Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM

126 posts, read 429,350 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here with a quick question.

After interviewing with a company, the recruiter gave me a call this morning asking me to fill out a job application, which she later sent via email. I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?

A bit of back story...

I applied for the position back in April and, after no response other than an acknowledgement email, completely forgot about it. Graduated college in May and in June got a call from a recruiter. It had been so long after applying that I had to search my records to remember what I applied for. I had the interview June 7, which went well. Sent off my thank you cards same day and went back home to my PT job as a admin assistant to wait. Ten days go by without a word. I give up the job as dead and move on to apply for other opportunities. Then this morning, after sitting down at my desk for work, the recruiter contacts me, asking that I complete the company's job application (the initial application only required a CV and resume). I ask no questions. Just said ok, got a fax number and worked on the application when I got home (I'm sending it out tomorrow morning). So any idea what this could mean? I'm not reading deeply into this since I had already thought I was passed over, but I do think it odd, since the process usually goes application/resume--->interview--->decision.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Did you interview with just a recruiter, or with a hiring manager as well?

It typically goes

CV/Resume and/or job application ---> recruiter screen ---> hiring manager screen ---> group interview and/or technical interview ----> decision

at least that has been what I have experienced.

So you could have just had the recruiter screen and passed that, so they want some more information from you. I've had that happen before as well. Where I got interviewed by the recruiter and then was asked to fill out more information regarding my past experiences regarding several job activities.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM

I interviewed with one hiring manager plus a team member. The head manager was out of town on business. I've never met the recruiter, just spoke to her on the phone.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Perfectly normal.

The application is their legal contract, so in the event you provide disinformation to them, they can press charges against you. Some places do wait until they've hired you and then have you fill out an application.

That said, I would ask the recruiter directly did I get the job before filling out the application.

As the previous poster said, it could have just been a pre-screen to see if they wanted you in their system and now they want more of your personal information.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Super common, actually. They need an application on file from you as some point, but dealing with the first interviews before actually filing one out is normal. I have had times where I have filled out the application on the first day

Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Yep, we typically ask for the "official" application at the time of the in-person interview but it could definitely come afterwards. Primarily it's used to authorize the background check, but otherwise it's a formality. Everything during the interview process is done by CV/resume.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM

57 posts, read 252,604 times
Yep, typical. I usually get asked to fill out the app at the first or second interview. Like others have said, sometimes they need to have a file on you regardless.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM

44 posts, read 157,306 times
I think it depends on the company.

The job I have now, I submitted a resume, was screen a week later and invited in for a interview. I had no clue what to expect from the interview but I had to go through two recruiters and an area manager. After the third interview with the area manager she promptly asked me to fill out an application. Got a call a week later with a job offer.

So it could be a good thing...

But like I said, it depends on the company and their hiring process but I've never be asked to fill out an application after the interview but with the job I have now. I was asked for references once but I believe they were never called.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

UPDATE.

Here's what happened after. I spent Monday night filling out the application and faxed it to the recruiter Tuesday morning. An hour later, she gave me a call and said that XXXX (the manager who interviewed me) will be checking my references this week. I asked when I could expect to hear a decision. She said hopefully by the end of this week, but it could be early next week. I called/emailed all my references to give them a heads up. Now I wait.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
For my new job, I filled out the application after I verbally accepted the job offer. Mine was more for a background check purpose because I didnt list all my jobs on my resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search