Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times

Advertisements

The two times I was hired when I was unemployed (both because I had just moved halfway across the country), I started immediately. In one case, I was interviewed on Thursday afternoon and started on Friday morning. The other time, I got the call in the middle of the week, and I started the following Monday.

When I started new jobs after resigning from prior ones, it was a bit different. Due to the nature of the jobs I've had, I prefer to be able to give the employer I'm leaving a full month's notice, so that I can make sure that all my process manuals and notes are up to date, give my backups refresher training on all my job duties, and wind up any projects or unresolved issues before I leave. As a result, both times I changed jobs in the same city, I left my old job on Friday afternoon and started the new one on Monday morning, and both times, my starting date with my new employer was four to four and a half weeks after I accepted the offer.

I can see the attraction in taking a brief spell of down-time between jobs, but at least for me, I'd sooner not risk starting off on the wrong foot with my new employer by insisting on taking extra time before I start work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
I'm taking the summer off and traveling before I start my new job. The last time I started a new job I didn't take any time off, finished Friday at one and started Monday at the other. I don't reccomend that. I think it's important to take some time to clear your head and prepare yourself for the new position.
I like to take as much time as the employer can handle. 2 weeks for knowledge transfer and finish up, then at least 2 weeks vacation. Never had a company have a problem with that.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
I'm in the middle of this right now. I gave my old employer a month's notice, so I could finish up a couple major projects and have the minor ones ready for handoff as neatly as possible. I also wanted to leave on good terms. My new employer said he was actually impressed that I would give such notice, and I think that added to my cache as I make the switch. As it turns out, everything will be ready a bit quicker than I anticipated, so I will have a few days of time off in between.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
I just got a job offer a few days ago and was going through the same thing.

For me, the timeline was something like this:

Day 1 (Tuesday): Offered position pending results of background check, credit check, drug screening, etc.

Day 4 (Friday): Screening results back;all clear. Official Offer. Give notice to current employer.

Day 17 (Thursday): Will be my first day on the job (haven't started yet).

So for me it will be right at 2 weeks from being offered the job til the first day (new employee orientation). I could have possibly taken longer (I was asked how long I needed to give notice) but I really wanted to start sooner than later while still giving my current boss ample notice.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,839 times
Today will be 6 weeks from the offer for my brother. He received an offer, arrived to employer for background check 2 weeks later, and today is exactly 4 weeks since he submitted background paperwork. Some parts of background are clear, while others are still pending....... He was told not to give notice until he received green light on background. So, if he receives it, it would be about 2.5 months from the offer date - lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search