U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 9,387,154 times

Advertisements

Any tips concerning this?

I've kinda fallen into my past setups, this one, (Bout to get the offer) the pay is low (About $50K, think I can get it up to about $60) But the reason I'm interested in it is non-monitary bennifits, opportunity to go back to school, flexability to do some real estate, there's also some 1-5 day classes I want to take that will benefit my potential employer.
They currently pay me 6 figures, on a contract basis (I am interested also in this being contract, not regular employment, I have healthcare covered.) I've got a pretty good semi-friend relationship with the owner who is who I'll be speaking to, but he and I both bargain pretty hard. (But enjoy it)

I'm looking at this for less than 2 years, potentially less than one once I get the classes I want done.

Any tips?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM

152 posts, read 450,401 times
You need to give him a substantial reason as to why you're asking for more money/benefits/flexibility, whatever. Think of something that will make your new employer go ' Oh, you have a point, I guess I will increase the benefits/money...' As long as you back up you reasoning for negotiating and comport yourself in a confident manner, You shouldn't have any problems unless the employer really doesn't plan on budging.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
You need to give him a substantial reason as to why you're asking for more money/benefits/flexibility, whatever. Think of something that will make your new employer go ' Oh, you have a point, I guess I will increase the benefits/money...' As long as you back up you reasoning for negotiating and comport yourself in a confident manner, You shouldn't have any problems unless the employer really doesn't plan on budging.

The reason is they want ME to work at a position with more responsibility, more regulated, with less money.
(Than they have been paying my LLC for the last 6 months)
-New company financing, restructuring, the 'Bobs' were here....

I might (Might not) IF the non-monetary beenies make it worthit.

I'd be using the time to be better set up for the 6 figure jobs...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The reason is they want ME to work at a position with more responsibility, more regulated, with less money.

Then that's your reason. I can't believe they thought you'd be ok with that in the first place...I guess they low-ball and hope.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
Then that's your reason. I can't believe they thought you'd be ok with that in the first place...I guess they low-ball and hope.
He was clear they didn't expect me to say yes... but, the stability will allow me to do the education, and I've got some other developing opportunities for my LLC if they allow me the flexibility...

I'm somewhat tempted. (Depends on flexibility)

Also the base pay will allow me (On paper) to get the 4 plex I want, it's part of my 5 year plan.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:
He was clear they didn't expect me to say yes... but, the stability will allow me to do the education, and I've got some other developing opportunities for my LLC if they allow me the flexibility...

I'm somewhat tempted. (Depends on flexibility)

Also the base pay will allow me (On paper) to get the 4 plex I want, it's part of my 5 year plan.
It's seems that at this point in your life, the benefits outweigh the pay (at least for the next 2 years). I would try and negotiate for more pay, but then take the job. At least you would have negotiated and there wouldn't be any what-ifs regarding that once you accept the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search