Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
There are tons of articles all over the Internet by writers, job experts and other self appointed know-it-alls that all requests for tax returns, paystubs or W2s are solely for the purpose of lowballing and discriminating.
I've never been asked for them at any job I've ever had in the past 30+ years, but this is good to know! It makes sense, for them anyway, to ask for this information, but it really is wrong and along with any passwords to social network accounts, my pay stubs, salary history, credit report and tax returns are none of their business. Unless I'm a bank teller, why would someone even NEED my credit report? I'm trying to get a job, not buy a car or get a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
We are living in terrible times. The economy S**KS. Employers are trying to see how much they can get away with. How much further they can exploit people. Each dog has to face the other one and stand up for itself.

Background checks also reveal other civil matters on the court docket that had a judgment. How is that the employer's business? Know what, I want to see the judgments against each person in the 2 years who has interviewed me and had the bolls to request a credit check not related to the job duties interviewed for.

Further, many people have foreclosure and other housing issues. What about something medical or a car accident, like some said on another thread. Another driver hit our interviewee. Why should the person be penalized for something that is not his/her fault? Life happens. We are not robots. Even robots break and malfunction, by the way.

These employers are doing credit checks and payroll financial prying for personal reasons. These intrusive fishing expeditions should be made illegal and actively sanctioned.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
We are living in terrible times. The economy S**KS. Employers are trying to see how much they can get away with. How much further they can exploit people. Each dog has to face the other one and stand up for itself.

Background checks also reveal other civil matters on the court docket that had a judgment. How is that the employer's business? Know what, I want to see the judgments against each person in the 2 years who has interviewed me and had the bolls to request a credit check not related to the job duties interviewed for.

Further, many people have foreclosure and other housing issues. What about something medical or a car accident, like some said on another thread. Another driver hit our interviewee. Why should the person be penalized for something that is not his/her fault? Life happens. We are not robots. Even robots break and malfunction, by the way.

These employers are doing credit checks and payroll financial prying for personal reasons. These intrusive fishing expeditions should be made illegal and actively sanctioned.
I agree and what happens if your credit is not 700+? You're scum and not worth the trouble??? The U.S. population is suppose to consist of people with high credit scores, no past due bills, no foreclosures and no repossessions? Sorry, not going to happen....ever.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
turn down the job and never do that again. there is a good chance that they know u r lying.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I agree and what happens if your credit is not 700+? You're scum and not worth the trouble??? The U.S. population is suppose to consist of people with high credit scores, no past due bills, no foreclosures and no repossessions? Sorry, not going to happen....ever.
LOL. And lately, some interviewers who've met with me looked and behaved like the creatures from The Island of Dr. Moreau. How about we do their credit check. 'Cos I just bet....that they're no saints either.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

It's basically their way of determining whether you are fit to work for the orgnaization. I'm not advocating or siding with the methodology. And you have every right to ask for the same thing (however unrealistic that is..). And you are right, its not personal - that's where the issue lies usually. The organization is trying to make an objective decision (however wrong we may find that tactic) - but we're the ones that is making it personal (I doubt the HR/Hiring managers are doing this to make fun of the applicant's credit/personal difficulties). If you don't like the tactics, don't work for them. Simple as that.

As for making it illegal - it comes down to each side trying to protect themselves. You can make this or that illegal - but in the end, the hiring companies will simply find another way to protect themselves. Which will ultimately make life even harder for job seekers - Imagine if an employer cannot ask any questions about their potential employees - what will that look like? Perhaps freelance/contract work - They have something that needs to be done, you get to submit a contract for what you'll do, and how you are qualified; and you only get paid if that work is done per the contract. And you have no guarantee of additional work after the fact. Does that sound like a better alternative?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

I have no problem with a potential employer asking questions, but there are certain things in my life that are off limits and my credit score is one of them. They're implying that a less than acceptable credit score will turn a good person into a thief.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I have no problem with a potential employer asking questions, but there are certain things in my life that are off limits and my credit score is one of them. They're implying that a less than acceptable credit score will turn a good person into a thief.
And you have every right to not work for those organizations or take a job that has that as a requirement.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
And you have every right to not work for those organizations or take a job that has that as a requirement.
In a company that deals with money (bank, credit union, etc.), yes, I can see that as being part of the background check, but a law firm? Insurance company? Hotel? Hospital? Why would someplace like that need to know that kind of private information on an employee?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
I've seen financial institutions and military contractors do credit checks (my husband even had to take a lie detector test once) but I've never heard of them requesting your pay stubs.

I have a feeling that this employer is just petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search