Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times

Advertisements

LOL I have a zero page resume. Only because I have no idea all of my previous work history. Call me an optimist but I expect every job to be "the one" so I never write down any info. I dont write down start dates, boss names, phone numbers, anything. So itd be hilarious to go to someplace to have them make a resume for me.

"Where did you work?"

"These places"

"When did you work there?"

"I dont really remember"

"What were your bosses names?"

"Sir"

"What did you do there?"

"What I was told to do"

"Are you eligible for rehire?"

"After 10-20 years does it matter?"

"What is your goal in writing this resume?"

"Obviously to find a job, any job, and start getting a paycheck again"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I recently trimmed my resume down to 1 page and got about the same response as my old 2 page resume. I feel like most people are too lazy to read, so the simpler the better. I just highlight the important points and my top 3 most impressive projects. So far so good I would say.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I recently trimmed my resume down to 1 page and got about the same response as my old 2 page resume. I feel like most people are too lazy to read, so the simpler the better. I just highlight the important points and my top 3 most impressive projects. So far so good I would say.
Some are too lazy to read because they ask me during the interview........."are you employed now"

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Some are too lazy to read because they ask me during the interview........."are you employed now"
I ask that...but only if I like the applicant. If I do not, I usually say "So, you are unemployed?" But asking if the person is working now is a more graceful way of allowing the applicant to tailor their response and say something like "No, I am in school" or however they want to direction the interview.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I ask that...but only if I like the applicant. If I do not, I usually say "So, you are unemployed?" But asking if the person is working now is a more graceful way of allowing the applicant to tailor their response and say something like "No, I am in school" or however they want to direction the interview.
When the recruiter asked me that over the phone I was didn't know what to say because it was so unexpected. All I said was "NO" instead of

"Well I'm not working now because the company I was working for closed down but I am glad I was able to develop presentation skills during my time there that i would like to use to be more involved in presentations at the TDD organization"

Damm shame I can't turn the clock back to March

Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM

My best advice, and I will gladly share anything I can think of with you...have a well rehearsed answer to the following questions:

1. Are you working now?
2. What have you been doing with your time if you are not working?
3. What was the worst thing about your previous job?

Have answers that show you are working toward something. And it honestly doesn't even need to be work related. I told my current employer that I spent my week looking for jobs and brushing up on my Excel skills. And I spent my weekends making sure to visit a museum or cultural center. it shows that you are not sitting at home getting sad and depressed.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
My best advice, and I will gladly share anything I can think of with you...have a well rehearsed answer to the following questions:

1. Are you working now?
2. What have you been doing with your time if you are not working?
3. What was the worst thing about your previous job?

Have answers that show you are working toward something. And it honestly doesn't even need to be work related. I told my current employer that I spent my week looking for jobs and brushing up on my Excel skills. And I spent my weekends making sure to visit a museum or cultural center. it shows that you are not sitting at home getting sad and depressed.

My answer to 3 is rehearsed because I been answering it the last 3 months when I'm alone

"The worst thing about my last job is that it closed down because i enjoyed working with my staff but I am happy I was able to gain marketing skills that I use in the job development department at the TDD company"

Number 1 and Number 3 is what I was asked on the phone in march and didn't have a answer to neither of them like I do now

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Sounds like you are in good shape.

So, prep the resume. Email it to yourself to see how it formats after it has been sent as an attachment.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Sounds like you are in good shape.

So, prep the resume. Email it to yourself to see how it formats after it has been sent as an attachment.

I have done that and it shows up fine. Now I just need to master that TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF question just in case I get asked that again.

I still can't believe that no one asked me that question at all on a interview until June of 2012. All my interviews in 1999, 2005, and 2009, I never was asked......."tell me about yourself"

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 AM

Come up with something funny. It usually gets a laugh and often deflects the conversation. Have a couple of good things and a funny thing. I usually throw in my shameless addiction to Farmville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search