- yes...even in this job market. I would suggest understanding the market and its needs if you plan to move to particular place especially if your skills are diverse and transfer to other jobs/roles/titles.

You suggest adding a local address- What if you are employed in another location? Its clever that you have a PO Box- but you work in another location. Nice first impression.

Haven't read the OPs original post but If you want to move and you have to work to support yourself not moving until you have secured employment in that new locale is probably the best advice you can give. Quitting a job and moving to temp is probably not your best move. This may take 6 months, 1 year or even 2 years.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM

160 posts, read 397,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Add another "Yes, it can be done, but it's a lot harder" to the pile, it's even hard for most white-collar professions. My background is in GIS (basically categorized as IT and engineering). Eighty submissions and a year later, I am still looking... mostly in DC/NoVA/MD where I lived previously, but I keep an open mind to the few opportunities I've seen in NC and northern Illinois. My results so far?
  • One phone interview and one formal interview invite I had to turn down.
  • Two or three electronic application referrals, but nothing beyond that.
  • Back-and-forth email with a recruiter at a large multinational in NoVA that didn't pan out.
  • Phone interview for a municipal job in NoVA that went well, but never heard from them again.
  • Formal interview for a local opportunity; did not get offer.

I even stated in my cover letter for some of these that I'd be willing to incur relocation expenses.
I'm applying in the same field and I'm surprised you haven't had more luck in that region. That's rough.

I'd be more than willing to move from Wisconsin (especially if it's a temporary or contract position), but I'm not sure how to convince HR departments of that.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM

131 posts, read 323,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Thanks Loops..- Never thought about just the prepaid cell phone with a local area code or Google Voice. Dont know anyone local to add a local address.
You dont have to know anyone...just put a local address in a good neighborhood (yes, employers discriminate based on where you live). Or you can purchase on of those PO box services with an address where you are trying to locate. Just do a search online.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Has anyone actually succeeded in applying for out-of-state employment and actually succeeded in obtaining the job?...And no not referring to "PROFESSIONALS", as in Lawyers, Doctors, CEO's, etc. Im actually referring to common jobs such as Administrative Professionals/Maunfacturing Jobs/Service Industry type jobs? The reason I ask is that Im trying to sell my home and relocate to another state but would like to secure employment before making the move...Im finding it almost impossible if you are in a "REGULAR" job, but if you are in a high profile position, most find a job with no problems. Thoughts?
I lied about my address, sort of ... My sister in law was working here at the time. I was living in West Virginia. I told the employer I would live with my sister in law until I found a place. I got the job, and this job only paid $11 an hour it was nothing extravagant. Honestly, if it's in the cards, you will get the job. If it isn't, well ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search