Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 AM

170 posts, read 316,406 times

Advertisements

Expensive makes a difference BUT, if it doesn't fit right, it will not make a difference! I'd agree with having a cheap tailored suit. Remember you're not on a date with the HR. All you want is the "confident" look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
I think if you have a tailored suit that fits, does not look too shiny you are fine. What I do is make sure that I have new ties and made sure that I have high quality, polished wing tip shoes. New ties and new shoes will make a good impression. Read this somewhere and confirmed it with some women friends and co-workers that women can see a cheap pair of shoes a mile away. So plan on spending close to $75-$100 for a good pair of black lace up dress shoes. You might not be able to tell the difference between $35 Payless dress shoes and $100 Bass dress shoes, but a woman interviewer can tell.

One last thing is to get dress shirts that fit, have a point collar (no button downs) and make sure that you have them dry cleaned. For me going in with a tailored dress shirt that has a little bit of starch to make it stiff and wrinkle free gives me a confident look.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 AM

190 posts, read 301,895 times
Instead of ten get one decent $200-300 in men's warehouse. Wear clean and polished shoes and a good $20 tie.
Make sure your hands look presentable.
Good luck.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 AM

309 posts, read 515,737 times
My vote is no. Unless your industry standard is suit only like financial services.

Wear something 1) you feel comfortable in, and 2) a cut above what the employees there wear.

By a cut, I mean that if it's "business casual", just wear nice shirt that is in recent style that flatters your build - recent trend is slim so it's good to have one or two on hand that look up-to-date instead of those early 1990s boxy design. Trousers should also match the cut of the shirt, a slimmer look rather than the more roomy style with the pleats.

However, if you look better in more boxy style, then pair the shirt with trousers with pleats would be fine too. The shoes should have proportionate shape to the clothes. Wear socks that match the tone of the trousers typically give you a clean and smart look. No white sports socks.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
not really.. i'm not saying go look like a bum but they are either going to hire you or not even if you are wearing a 500 dollar armani suit

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
not really.. i'm not saying go look like a bum but they are either going to hire you or not even if you are wearing a 500 dollar armani suit
When you compete against hundreds, as it is often the case nowadays, of other applicants then "everything counts" and a clean professional attire can make a lot of difference and show you are serious about the job.

Remember: you only have one chance for first impression and there is no such thing as being "overdressed". Be professional.

Last edited by trialbyfire; 07-01-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Where can I get an Armani suit fo $500? $500 or so is what the lowend suits you can get at Mens Warehouse and JosABank .

Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where can I get an Armani suit fo $500? $500 or so is what the lowend suits you can get at Mens Warehouse and JosABank .
Why won't you leave me alone?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 AM

152 posts, read 493,263 times
One time I had an interview pop-up short notice and so I had to get an outfit right away, the only pants I could find that fit me well without tailoring and matched my jacket were a pair of black slacks from the junior's department at JCPenny's that were only $20. I got the job offer. I think the most important thing is that you look clean cut and your outfit fits you correctly.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
One time I had an interview pop-up short notice and so I had to get an outfit right away, the only pants I could find that fit me well without tailoring and matched my jacket were a pair of black slacks from the junior's department at JCPenny's that were only $20. I got the job offer. I think the most important thing is that you look clean cut and your outfit fits you correctly.
I remember times when Very Big Corporation in Wall Street area banned employees from wearing suits altogether. But this is 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search