Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually succeeded in applying for out-of-state employment and actually succeeded in obtaining the job?...And no not referring to "PROFESSIONALS", as in Lawyers, Doctors, CEO's, etc. Im actually referring to common jobs such as Administrative Professionals/Maunfacturing Jobs/Service Industry type jobs? The reason I ask is that Im trying to sell my home and relocate to another state but would like to secure employment before making the move...Im finding it almost impossible if you are in a "REGULAR" job, but if you are in a high profile position, most find a job with no problems. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM

107 posts, read 204,814 times
The answer is yes and it should not matter what profession you are in. It can be done

Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM

134 posts, read 367,365 times
Generally unless you're within something like driving distance you're going to have a harder time going out of state. Companies take "professionals" from the outside because they can be hard to find in-state. A lot of the jobs you mentioned have thousands upon thousands of potential workers right there.

Also the interviewing could be an issue. No one is going to pay to fly a waitress out to interview, but it happens a lot for engineers, architects, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM

30 posts, read 64,078 times
I've been trying this since December. I too am looking for a "regular" job, and I have a great resume. The only thing holding me back is my distance, and I've been told this by employers. The best thing you do is move jobless, or lie about your address.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Has anyone actually succeeded in applying for out-of-state employment and actually succeeded in obtaining the job?...And no not referring to "PROFESSIONALS", as in Lawyers, Doctors, CEO's, etc. Im actually referring to common jobs such as Administrative Professionals/Maunfacturing Jobs/Service Industry type jobs? The reason I ask is that Im trying to sell my home and relocate to another state but would like to secure employment before making the move...Im finding it almost impossible if you are in a "REGULAR" job, but if you are in a high profile position, most find a job with no problems. Thoughts?
I got a service job at a credit union from out of state (live in Kentucky, job is in Virgnia.) The thing for me was that my new employer was one I worked for before moving to Kentucky. I was able to do both interviews over the phone and even signed most of the paperwork via email anne scanner. I have to go to VA this weekend to house hunt and to sign some clearance paperwork. For the record, I submitted over 250 applications for entry level work and only got 4 total calls and two total phone interviews.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 AM

67 posts, read 140,535 times
I never have. Though I do use different addresses on my resume for different locations. So I use my mother's address, father's address and my friend's address if I am applying for positions in those areas, as they are all very broadly spread. It usually doesn't matter as I could easily fly down for an interview and I have lived and worked in all of those locations before. So I reccommend doing the same.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Many(most?) places will not even consider a person from out of State because the failure rate is so high, after a few months maybe a year they get "homesick" and off they go, if you don't count the post college moves the failure rate is even higher, the greater the distance of the move the higher the failure rate too.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Wow..so basically what I am hearing is that all of my time being spent looking for employment in another state is not going to get me anywhere....."Bitter pill to swallow".

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Wow..so basically what I am hearing is that all of my time being spent looking for employment in another state is not going to get me anywhere....."Bitter pill to swallow".
It doesn't hurt to try, but the reality is that in this joke economy, *anything* can end an applicant's chances: being out of state, being unemployed, being "too old," and so on. There is no logic to most of it, but that's the way things are, unfortunately.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...all of my time being spent looking for employment in another state is not going to get me anywhere..?
Absent something else that REALLY sets your snowflakeness apart from the other snowflakes... yeah.

Anecdotes about 1:10,000 serendipity notwithstanding...
unless and until you have a genuine commitment to the move...
with something resembling a date certain for arrival being the main qualifier...
and a reason OTHER THAN that particular job being the second qualifier...
you're completely wasting their time and your own.

Your plan to move to PHX meets the second qualifier...
but until you are at least in escrow on the house you can't meet the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search