Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,614 times

Advertisements

harder to find one when you are no longer employed....
Is this true from your experience? If so, what is the reasoning behind this? I have heard this and have never understood why this is. Please share your knowledge and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
harder to find one when you are no longer employed....
Is this true from your experience? If so, what is the reasoning behind this? I have heard this and have never understood why this is. Please share your knowledge and experience.
Same reason the girl at the bar who attracted 15 guys will have a 16th coming on to her before the one who has attracted 0 all night sees the 1st one arrive.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 PM

114 posts, read 244,898 times
Sometimes employers have this belief that if you've been unemployed for a very long time you are lazy, don't want to work or aren't proactive enough. When in reality the reasons can vary. Sucks.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofny26 View Post
Sometimes employers have this belief that if you've been unemployed for a very long time you are lazy, don't want to work or aren't proactive enough. When in reality the reasons can vary. Sucks.

Exactly. Looking for a job when you're out of work is always more difficult, because of the unfair perception that it's your own fault for being unemployed.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,614 times
Wow, crazy and ridiculous. I actually have a job but have decided that if I can not find an out of state job by the deadline I have given myself, I will move to the new city with saved money and just apply from there, hoping I will get a better shot at landing a job while actually having a city address and living in the city. All I can do is pray. Lol.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
Yep, it's called "no unemployed need apply." (NUNA for short)

It is stupid - imagine a restaurant that only served people that were NOT hungry, or a dating website only for people who are currently married - and sadistic since it is an absolute way to prevent people from getting back to work. Of course, then we're treated to "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" ranters who blame the unemployed for being out of work while ignoring hard-coded barriers such as NUNA which are designed to prevent employment. As always, it is the fault of the unemployed, even though they have no say in the matter and cannot get past the automated resume filters or corporate policies.

Finally, NUNA is also bad for business:

1) There's the macroeconomic effects of creating a permanent underclass of "unemployable" people who are only out of work because they are out of work. While business LOVES to pass the costs for everything on to somebody else, the government and tax payers are in debt or broke. Creating more permanently poor people only makes this situation worse and discourages consumption, which will reduce profits long-term for corporations. Of course, most corporations only care about the short-term - yeah, we laid people off and saved money! - and many of them are basically run as personal bank accounts for the guys at the top who would be fine if it all crashed so long as they kept their loot, but you still see what I mean - forcing people into poverty does not help business.

2) It is stupid on a short-term basis since it costs more to convince a currently employed worker to switch jobs than it does to hire an unemployed worker. The guy who's out of a job will appreciate being hired and won't be demanding about pay or benefits, while the currently employed worker will negotiate a higher rate since he needs a reason to jump ship. There's also the long-term effects of only hiring job-hoppers (people who will frequently change companies if offered a bit more pay) since they will never develop the institutional knowledge a corporation needs to be successful... again, this is a long-term problem, and most "corporate leaders" are too dense to understand it. Only hiring currently employed mercenaries while laying off the expensive "old people" is a sure-fire way to eventually have a company full of people who have no idea what they are doing.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofny26 View Post
I don't think it is so much as viewed as lazy but viewed as.....

So... no one else wants you, what is wrong with you? Why would I Want you?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM

29 posts, read 44,823 times
in before njbest, gatornation, pnsq, and that other guy to play devil's advocate.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
in before njbest, gatornation, pnsq, and that other guy to play devil's advocate.
So... what was your point?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
If I were single I would not date anyone not currently married, according to this logic. On the other hand, "Company confidential" ads will only be answered by the unemployed. Or those who soon will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search